Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Duo2 Dead - White LED / Blank VFD and no Boot

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    26 degrees is when the box is in deep. Normal temperature readouts for STB's is 40 - 75 degrees. The actual SoC will be far hotter but we depend on where the sensor is located.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    26 degrees is when the box is in deep. Normal temperature readouts for STB's is 40 - 75 degrees. The actual SoC will be far hotter but we depend on where the sensor is located.
    Take a look at the picture I just took it shows 25C on the TV screen - the box has been running all evening non stop - Rob explain the temperature in the picture - the Duo2 has been in use for hours.

You have the same Duo2 as me - so you are saying the ViX Temperature readout on the information page is totally meaningless?

So Rob where are you getting your "meaningful" temperature readings from?

If what you are saying is true then ViX massively underreports the operating temperature of the box - how massively stimulating for sales of new boxes!!! What a money spinner.

Are you saying there is more than one temperature sensor in a Duo2? How many temperature sensors are you saying there are? Beyond the one in the HDD.

So according to you that is one temperature sensor integrated into the main Intergrated Circuit / CPU and another thermo-diode/resistor sticking out of the motherboard?

I have rested my finger on top of the Screen Temp.jpgblack heat-sink directly over the CPU in the past and it is pretty cool - nowhere near 75 degrees - but Rob do you mean C or F ?

So if there is a second temperature sensor other than the one producing the 25C reading then why does ViX give only the reading that is meaningless according to you - so how does one go about accessing the meaningful true reading to which you refer???? And why does ViX according to you ignore that reading?

Lets all get to the bottom of this for once and for all - thrash the temperature issues out or keep paying for replacement boxes & repairs - due only to unchecked heat & odd / different temperature readings.

Best Regards

PS Are your heat-sinks firmly attached to your CPU's - there is no visible fixing method so I presume it is glued on with what should be thermally conductive glue - Sky HD boxes CPU Heat-sinks were glued on to the Thomson MK4 Generation Sky HD box - and that one kept falling off when the glue regularly went bad - the HDD caddy above the CPU kind of stopped it coming completely adrift but it still meant zero effective CPU cooling - even worse if a DiYer superglued it back into place the glue either acted as a thermal insulator or depending on the solvent content of the glue the glue would occasionally smoulder - the MK6 Sky HD boxes by Amstrad (god help us all) use a spring steel "Z" clip and a thermal interface pad - a lot more reliable than the thermal glue - has an unscrupulous retail dealer been breaking the glue bond between Duo2 CPU and Heat-sink?? Or is it cack handed owners recklessly installing Hard disks??
    Last edited by :-); 29-09-15 at 22:27.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post
    If what you are saying is true then ViX massively underreports the operating temperature of the box - how massively stimulating for sales of new boxes!!! What a money spinner.
    The level of paranoia in this thread has reached peak.
    If you have a well working box, enjoy it.
    If any box has a hardware failure & is still covered under warranty, use it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (30-09-15)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    The level of paranoia in this thread has reached peak.
    If you have a well working box, enjoy it.
    If any box has a hardware failure & is still covered under warranty, use it.
    Exactly, I couldn't have said it better.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (30-09-15)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Think this thread has run its course, closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Joe_90 (30-09-15)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123