Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help, new box dead.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    That's looking more promising
    VU+ DUO² (Triple S2 tuners) VIX, 750gb
    TM-Nano 2 Super, 320gb
    GigaBlue HD 800 UE Plus VIX
    TM-Single VIX IT'S ALIVE
    Octagon SF8 VIX (751MHz bootloader)
    MARA M9
    Harmony 700
    DGS108 GBLAN, DIY NAS (8TB) XPEnology
    1.1m dish, 0.1db Quad LNB, GTSAT DM14MG motor
    80cm dish, 2x 0.1db LNB + 1x Quad 0.2db LNB, Disqec 4/1.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Right i watched some tuned channels for a while an the av cable, seemed fine, powered down attached the new HDMI cable that is plugged into an unused hdmi port on my TV, that seemed fine. Powered down, plugged my original hdmi cable in that is plugged into my amp and that seems to be fine, network is now connected and running. I am now going to power down and try vix, then a full re-configure.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Did a fresh flash of zeus 008 and set everything back up and that seemed fine, decided to put the lid back on, then i noticed it, my amp started to switch between PLII and Dolby Digital, it should have been straight dolby digital because downmix was set toff, i knew it was going to crash, and it did, garbled screen again, no response from anything, i'm gutted...

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Ive managed to crash the box a few times now connected to putty and there is nothing in the read out that would suggest a patern, i think the system has overheated and a component or soldering is stressing out causing the crash, the box will have to go back :-(

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
    Ive managed to crash the box a few times now
    Upload one of the crash logs.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Like I said there was nothing in them, the box was just going about its business then lock, like I said I managed to get the box running fine with one tuner connected and the lid off, as soon as I connect all 4 and put the lid on it the hdmi port gradually starts to act flaky then it locks, but there is no dumping of data, it is a total hardware freeze. Ps those tuners get incredibly hot, wow.
    Pops box is now fully boxed, I've emailed supplier, just waiting for him to get back to me.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Reseller didn't get back to me today and I have been too busy to phone, so when I got in i thought I would have another play, so installed latest vti and set it up the best you can do with that so I could have 4 tuners running, the only difference is I have installed the hard drive into an external bus powered case, I had it recording 3 HD channels whist watching another channel, so I've installed Zeus 009 and it up to now it is running smooth, I still have the drive connected externally, I will see how it goes. And if fine I may put the drive back in the case tomorrow night. (2.5" sata3).
    P.s. the f connectors don't seem to be running as hot at the moment....

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Lasted about an hour, I wasn't even using a tuner I was streaming a recording from the solo2
    :-(

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Menu -> Information -> About, what's the system temp?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    You can't access anything when it locks, and it will only power on again when the cord has been unplugged for a considerable amount of time , so I can't get an accurate reading of what the temperature is when it locks, it is definatly over heating, my guess is the CPU. I haven't heard anything from the seller yet, I will phone him if I get time , I'm so busy at work at the moment, I may get time to sit and observe the temperature tonight what would be reasonable temperature with 4 tuners connected and a couple of recordings going on?

eastof111
    When I received my receiver with dual twins, I measured some temps with a laser digital thermometer while viewing an sd sat channel.

The laser pointer aimed at the center of the black heat sink displayed 125F. After adding an internal fan and a lap top cooler under the receiver, I have observed a high of 32C to a low of 26C displayed on the lcd screen. Your mileage will vary with the room temperature.

If you feel the cpu is overheating, you might check the black heat sink to see if it moves. It should be firm and no evidence of movement. There's always the possibility the thermal glue used was not applied correctly. Then again, if it's an intermittent short, I think it would be time to ask for a replacement.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I'm currently looking into the theory it might be this Technomate octo lnb that I have just got, that is glitching the box to either overheat or lock up, I can't get home in daylight so as to go on the roof and put the old quad back on..,.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I managed to get on the roof last night, I checked all my connections where fine, and put my old quad lnb back on and connected 2 feeds to solo2, 2 feeds to duo2 as well as a motorised feed into the duo2 and everything up to now is going swimmingly, I've got a normal zinwell octo on order and as soon as that arrives all get all the other feeds connected, I'm now pretty sure the Technomate lnb was the problem, maybe the gain was to high, maybe it was just faulty, I just hope those lock ups haven't caused long term damage to the box.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Ive since recieved my Zinwell octo lnb and all seems to be running fine now so i don't know what was wrong with the Technomate lnb that it was causing these problems, the duo2 REALLY didn't like it, it was only when i twigged that my solo2 and freesat tv where also showing signs of glitching when one of the other trio was changing or activating a tuner that i fugured what it was, maybe the gain is too high, maybe its just faulty, i'm glad all seems to be sorted now and like i said before i hope the lock ups and heat that caused havn't caused any long term damage to the box.
    p.s. the only equipment connected to the Technomate lnb that didn't suffer any adverse signs was my Technomate nano oe....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12