Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorised dish / GB Quad

Title
    Thanks

Question Motorised dish / GB Quad

A bit of help please? At my recommendation, my dad replaced a dead humax hd receiver with the wonderful GB Quad..

When his humax died, dish was pointing nicely at Hotbird (13).

I set up his GB Quad and scanned this Sat initially.. Worked a treat.

ownloaded Cateyes and ran a full scan

and somehow all sats have vanished.. Cant seem to get a lock or signal on any - help/guide/advice please?

Title
    Thanks
    for the record, I dont yet have a sat meter, and have only fiddled in positioner settings to try get a signal (as well as numerous autoscans etc..)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    You only need sat meter for fine tuning the dish. I presume it was tracking the arc correctly, so no need for meter.

How have you configured your tuners?

Title
    Thanks
    Hi, thanks for reply.. I have tried a few configs, but latest is

A - USALS
    B - second cable of motorised dish (or whatever it is)
    C - not configured
    D - not configured

Im supposed to set c and d to equal to b I believe, but equal to only gives me tuner A in the options.

I managed to lock onto a signal earlier (pure luck) for the first time since losing sats, and GB Quad thought it was Hotbird 13 - but scanning only returned 200 odd channels which research showed were on Eutelsat 9.. First scan of Hotbird before any config returned over 2000.. So I knew it wasnt right.. Also, fine tuning, the best I could get (SNR?) was 46%

I cant seem to get a lock on anything and after re-installing catseye I lost all sats again...

Setup is quite a few years old and hasnt really moved off Hotbird for at least 5 yrs before now...

I have factory rest GB a few times but it doesnt seem to remove the Catseye - coz after fresh setup I go to download and its not in list, and if I choose a new one, it warns me of the one already installed.

The dish setup.was fitted by an actual installer, not a DIY.. But last time we changed receiver he moaned at my dad for trying to use USALS and fiddled with the humax - so I dont know if he had to manually tune it or not (as in arc is off or not).

sorry if this is jumbled and confusing - im still learning this stuff lol.

Title
    Thanks
    The golden rule is software config must match hardware.

I should have really asked what the hardware in terms of what dish/cabling/diseqc switch etc. Is the lnb a single one?

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry, I shoulda said - 90cm triax dish with a single lnb, but have bought an inverto ultra quad lnb to upgrade it to.

I have no idea what the motor is unfortunately. Currently the original single lnb is still installed. No switch on this setup.

is this helpful?

Title
    Thanks
    Ok, so you only have one cable from motor to your receiver.

My personal opinon is start at simplest level (you can add loopthrough later). Set all tuners that have nothing connected as "not configured". You should set the one with the motor cable as you have now.

See this post to tune and focus you motor. You should be fine after that.
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...l=1#post240506

8. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Shadow81 (11-10-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Awesome, ill give that a go tomorrow thanks..

Title
    Thanks
    Strange behaviour today - I cant seem to get any channels from anywhere, and am getting 'warning, no lnb; using factory default'

Cable is definitely in correct and I have seen dish in various different positions during an automatic scan.. But the dish/lnb/cable have not been touched :/

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry, I missed a bit out - I get that lnb warning message when I go into positioner...

Title
    Thanks
    Don't scan, just transfer a chanenl list. Are your coordinates inputted correctly?

Title
    Thanks
    My long/lat are precise on the quad.. I cant vouch for long and elevation of dish setup but can only assume these right because it has always worked until now (even tho it was manually set up as USALS didnt seem to work on humax either).

Ive downloaded catseye but guide shows up totally blank and it wont zap through channels..

Title
    Thanks
    Catseye was downloaded through plugins if that matters...?

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry, I am stuck. If USALs did not work but it tracked the arc, the whole assembly will need moving slightly. You can compensate though by altering your co-ordinates.

All I can suggest is USB flash from scratch, dont restore settings. There is a guide for setting up a motor without USALS.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...l=1#post229688

16. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

Shadow81 (12-10-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks again.. Got it sorta set up again.. Except across the widest spectrum I can make it scan, it returns 900'ish channels.

On Hotbird single satellite.scan, it only finds 132 channels, and none on the specific transponder I want...

Using position menu, if I use Autofocus, SNR improves majorly when it says "move west 5" up until about "move west 10" - SNR is 55% at this point, as opposed to the 30% - 35% it is on its own selection..

I am not sure how to amend long/lat to compensate for this..

My long/lat is 052.200 / 000.100 (or is it the other way round?)

So any advice on why way up/down I should be tweaking?

thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast