Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISP Provider Recommendations

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

ISP Provider Recommendations

Ello All,

I am looking to change my broadband and telephone provider.

I have been with O2 for many, many years and they have sold out to Sky! Not that I have anything against Sky but my signal has become significantly worse! My internet now freezes more often than not. My children are now complaining as they can't use their laptops and phones due to the signal strength.

Virgin have offered me a deal that is good but it will mean channelling and changing my Ethernet cables from the back of the house to the front as I believe they will put the router where the cable wire comes into the house. I have flooring on the ground floor so have to find a work around to putting the wires elsewhere! The plus to this is that my speed will increase from 14 to 30mbps.

Any other suggestions of broadband providers appreciated and the reasons why you would recommend them please?

Thank you.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,

You thought of TalkTalk Fibre, it will still use the BT copper wire so will use the same wiring as the SKY, I have talktalk fibre, get a good 37megs to my mobile devices. I am hoping to get the 78megs soon. It cost me around £35 per month for calls anytime and line rental included.
    I am not too keen on virgin only because they throttle thier speeds on peak times and I have personally seen the 30mbps spped drop to under 5mbps. Your choice thought Bro.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    If you go with Virgin, take th 60MB. That way you will get the Super Hub 2 instead of the super dud. They should have enough coaxial cable to position the modem/router to your preferred location.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hello Ismail,

Thank you for replying.

I have looked at talk talk.

There are obviously negative comments on all providers and talk talk have their fair share. I did consider them very strongly as their prices are cheap for normal broadband but their price for fibre works out to £10 more than virgin. Virgin have offered me 30mb, evening and weekend calls for £25. I did not realise they restrict your speed at peak times. I have been told that sky restrict the speed as well and maybe hence my internet problems.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hello Abu,

Thank you for replying.

I just wondered about the router position due to the flooring. They might try and squeeze money out of me for a "non standard" installation! Standard installation is £49.95, I presume that means the easiest place to put the router . . . .

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjhere View Post
    Hello Abu,

Thank you for replying.

I just wondered about the router position due to the flooring. They might try and squeeze money out of me for a "non standard" installation! Standard installation is £49.95, I presume that means the easiest place to put the router . . . .
    Use a wifi repeater in location where you want your router to be and you can let them put router anywhere they want.

Its only a suggestion mind google it and see if it would suit your needs

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    Vu+ Duo
    Vu+ Solo
    Gigablue HD 800 SE

All with latest vix image - Autobouquets - SgtFlipflop 28.2e Picons - WebradioFS

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hello S1m0n,

That is a good suggestion.

I am tempted to drill the holes myself so the installer just needs to feed the wires through the first floor flooring for the router to be put in the back room.

I have never used a WiFi repeater . . . just like I had never used home plugs before two weeks ago!

Just a thought, maybe going into the realms of general computer chat . . . so sorry if this overlaps. I have an Ethernet cable in the front room which hooks onto the vu unit I have, this then goes to the router under the flooring to the back room and router. I put that Ethernet cable in by removing the flooring and I don't want to be doing that again. If the router is put in the front room, can I use that existing Ethernet cable to hook another router in the back room to serve my computer and CCTV system? That way I don't have to re channel any wires!

{{Even I am not sure if what I have written make sense!! . . . sorry}}}. : ((
    Last edited by Sanjhere; 01-12-13 at 00:54.

Title
    Thanks
    I have an Ethernet cable in the front room which hooks onto the vu unit I have, this then goes to the router under the flooring to the back room and router. I put that Ethernet cable in by removing the flooring and I don't want to be doing that again. If the router is put in the front room, can I use that existing Ethernet cable to hook another router in the back room to serve my computer and CCTV system? (
    Yes in a way. However, you will have to set the second one as a repeater, not router.

I hope you do not have the router under the flooring, but mean the wire goes under the floor to the router.

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ismailbmw View Post
    Hi,

You thought of TalkTalk Fibre, it will still use the BT copper wire so will use the same wiring as the SKY, I have talktalk fibre, get a good 37megs to my mobile devices. I am hoping to get the 78megs soon. It cost me around £35 per month for calls anytime and line rental included.
    I am not too keen on virgin only because they throttle thier speeds on peak times and I have personally seen the 30mbps spped drop to under 5mbps. Your choice thought Bro.

Your paying too much buddy.

I would also recommend TT, I have 40MB fiber and get 37 down and 1.5 up. costs me £20 a month with line rental paid for the year,this is fiber,anytime calls and the international boost of 500 free minutes anywhere in the world.

One think I have found with them,there always willing to offer discount. My sister is on ADSL and again with a year line rental up front, her monthly cost is £10PPM with anytime call and international boost.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Hello S1m0n,

That is a good suggestion.

I am tempted to drill the holes myself so the installer just needs to feed the wires through the first floor flooring for the router to be put in the back room.

I have never used a WiFi repeater . . . just like I had never used home plugs before two weeks ago!

Just a thought, maybe going into the realms of general computer chat . . . so sorry if this overlaps. I have an Ethernet cable in the front room which hooks onto the vu unit I have, this then goes to the router under the flooring to the back room and router. I put that Ethernet cable in by removing the flooring and I don't want to be doing that again. If the router is put in the front room, can I use that existing Ethernet cable to hook another router in the back room to serve my computer and CCTV system? That way I don't have to re channel any wires!

{{Even I am not sure if what I have written make sense!! . . . sorry}}}. : ((
    In theory you could just get a modem in the front room and use a router in the backroom or even a if you have the combined virgin modem /router switch but I would go with the router option

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hello Stanman,

So, you would recommend TT?

I am actually very tempted by them . . .

Are you paying £20 after having paid them upfront line rental? Or the £20 is the calculated figure taking into account your upfront payment?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Just phoned talk talk, they don't have fibre in lower Essex!

Offered me a deal of £8 plus line rental. Just phone and broadband . . . no TV or other add ons . . . pushy to get me signed there and then . . . .

Hmmmm . . . . what to do . . . what to do . . .

Title
    Thanks
    They do have fibre next to Leyton Orient

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hello Abu,

Not in my area apparently . . .

I am about 5 miles from Leyton Orient . . .

I think only Virgin have a monopoly on fibre in this area . . . .

Title
    Thanks
    Hello Stanman

phone talktalk today, managed to get the 76 meg fibre with 20 upload for £33, thats £3 lower than what I was paying. This includes the £15 ish for the monthly lne rental.
    How have you managed to get the medium fibre for £20, does that include the line rental????
    Also they have chucked in the Youview box for free, that will go in the bedroom

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast