Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote access issues with Port 80

Title
    Thanks

Remote access issues with Port 80

It seems my isp blocks port 80 as am getting connection timed out for port 80 when I test. Port 8001, 8002 are fine. Can I substitute 80 with another port if so what port no. do I choose and how do I configure it both on my router and pc.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    I've never known an isp block port 80... likely, all you need to do is ensure you port forward it on your router...

Check:

Code:
     www.portforward.com
    For instructions on your router...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    Thanks
    I think I did the port forwarding correctly. I was using it and streaming from my Ultimo with VLC until about 6 months ago when I started having problems connecting from outside my network. I didn't care much about it and left it until now that I got a duo2 and I am trying to use the remote streaming and transcoding. With the duo2 transcoding, I am told I do not need VLC so do I forward port to box ip or PC ip? With VLC I forwarded to PC ip and I have a dyndns address.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    If you are using transcoding forward 8002 to your box. For normal streaming forward 8001 to your box. Make sure you use a static ip in your box or set your router to always use the same ip for the box if using dhcp.

It all works fine with dyndns

Title
    Thanks
    I want to access outside of my network. In addition to forwarding Port 8001 or 8002 do I not need to also forward port 80? I want to access outside of my network.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Port forward 80 for webif. The other two are used for streaming and transcoding.

Title
    Thanks
    I did all this port forward and when I try to connect from outside my network I can't. I use static ip and dyndns address. I checked port 80 using canyouseeme tool and it says it cannot connect to port 80 reason is connection timed out. Port 8001 and 8002 returned success on check.

Title
    Thanks
    Some router won't let you forward port 80 so choose another port for webif to use and change it in the webif plugin menu. Also set a password on the box if you going to open ports to the internet

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Opening port 80 especially (or most other ports) on a private network is never a good idea unless you know what you are doing & know how to protect those ports.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

Alan Pee (15-09-13)

Title
    Thanks
    I finally got it to work. I just did a full reset of my router, reconfigured it and then forwarded port 80, 8001 and 8002 to duo2 ip address. With my dyndns address I was able to access and stream outside my network. It worked smoothly both on SD and HD channels with dreamdroid + VPlayer but had some stutter on vuplus player. My transcoding config is: Bitrate - 1.5mbits, Framerate: 25 fps on VIX Image. Very happy to get this sorted as its one of my main reasons for upgrading to duo2. Thanks guys for all your help.
    Last edited by Alan Pee; 15-09-13 at 13:31.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    Opening port 80 especially (or most other ports) on a private network is never a good idea unless you know what you are doing & know how to protect those ports.
    Could you plse give alternative to accessing and streaming from my box remotely or how to protect port 80.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Pee View Post
    Could you plse give alternative to accessing and streaming from my box remotely or how to protect port 80.
    I'd start with picking a random port & forwarding that to port 80 if you have to, or even change the default OpenWebIf port too.
    Then add a password for root which should protect OpenWebIf on the box too.

Title
    Thanks
    Forwarding any other port to 80 will not add any more protection as the egress IP will still be open on 80 AFAIK.
    My advice is put a really strong password.
    It's a pity our linux boxes can't use IPTables or we could have done some nice stuff with blocking IP's multiple bad attempts.

PS if the OP gets his transcoding sorted please ping as I'm also using defaults and am getting glitching on playback. (especially when using the VU+ app)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zoro25 View Post
    Forwarding any other port to 80 will not add any more protection as the egress IP will still be open on 80 AFAIK.
    It's a pity our linux boxes can't use IPTables or we could have done some nice stuff with blocking IP's multiple bad attempts.

PS if the OP gets his transcoding sorted please ping as I'm also using defaults and am getting glitching on playback. (especially when using the VU+ app)
    Have you tried lowering the bit rate.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zoro25 View Post

With research i have done I don't think I can do much to avoid taking the risk of opening port 80 if i want to use the remote streaming. I have set a password anyway.

As for the transcoding its working well for me with dreamdroid+Vplayer both SD and HD channels very smooth no glitches at all. But when I use the VU+app it glitches a lot. My config is:
    Biterate: 1.5Mbits or 2.0Mbits both worked wel.
    Framerate: 25fps.
    I use VIX Image.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast