Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Virgin Media 100Mbps Broadband Officially Launches

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    although i only have a pappy 8meg aol connection ( no cable here ) and my connection is supposed to be on a 40 gig per month cap. i have never once experienced throttling. and i download upwards of 100 gig per day.

Ojustaboo
    Quote Originally Posted by bobonthejob View Post
    Ok...just been on to tech support....

And done more tests....now getting download at 48-50mb/s

But Upload has not been upgraded in my area...Should be bumped up to 5Mb/s in the next month or so.

I also found out that off 200 peeps on my UBR...there is only 20 peeps who have 50MB lines...And the highest utilisation has been 60%...

Happy days......

Also ...only peer to peer and usenet traffic is monitored so to speak...and throttled at 50%... So even then 25Mb/s.... not bad
    I wasn't aware there was any traffic management on their 50 mbit service???

Mind you, I use SSL for my newsgroup access.

Checks virgins t&c ......Hmm it says traffic managemnent applies to all packages with regards to file sharing, then again, if you look at the page linked below, under what package is restricted when, it says N/A under the 50 mbit ones.

Code:
    http://shop.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management/traffic-management-policy.html
    For customers who have had their upload speeds increased
    Customers with Broadband size: XXL (50Mb) – your downstream usage excluding file sharing traffic (see below) remains unaffected and we'll soon be increasing your upload speeds from 1.5Mb to 5Mb. However during peak times we'll need to slow you back to 1.75Mb if your upload usage is particularly high.
    At peak times we also slow down the speed of file sharing traffic – that's services like Limewire, Gnutella, BitTorrent and Newsgroup (Usenet) traffic. You will, of course, still be able to use these services, but downloads and uploads will take longer during these peak periods.
    So it looks like they do restrict it after all, learn something new every day.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ojustaboo For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (21-12-10)

Ojustaboo
    Quote Originally Posted by jjp2701 View Post
    virgin are throttling peoples account, i am on 50 and yesterday on a usenet group i was getting 20mb down. so they are definately monitoring people, and i have ssl encrypt, virgin are very sly like this, i think because 100 mg will come out, and then 50 wont be unlimited, i will gurantee u this will happen
    Last night I downloaded over 40 gig via supernews with SSL, zero throttling took place for me.

Maybe it depends on how many people are subscribed to each hub (or whatever they're called) as I've heard some are over subscribed and Virgin struggle to provide them with the max speed, maybe it's the over subscribed ones that are cut?

Personally the reason I pay what I pay is to be able to download what I want, when I want. I can go 3 weeks with no file downloading at all , just browsing, youtube and online gaming. Then I might need 25GB ASAP and I expect (and so far receive) it at the speed I pay for.

Mind you, I fully expect them to throttle their 50 service when 100 becomes widely available, forcing us to upgrade to keep our unlimited service.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    I've just had a right barmy with Virgil.

I've just bought a belkin playmax router and wanted to continue to use this.

I've been provided with a super hub. I'm not overly pleased with the firmware on it.

What did you guys get? What modem is compatible with the 50mb connection?
    Setup: Vu+ Duo, Orbital 90cm Dish, Technomate TM2600 Motor, Inverto twin LNB

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite HERE

Ojustaboo
    Cant remember what they gave me, in the attic somewhere. I use my netgear WNR3500 with zero problems.

Just don't tell them if you ever have to phone up. Not because they don't allow it, just their script reading support staff will simply spout off that they don't support other routers, even when the fault is obviously nothing to do with it, such as the modem it's self not syncing.

So I have the virgin VMNG300 modem connected to my Netgear router
    Last edited by Ojustaboo; 30-12-10 at 13:32.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Ive just had a look at some googled sites...seems that the super HUB i have is future proof...Apparently the Modems VMNG300 and the V2....wont go pass the 50Mb connections.

The super Hub supports the 100Mb connection too...

I still am peaved because i have my own router...and wanted to use it. When i called them...they said that there is no modem that supports the 50Meg line.... What a lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got an engineer booked in for the 4th Jan.... Separate modem on its way...woohoo.
    Setup: Vu+ Duo, Orbital 90cm Dish, Technomate TM2600 Motor, Inverto twin LNB

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite HERE

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobonthejob For This Useful Post:

bassethound (30-12-10),Sicilian (05-01-11)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234