Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: HDD drone / hum

Title
    Thanks

HDD drone / hum

Hello

Installed HDD (500gb 5400rpm 16mb cache seagate) in to my box last night but it's making the box hum / drone, most notably when box is off as TV isn't masking it a bit. It's weird, as if I am sat on sofa or on the floor I can't hear it, but if I stand up I can hear at and it's annoying. Box is in a wooden tv unit. Didn't make this noise before install.

Could someone help me with some settings to stop it?

1) HDD standby / sleep - what should this be ideally? 1,2,5 minutes? What exactly does this do and what effects would it have being set at 1 rather than 5?

2) Timeshift - the wife loves using timeshift, but quite often will turn the tv off leaving the box in timeshift which really annoys me haha. Should I set timeshift to start automatically after 1 minute and is the best place to save it to the HDD or should I set timeshift to go to USB? If timeshift isn't set to run automatically I can't rewind off the bat if we want to go and re-see something.
    Is there any way of setting timeshift so it stops after 3 hours or something so if she does just turn the tv off it's not just recording one whacking great file?

3) Should I be putting box in to standby or deep standby overnight. What is the difference? Does the EPG and ABM automatically wake the box to refresh the data as I have these set for early morning updates. Should I download EPGrefresh plugin or is this not needed with the VIX image?

Sorry for all the questions guys!

Title
    Thanks
    Anyone got any tips?
    Technomate Nano 3T Combo

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    HDD fitted tightly?

Title
    Thanks
    it takes a 250 mate not a 500 hard drive mate

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by simon123 View Post
    it takes a 250 mate not a 500 hard drive mate
    What are you on about?

Title
    Thanks
    Haha. Regardless of the imaginary requirement to have a 250gb hdd, I managed to solve the droning using some ultra soft 'acoustifeet'
    Technomate Nano 3T Combo

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by intrigue View Post
    Haha. Regardless of the imaginary requirement to have a 250gb hdd, I managed to solve the droning using some ultra soft 'acoustifeet'
    I was going to suggest fitting some Rubber Grommets but you seem to have fixed it now