Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: whats maximum size external hard drive i can use >?

Title
    Thanks

whats maximum size external hard drive i can use >?

i was thinking of buying a 2tb external hard drive too fill up with movies and plug into back off my box (it will be bus powered so should be fine right , will it be able too utilise this size drive ?
    also anyone know what file types it can read , it will only be movies going on there and i will reserve something like 500gb for recording of tv programmes .

thanks
    dan

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    The Nano wil take an internal drive & would be more reliable.
    If you do want to use an external, I'd use a mains powered one, not USB powered.
    2TB will be fine.

Title
    Thanks
    why mains powered ?
    i would want too leave it on constantly , for the box too download epg info and what not . i thought it would be bad for the drive if it was on constantly so thats why i opted for a usb powered one .

but i dont know if what i fear is even a issue ? will the mains powered one just shut down when not in use ?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have a WD usb3 bus powered 500gb on mine and I prefer it, I previously had an internal and found it acoustically displeasing.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMacFunkin View Post
    I have a WD usb3 bus powered 500gb on mine and I prefer it, I previously had an internal and found it acoustically displeasing.
    I use a small piece of self adhesive foam tape between the HDD and the cradle and have no issues with the drive making a noise.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    its all well and good making adaptions too stop this box sounding like a washing machine on spin, but it should not be down too the customer too make them. why cant technomate sort it out ?
    they couldnt even fit the fans the right way around for god sake (sponsor told me )
    i am happy with my box in every other way but build quality is awful - hoping my replacement fan will sort out the washing machine spin cycle sound .

also i was told that this box couldn't power a usb powered drive and too get one you plug into the mains .

thanks
    dan

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dan44762000 View Post
    its all well and good making adaptions too stop this box sounding like a washing machine on spin, but it should not be down too the customer too make them. why cant technomate sort it out ?
    they couldnt even fit the fans the right way around for god sake (sponsor told me )
    i am happy with my box in every other way but build quality is awful - hoping my replacement fan will sort out the washing machine spin cycle sound .

also i was told that this box couldn't power a usb powered drive and too get one you plug into the mains .

thanks
    dan
    I'm not going to get involved in another TM rant, fact is my receiver has never given me any issues and the fan is near silent as standard without modification, I did place a wee bit of foam tape between the HDD and cradle, but i always do that as standard on any receiver where it does not come with rubber grommets.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    I'm not going to get involved in another TM rant, fact is my receiver has never given me any issues and the fan is near silent as standard without modification, I did place a wee bit of foam tape between the HDD and cradle, but i always do that as standard on any receiver where it does not come with rubber grommets.
    fair enough but as you can see form posts on this forum , i was not alone in the noisy fan issue and when you pay £100 + for a brand new piece of equipment it is not acceptable .
    and then when sponsors tell you they couldn't even fit the fans correctly that is just amateur .

thanks dan