Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: timeout for tuner lock

Title
    Thanks

timeout for tuner lock

Hi
    Groundhog day, I'm afraid. This is the third Monday in a row when I have received a brand-new VU+ receiver, and the third time there has been a problem. The first (Ultimo) wouldn't boot after flashing. The second (Duo2) wouldn't respond to remote and now this (another Duo2) won't find any channels. It came with a twin S2 tuner module.
    The first thing I did was see if responded to the remote, which it did, so I thought I was going to have a good day . So, I ran the setup wizard, set the video up, installed my network and set both tuners to simple, single, 28.2E Astra, no. I have a single, fixed, Sky dish for the record. I ran ABM, chose Sky England and let it scan. After a few minutes (and finding no channels), it said 'time out for tuner lock'. Since then, I have tried various different scans, and different providers and it has never found anything. Also, when it has tried a scan, it seems to run very slowly, and is a bit unresponsive to the remote. I shut it down for 10 minutes or so and it seems ok again, but it still won't find a channel.
    I have an octo lnb with 6 cables coming into the room. I have a skyhd box and a freesat box and they work fine (90% strength, 100% quality signal) and I've tried swapping the cables about, so it isn't the feed from the lnb that's the problem. I have tried just selecting freesat and making it as simple as possible, but it never finds anything. I started with an hdmi cable and hdd connected but now it's a scart with no hdd. I've tried disabling Tuner A and making it use tuner B. I've even re-flashed it twice but nothing makes any difference I really hope that I'm doing something wrong here, cos surely I can't have had 3 faulty machines in as many weeks.
    I do have another twin S2 module which I was going to fit later once it was all up and running. Would it be worth trying that instead of the one that came with it?
    Very much hoping that someone can help, cos I'm out of ideas (again!)
    Thanks very much in advance, Steve

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    Nobody is that unlucky even my step father when he was alive and he was a complete disaster when it came to electrical goods

Anyway reflash then configure just one tuner connect a known good cable to it and leave the other not configured
    Do a normal channel scan ie not ABM so menu>setup>service searching>automatic scan and see what happens
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information here on my posts are hypothetical in nature, out of curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Use of the collective descriptions and knowledge from any of my posts are at YOUR discretion
    I am not responsible for what you do with it

Want to know about cardsharing see Here

Want clone support see Here

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

If you have had a problem that you started a thread about and found your own solution please post back to let everyone know how you solved it

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Maxwell, much appreciated. - I thought maybe I was just jinxed Will try what you suggested and report back.

Title
    Thanks
    ok, I re-flashed, then I did 2 automatic scans, with a reboot in between. First, Tuner A not configured, Tuner B simple, single, 28.2, no. Then I did Tuner A simple, single, 28.2, no, Tuner B not configured. The result of both scans was that it found nothing. I had a twin sat cable removed from (and working fine) in my SkyHD box plugged in. The box was very slow in responding to the remote just after both scans. I've got a horrible feeling here
    Thanks very much, Steve

Title
    Thanks
    Right, I repeated the above test again this morning with a different pair of sat cables, this time removed from my FoxSat (90% strength, 100% quality signal in there) and I didn't specify 28.2, I left it at automatic. Nothing found again, and this time it crashed the box, saying it had encountered a software failure and it needed to be restarted. I did the test twice - nothing.

I've got a SkyHD box that cost me £35 off ebay, a Foxsat box that was £90 and a Skybox f5 that was £50, and none of those have given me any trouble whatsoever. I've flashed the f5 and put custom firmware on the foxsat, added hdd's to all of them, no problem. Yet this £400+ box has been a total nightmare!

I'll contact WoS.co.uk, see what they have to say, thanks for trying to help Maxwell.

Steve

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Very odd that 3 superb boxes don't work - whereabouts in the country are you ?
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information here on my posts are hypothetical in nature, out of curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Use of the collective descriptions and knowledge from any of my posts are at YOUR discretion

If you have had a problem that you started a thread about and found your own solution please post back to let everyone know how you solved it

Title
    Thanks
    East Yorkshire mate. Even if I was in a fringe reception area, it should pick something up, surely?

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    signal should be fine I only asked in case you were somewhere near, I am intrigued as to why you are having such problems and would have popped round but thats way too far
    D I S C L A I M E R

Title
    Thanks
    Ah right, thanks anyway! I'll email WoS, I'm sure they'll be delighted to hear from me!

Steve

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    just a quick one about your LNB setup - Is it a standard sky LNB or has it been replaced by an aftermarket product ? if so which one ?
    Do you have any Diseq switches or anything in there ?
    D I S C L A I M E R

Title
    Thanks
    It's a standard Sky dish, but I fitted an octo lnb a few weeks ago. Off ebay, can't remember the make, it cost me about £20 iirc. It works fine with the other 3 sat receivers I'm using.

Edit: just checked my ebay and I'm non the wiser

"A BRAND NEW MTI THOMSON ZINWELL OR WISTRON OCTO LNB" So, it'll be one of those, then
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 08-04-14 at 09:33.

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    is it just Horizontal on one port and Vertical on another - do you have the ebay link ? if so pm me it please
    D I S C L A I M E R

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    that lnb seems to be ok so that rules out that train of thought
    D I S C L A I M E R

Title
    Thanks
    Right, thanks anyway. There are 2 single cables and 2 twin cables coming down from the dish and I've tried them all. WoS said they tested the unit, including the tuners, before it was sent out, so God-knows what's going on? I'll try my other twin tuner in it but I can't say I'm very hopeful.
    Thanks mate, Steve

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I'll give you £20 for it
    D I S C L A I M E R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast