Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bootlaoder

AJT

Bootlaoder

Hi guys.
    Is there any need to flash a bootloader to this box if you are installing vix as i notice other images require bootloader.
    Many thanks.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    I dont believe there is, although i dont own a quad so may be wrong on that.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    I only had to flash a previous bootloader when i installed the teamred image, all the other images worked on the same bootloader

4. The Following User Says Thank You to richardinspain For This Useful Post:

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    How old is the box, if fairly recent than no as probably updated in factory

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

AJT
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanman View Post
    How old is the box, if fairly recent than no as probably updated in factory
    Box is brand new.is there a boot loader available that's compatible with Vix should it be needed.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    should not need one, if there was a ViX specific bootloader it would be hosted on the openvix site but there is not one. ( dont have a quad so not 100 percent certain ).
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

AJT
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    should not need one, if there was a ViX specific bootloader it would be hosted on the openvix site but there is not one. ( dont have a quad so not 100 percent certain ).
    Hi Pheonix.I think your right as there is not one available in Vix downloads but does no harm to check.
    It won't be running anything but Vix anyway...

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AJT View Post
    Hi Pheonix.I think your right as there is not one available in Vix downloads but does no harm to check.
    It won't be running anything but Vix anyway...
    no worries bud, as i said i cant be 100 percent certain as i have never used one, could i take this thread a little off topic and ask you for a favour ?.

as your going to be using ViX on the box when you get around to it could you give me a full run down of the flash procedure for the quad ? and i'll nock up a flashing tutorial as i have with the Vu's and TM'S etc.

Thanks Larry.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Yes just go ahead and flash with Vix, my box is only about a couple of months old and i had the same questions as you, reading a lot and getting bogged down with bootloader info (as i hadnt had to worry about it with previous box i had) As i said all the gbquad images (except team red) should work on the boot loader already installed..I had to put in a older (i think if i remember correctly) to get the team red image to boot but came back to vix anyway as its nice and stable

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post

as your going to be using ViX on the box when you get around to it could you give me a full run down of the flash procedure for the quad ? and i'll nock up a flashing tutorial as i have with the Vu's and TM'S etc.

Thanks Larry.
    Hi Larry

1, download latest VIX image
    2, Unzip and you are left with a folder called 'Gigablue' (in this folder there is another folder called 'quad' but don't separate them'
    3, Transfer the Gigablue folder to the root of a pen drive/usb stick
    4, Switch off receiver by the rocker switch at the back of the receiver
    5, Insert pen drive/usb stick into usb in the receiver
    6, Switch receiver back on by rocker switch
    7, After a few seconds you should see a message on the front screen of the receiver (not tv screen) which says something like 'detected/found new image/software'
    8, Quickly press the ok button on the front of the receiver (not on the remote control)...you only have a few seconds to do this otherwise it will boot up the image thats on the receiver..If you miss it just turn off receiver and turn back on
    9, Receiver will load image and will tel you this with the front blue led light flashing purple and blue, will take a few mins to load and will boot automatically, DO NOT turn off receiver while flashing

If it doesn't work then it could be the usb stick/pen drive..I had to try 4 before i found a compatable one, also try the usb stick/pen drive in a different usb slot in the receiver

Hope this helps
    Richard

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by richardinspain View Post
    Hi Larry

1, download latest VIX image
    2, Unzip and you are left with a folder called 'Gigablue' (in this folder there is another folder called 'quad' but don't separate them'
    3, Transfer the Gigablue folder to the root of a pen drive/usb stick
    4, Switch off receiver by the rocker switch at the back of the receiver
    5, Insert pen drive/usb stick into usb in the receiver
    6, Switch receiver back on by rocker switch
    7, After a few seconds you should see a message on the front screen of the receiver (not tv screen) which says something like 'detected/found new image/software'
    8, Quickly press the ok button on the front of the receiver (not on the remote control)...you only have a few seconds to do this otherwise it will boot up the image thats on the receiver..If you miss it just turn off receiver and turn back on
    9, Receiver will load image and will tel you this with the front blue led light flashing purple and blue, will take a few mins to load and will boot automatically, DO NOT turn off receiver while flashing

If it doesn't work then it could be the usb stick/pen drive..I had to try 4 before i found a compatable one, also try the usb stick/pen drive in a different usb slot in the receiver

Hope this helps
    Richard
    Many thanks for posting the flash procedure.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    No worries, hope it helps, also just remembered i think the usb stick/pen drive will have to be formatted to fat32

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi Richard.

Many thanks for confirming the flash procedure for me, Here is my first draft, if you could proof read it for me please i'll add it to the forum and download site if all is ok.

SIMPLES.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    v2 of the tutorial with a couple of minor alterations.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Pheonix
    Looks pretty good to me
    although i did get through 2 pairs of underpants

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast