Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Signing up

Title
    Thanks

Signing up

Hi,

Although very inexperienced with developing images for Linux STB I have been developing software in various languages for about 8 years and I'd like to try sign up to contribute to this project, as a hobby.

At this point I'm probably going to be asking more questions than I'm answering but I'm keen to know if I could help in any way?

thanks,
    Mick

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MalteseMick For This Useful Post:

acco (06-11-10)

Title
    Administrator
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,096 Times in 4,733 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MalteseMick View Post
    Hi,

Although very inexperienced with developing images for Linux STB I have been developing software in various languages for about 8 years and I'd like to try sign up to contribute to this project, as a hobby.

At this point I'm probably going to be asking more questions than I'm answering but I'm keen to know if I could help in any way?

thanks,
    Mick
    what coding language do you know ?, the main enigma2 and all plugins are coded in python. i knew nothing about about python at all, when we started our ViX image,

so if you want to help out, that great and would be welcome, but if i where you i would start my looking at the plguin folder open up some .py files and search the net and see if you can understand any of it. i just dont really have the time to start to train anyone, i don't mean to sound harsh, it just i at present am the sole coder, and we all have lives, but if you can understand it. i have coupe if little plugin projects that you code try to code. but i don't really want to give anyone access to our code without knowing you.

hope you understand
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Release notes can be found in the About screen by pressing epg/info
    Rules can be found HERE - Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite HERE

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    As andy says, if you've got some programming experience it should be quite easy to pick up.

I haven't had any experience of python either, but from my c/c+ experience, I can kind of understand the code. Biggest problem I have is getting the time to do any coding...

Managed to get a sample plugin running, but not had time to work on any real polygons yet :-(

So if you can fill us in with any experience you have...
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    Thanks
    I'm currently a windows developer with C#. I have however worked quite a bit in the past with PHP, VB6 and ASP. I've ran a few websites on Linux servers and as you would imagine have a decent amount of experience with configuring scripts to work in different environments. I've never worked with Python but hopefully it's one of those things that when you know one language it only takes a bit of googling to find the syntax to do it in another language. From what I can see with VIX so far, you seem to be mostly integrating external already written code or modifying existing engima2 code to make it's integration more seemless.

I think I'd see my contribution as being an extension of this, in that there is functionality there which is good but could be done better with a few changes - the likes of the Virtual Zap (in my opinion) would be better as a default for scrolling through channels rather than the default being the traditional enigma2 big EPG and instant channel changes on left and right, the virtual zap should have a one button record like Sky+ which will automatically record the program you're scrolling through without any extra steps - and also let you scroll further than Now and Next.

Other things include Cool EPG's channel text being too big and difficult to follow (and I can't seem to find a page down button). Modifying (non code) aspects of this to make it easier to read as well as again adding a one-button-record function (this might be there too but haven't seen it) would make the whole image more user friendly.
    Last edited by MalteseMick; 07-11-10 at 16:29.

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 826 Posts
    Mick - Been looking at the coding of python myself, here
    Code:
    http://www.python.org/
    been a long time since I did any sort of coding (Fortran, C, C++) though so I dont think I could help much. good luck tho
    Last edited by Maxwell; 07-11-10 at 16:35.

Title
    Administrator
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,096 Times in 4,733 Posts
    I'm currently a windows developer with C#. I have however worked quite a bit in the past with PHP, VB6 and ASP. I've ran a few websites on Linux servers and as you would imagine have a decent amount of experience with configuring scripts to work in different environments. I've never worked with Python but hopefully it's one of those things that when you know one language it only takes a bit of googling to find the syntax to do it in another language. From what I can see with VIX so far, you seem to be mostly integrating external already written code or modifying existing engima2 code to make it's integration more seemless.
    not at all, i coded all our vix plugin from scratch , but yes i have fixed alot of peoples plugin to work better with integration the problem when wrinting plugins is that they tend to create them of all images, but this does sometimes not work, think of it like microsoft windows for all pc hardware, and osx just for macs.

I think I'd see my contribution as being an extension of this, in that there is functionality there which is good but could be done better with a few changes - the likes of the Virtual Zap (in my opinion) would be better as a default for scrolling through channels rather than the default being the traditional enigma2 big EPG and instant channel changes on left and right, the virtual zap should have a one button record like Sky+ which will automatically record the program you're scrolling through without any extra steps - and also let you scroll further than Now and Next.
    wait till you see our QuickEPG,it based on virtualZap, but you can view all 7 days worth of epg on any channel, add timers, setup autotimers, do a EPG search, do a IMDb search.

Other things include Cool EPG's channel text being too big and difficult to follow (and I can't seem to find a page down button). Modifying (non code) aspects of this to make it easier to read as well as again adding a one-button-record function (this might be there too but haven't seen it) would make the whole image more user friendly.
    it has all of these now, press menu whilst in CoolTVGuide, you can change font sizes, as for page down it is button 8, page up is button 2, and the REC button should record the item highlighted.

andy.
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Release notes can be found in the About screen by pressing epg/info
    Rules can be found HERE - Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite HERE