Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sorry feeds are down for maintenance, try again later.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    There was a force read thread on this very forum announcing that build 032 required a re flash due to changes in the image feeds. Plus at least half a dozen other threads on the forum, so even if the thread with the change logs was not updated there was still more than enough notification for users to be aware of the need to re flash.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    Generally speaking, when a reflash is required, a manadtaory read thread is created and everybpdy logging on to forum is required to read it. Including moderators and beta testers. You wouldn't know who read taht a refalsh of 32 was required at 01:44 on 12/09/2014?

The changelogs is copied and pasted from changes on the GIT (where code is stored). I see your point about stating that reflash is required on changelogs. But someone has to log on, raed a mandatory read thread to be able to access it. There is a twitter feed too.

We don't post messages on people's receivers. What would you suggest as an improvement?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    We don't post messages on people's receivers. What would you suggest as an improvement?
    It would have helped me a lot (and I am subscribed to the forum - others may not be) to get a message saying that a re-flash to a later version was needed rather than the message saying that feeds were down (which sounds like a temporary event, when in fact it is permanent).

And and unrelated query on re-flashing. When I did it the box rebooted after re-flashing, at which point (presumably as the USB stick with the miraclebox/ directory was still there) the query was displayed on the front-panel again.
    Whilst I was thinking, "this isn't mentioned in the documentation - should I just ignore it" (and checking the documentation to confirm that fact) the box just continued to reboot anyway, and all was well.

BUT, I also noticed that there is a noforce file in the firmware directory and if that is renamed to force then the query is not presented, the firmware update is done anyway. So I'm wondering whether that just leaves you in a loop, with it continually upgrading to what it has already just upgraded to.

Just wondering....

Title
    Thanks
    Yes you are correct. If file is named force, a flash takes place without a prompt, you are in effect forced to do it. when named noforce, you get teh prompt.

I don't know what literature you are refrring to, but the flashing guide says the following.

Code:
    Flashing the Receiver.

Fully power the receiver down via the rear rocker switch.

Make sure no USB devices are plugged into the receiver at this point.

Insert the USB stick containing the image files into one of the USB ports on the receiver.

Power the receiver on.

When the receiver powers up you will see the message “press ok to upgrade” on the 
    receivers display. Press the OK button now, This is a touch sensitive button.

During the flashing process you should see the message “upgrading” on the receivers 
    display, DO NOT power the receiver down during this process.

If successful the receiver will reboot it self after the flashing process has completed.

Most receivers give you this prompt. For the receivers that don't prompt, people have been known to setup their image, reboot forgetting to take out the USB stick.
    If you can think of an improvement, please feel free to share it.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    I don't know what literature you are refrring to, but the flashing guide says the following.

Code:
    If successful the receiver will reboot it self after the flashing process has completed.

Most receivers give you this prompt.
    I was referring to the (printed!) manual which arrived with the Miraclebox, and it says what you quoted. The issue is that when the reboot happens after the firmware upgrade the prompt for "Press OK to upgrade" appears on the front panel again and I (at least for a moment) wondered whether it had failed and was asking me to retry.

Quote Originally Posted by and also
    If you can think of an improvement, please feel free to share it.
    All I could suggest would be a prompt to remove the USB stick and get the user to press OK on the front-panel again before the reboot takes place, but I have no idea whether this is possible.

It's a minor point. Documenting that the prompt will occur again if the USB stick is still in pace and that it should be ignored would also do.

Title
    Thanks
    The Technomates have this prompt after completion. So should be possible. This is for the manufacturer, not image teams though.

Would changing this
    Code:
    Please note.
    It is perfectly safe and advisable to keep a image on your USB stick for backup reasons. The image [/FONT]
    will only be flashed to the receiver if you press the OK button when instructed to, if you dont press [/FONT]
    OK button the receiver will bypass the files on the USB stick boot as normal.
    to
    Code:
    Please note.
    It is perfectly safe and advisable to keep an image on your USB stick for backup reasons. The image
    will only be flashed to the receiver if you press the OK button when instructed to. If you don't press the
    OK button, the receiver will bypass the files on the USB stick boot the newly flashed image.
    be fine

Title
    Thanks
    Well, I don't keep a USB stick in the front of my box and since I can download the image from a web-site I don't keep on any USB stick I have anyway.
    The"oddity" here is that when you do re-flash and the system reboots, you immediately get asked if you want to flash (upgrade) again.
    So all that is needed is a note that during re-flashing the reboot will occur, and that the prompt can be ignored to let the normal reboot (to the now new firmware) proceed.
    So just add this to the original:

NOTE: that when you do re-flash the system will reboot and the "Press OK to upgrade" may be shown again. Ignore this second prompt and the system will re-boot to the new firmware".

Title
    Thanks
    Feeds are up: build 036 is online

Cheers

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I just flashed my Vu+ with build 036, and chose the settings backup stored on the HDD, from build 025, but even so it failed to download the plugins. Now I get the "ordinary" Feeds are down-message when I try to download the plugins.

Did I do something wrong when I used the backup from build 025, or are the feeds simply down..?

Title
    Thanks
    im not getting the upgrade prompt when i reboot the box.
    i have done everything as advised.
    usb stick is formatted to fat32.
    copied the folder with the image files onto it but still nothing it just loads as normal.

build im downloading is the latest 36

am i doing anything wrong?
    Last edited by gunner786; 17-09-14 at 17:32.

Title
    Thanks
    I also have just done an update and am getting the Feeds are Down message when trying to restore the plugins.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamram View Post
    I just flashed my Vu+ with build 036, and chose the settings backup stored on the HDD, from build 025, but even so it failed to download the plugins. Now I get the "ordinary" Feeds are down-message when I try to download the plugins.

Did I do something wrong when I used the backup from build 025, or are the feeds simply down..?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bangorbob For This Useful Post:

Hamram (17-09-14)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    That is correct: at this moment build 37 and the feeds are being uploaded, so the feeds are indeed not available.
    So try again later.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamram View Post

As far as I am aware the feeds are currently down or technically set to "updating" status while the next build version is being built and uploaded to the servers, this should not take too long, so try again in a hour or so and see.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    If you are rebooting the box (not only GUI), and this occurs, I would try another USB stick. I had a stick that suddenly didn't play this game anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by gunner786 View Post
    im not getting the upgrade prompt when i reboot the box.
    i have done everything as advised.
    usb stick is formatted to fat32.
    copied the folder with the image files onto it but still nothing it just loads as normal.

build im downloading is the latest 36

am i doing anything wrong?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12