Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cable ABM

Title
    Administrator
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,096 Times in 4,733 Posts
    moved to correct section.
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Release notes can be found in the About screen by pressing epg/info
    Rules can be found HERE - Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite HERE

2. The Following User Says Thank You to andyblac For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (29-05-14)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I've got a cable/t2 tuner on order from sponsor now that Vu have shipped me a replacement box (2 weeks to work out they couldn't fix it....) so some time over the weekend I will be getting my hands into this, slightly of topic question will the tuner loop all frequencys thru to my VM box or will they be limited. Ta.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    You can split a "cable" cable without restrictions although you get a bit of signal loss.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yeah I know, thats what I was looking to avoid, in no way do I want affect the power levels of my modem...

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    What does a modem have to do with a cable-signal

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Cable TV and Cable broadband come down the same cable.

You should be fine with split. They sometimes add attenuators to reduce signal.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Nothing will 'stress' the modem if you loopthrough/split signal.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    when I got my Cable installed in 2000 by NTL I got them to fit extra feeds to my back room
    so I have direct cables to my modem and receiver from the distribution box
    I have the main feed box in the front room with a loop to another box then 1 cable connects to the TV
    then a rather long cable fed through the wall to my back room
    that feeds to another box and that feeds to my main box that feeds my TV & modem
    it sounds complicated but it is simple really, so all my feeds are dedicated Direct feeds from the original cable box and no cable splitters that you can see mmmm
    that's what I thought till I took one of the covers off the wall to decorate and to my surprise
    the special connection Boxes are just basic 3 way cable splitters in a fancy cover and the boxes are only their to make the connections to the cables look tidy
    But at least with me wanting so many connections they ran a new beefed up main cable to my house
    so at the moment I am on 60meg broadband soon to be upped to 100meg Tivo box in my back room and a V+HD box in our lasses front room
    Last edited by nsw9154; 29-05-14 at 22:09.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    Nothing will 'stress' the modem if you loopthrough/split signal.
    Not true, your power levels are balanced at the green box as to how many prepherials you have running on the stream, this is particularly true if TiVo is involved, if you read cable forums many peoples upstream problems are caused by the signal being split to many times causing low power levels.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    The best way to connect your docsis cable 3 modem is on a separate feed.
    Where the cable comes into the house, the first thing is using a splitter to make a feed to your modem and the rest of the house. These splitters should be special made for these purpose (output has different filters). (Our your providers should have delivered a special connectionbox, 1 in, 1 out modem, 1 out tv and 1 out radio).
    So modem is connected direct after first splitter. Nothing else should be connected to that feed.

The rest in the house can be done 2 way (or a combi of it).
    Use 1 feed for the rest of the house. Therefore you must use loop through connection boxen. The disadvantage of this is the damping of 15dB in each box .
    The best way is to use a distribution amplifier. It amplifies the signal before splitting it into multiple feeds.
    Remember to use at the end of the feed an end-connection box. Never leave a feed 'open'. Also when you are not using outlets of a splitter or distribution amplifier, terminate the outlet with a special 75ohm cap.
    Last edited by Peterj; 30-05-14 at 08:16.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Peterj For This Useful Post:

bassethound (01-06-14)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    20140530_110519.jpg
    this is a genuine virmin splitter with virmin leads that I am using for the time being to connect my miraclebox & Tivo boxes from the original feed
    strangely enough I never noticed before now that it labelled set top box/cable modem i have the Tivo connected via the cable modem outlet and the picture is perfect
    and the miraclebox connected via the set top box outlet and the picture quality is well cack I thought it would be the other way around
    I will have to get a dedicated set top box splitter and check the difference, I will swap the connections round later and see if they change

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Trust me mate, your power levels are set at the cabinet for your tivo to work correctly with your modem, you may have to disconnect your tivo and play with some attenuators to get a good pic on your Miraclebox.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hello, i have got my cable tuner and NEW duo2, ive set it up and installed, i have my sat tuner set to scan sky england Granada HD, and i have my cable tuner set to 40965 Knowsley 1, in abm i have sky england as def provider and Virmin set to generate main bouquet only in custom bouqet Virmin(tv), i do a scan i get the usual 583 services on sky, then i get 900 and odd on cable scan, but it doesnt put the cable channels in any bouquet, if i choose satellitte button and browse to cable provider, all the channels are in there from my region in alphabetical order and i can view the fta ones, bbc north west etc, why is it not creating a bouquet and putting them in there, help please.
    Thanks.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    edit: i've channged my config to 40967 Preston 1 the area i live in i'm sure is this id now, i used to be in knowlsey area even though i only moved 2 miles. But still no bouqet creation in Apollo, does this actually work yet?

Title
    Thanks
    ABM does work for cable although I have only tested it on a receiver with only a cable tuner.

Double check net Id is correct by comparing with official receiver.

You may wish to enable service type icons in your channel settings as well as adding the provider prefix in ABM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast