Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Whats the best way to check Cable signal

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Whats the best way to check Cable signal

My SNR is 65% and AGC 76% i do get some channels breaking up (what would be a good signal level) and whats the best method to measure cable signal without spending lots Thanks for any help

Apollo 005
    Duo2
    DVB-C plug and play tuner (from WOS)

The reason i think its signal related is the channels i experience breaking up also come up with 0% SNR and tune failed messages other channels are solid
    Last edited by Alanp; 13-06-14 at 10:35. Reason: Added more info
    VU+Duo2 5.2.025

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alanp View Post
    My SNR is 65% and AGC 76% i do get some channels breaking up (what would be a good signal level) and whats the best method to measure cable signal without spending lots Thanks for any help

Apollo 005
    Duo2
    DVB-C plug and play tuner (from WOS)

The reason i think its signal related is the channels i experience breaking up also come up with 0% SNR and tune failed messages other channels are solid
    Mine is exactly the same readings and no problems here at all with any channels, I would check all connectors as loose or not properly made connections will kill it on the error rate, also make sure you use a good quality splitter. My first suspect for a dodgy connection would be the standard aerial plug that goes into the tuner.
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information here on my posts are hypothetical in nature, out of curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Use of the collective descriptions and knowledge from any of my posts are at YOUR discretion
    I am not responsible for what you do with it

Want to know about cardsharing see Here

Want clone support see Here

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

If you have had a problem that you started a thread about and found your own solution please post back to let everyone know how you solved it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell For This Useful Post:

Alanp (13-06-14)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks can you recomend a good quality 3 way splitter ones on ebay seem to cheap to be good
    VU+Duo2 5.2.025

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Most of the problems with cable signal is not wrong signal level (99% of the time your provider delivers good level at your connection point), but your own distribution in house.
    It is essential to use good internal cables and connectors. The biggest problem these days are external disturbance (4G, remote light switches etc). The old type cable as delivered with your VCR in the old days is now crap.
    Also have a good look at your splitters (if used). Every (good) 2 way splitter has around 4 to 5 dB loss of signal.

Best way do a check first with 1 good cable direct from your provider connection point to the receiver and see how the signal / quality is.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peterj For This Useful Post:

Alanp (13-06-14)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    The one I use is a Konig (5-2400MHz 3dB insertion loss) but there are plenty of others, think Maplin do one for about £6
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information here on my posts are hypothetical in nature, out of curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Use of the collective descriptions and knowledge from any of my posts are at YOUR discretion
    I am not responsible for what you do with it

Want to know about cardsharing see Here

Want clone support see Here

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

If you have had a problem that you started a thread about and found your own solution please post back to let everyone know how you solved it

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxwell For This Useful Post:

Alanp (13-06-14)