Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Infinite Boot Loop

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Infinite Boot Loop

Hi all

Don't get me wrong but I do consider myself a noob for a bit longer. However I learn best through breaking things and rebuilding them - but importantly, learning from my mistakes! (That's my ass covered )

I have had my Solo2 for some months now as I'm not out of contract with Sly until then end of this month (Sept). I started with Blackhole but TBH found this over complicated with too many options and most important, no documentation.

Enter OpenViX! Wow, this is great! A manual and a far simpler interface. I struggled with both BH and OpenViX TBH with the bouquet creation and scanning of channels but the ABM makes things so much simpler!

So - My hat off to you guys as I'm staying with OpenViX

Now my problem.

I have a backup from the weekend that work fine but since then (Sunday) I downloaded what may of been an incompatible wallpaper. Now my box errors after a few seconds, displays a dump error on screen and reboots/re-starts the Enigma engine. This loop just continues until I hard power off the receiver.

Because of the continuous loop I do not get the option to blow the firmware from a power-on in stand-by mode. If I hard power of the receiver the option to blow the firmware is not available.

I've seen a thread to ftp to the box but does the ftp daemon stay up during an Enigma reboot?

TIA

Kenny

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    yes during a e2 bootloop FTP and telnet can still be accessed, if your issue is just a corrupt skin you can FTP into the skin directory and delete the offending files.

FTP to /usr/share/enigma2/ and delete the folder that corresponds with the name of the skin you installed.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

o0kenn0o (15-09-14)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    yes during a e2 bootloop FTP and telnet can still be accessed, if your issue is just a corrupt skin you can FTP into the skin directory and delete the offending files.

FTP to /usr/share/enigma2/ and delete the folder that corresponds with the name of the skin you installed.
    Thanks Pheonix! PS Where can I find the dump files just in case the deletion of the wall paper does not resolve my problem? And just to add to this - I can't accidentally delete the default wallpaper from this same directory too and make things just as bad?
    Last edited by o0kenn0o; 15-09-14 at 12:04.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    what do you mean by dump files ?.

Logs are by default saved to /home/root/logs/

backups are saved to /media/hdd/backup/ (or what ever you use as a storage medium).
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Sorry - I'm a windows boy

Yes, the logs I was after!

Thanks again.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Unhappy

Mornig all.

OK - I deleted the folders I was confident in proving to myself that these were add-ons based on the name of the folder and install date, but no luck. I'm obviously missing something as the wallpaper is one of the downloaded options and is still be applied. Could someone direct me to the JPG path that is used for the backdrop please and I'll try again.

I have the logs here at work (one attached) with me but I think the attached screen dump maybe of more use?

Any help would be much appreciated as I fear I may have a brick in my midst
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Title
    Thanks
    Just reflash box with a fresh image and start over,save all the messing around..

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mann View Post
    Just reflash box with a fresh image and start over,save all the messing around..
    I totally agree but I thought the box *had* to be powered on from the front touch button to be able to flash the unit which isn't an option with the infinite reboot I am experiencing? If that's not the case then my USB pen must be FUBAR -> I have a good quality alternative with me now with the image installed, I'll try that as previous attempts to flash just ignored the pen drive and the box would spin up OpenViX.

Thanks for your help all!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    How quick is the bootloop because I would have thought that you could still get away with inserting usb in front usb slot and turning off the switch on back, wait a few seconds and turn back on again and the box would detect the usb and prompt about flashing and so long as it prompts for flashing (ie pressing power key) and you're quick enough then it would ignore the existing image and flash what is on usb.

I'd have thought the solo2 would do this as a normal procedure before trying to load the image (ie Apollo) in case of corrupted images.
    Last edited by bbbuk; 16-09-14 at 21:37.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    If the receiver has detected a viable image on the USB stick at bootup it will present you with the option of flashing that for at least 5 seconds before it then boots into the onboard image, so check the image structure is correct on the stick and / or try other sticks.

A full flashing tutorial can be found on our download site www.openvix.co.uk

SIMPLES.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

bbbuk (16-09-14)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi all

Thanks for your advice - it was the dam USB stick

The same stick I have been using to flash and store the EPG up until my problems began. A good quality Lexar drive has sorted it now with the latest image (032) installed like a dream and a restore got me up in no time.

Thanks again

Title
    Thanks
    Hi
    enigma 2 but perablam

Help me
    Tank

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imtiaz_2007 View Post
    Hi
    enigma 2 but perablam

Help me
    Tank
    Start your own thread. Describe your problem as fully as possible.

If you continue tagging along to other threads that are not related, you won't get to a solution.