Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New TM-2T not picking up channels

Title
    Thanks

New TM-2T not picking up channels

Hi there,

On the recommendation of my father I have purchased the TM-2T for use in my new flat for Freesat initially with a view to adding more LNB's at a later date. The previous tennant advised that Sky was previously available so I have connected the 2 feeds directly into my receiver. At the present the box has the 4d image installed but when I performed the initial setup and scanned 28.2 it didn't pick up a single service.

In the satfinder part of the menu it is showing AGC at 80% and the SNR jumps from 0-70% for tuner A and is sometimes steady at 70% on tuner B. I'm quite new to this so not sure what this means. Is my box faulty or does it sound like the dish needs aligned? Would it be worth loading the Vix image and running the search again?

Not sure if its worth mentioning but I am still awaiting my broadband being connected so at present the box isn't connected to the internet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am somewhat stumped at what I should do now.
    Last edited by rinaldi82; 04-06-13 at 10:42. Reason: Additional Info

Title
    Thanks
    Freesat is nothing more than the Electronic Programme Guide that the company of that name provides for free channels for which the broadcasters choose to be included in it. It requires a Freesat machine correctly to display it and its additional features.
    The TM-2T will provide the UK free channels but is hardly an appropriate substitute for the real thing. If you do decide that you want channels from other satellites and meant for other countries you will need to replace the dish with a larger one with several LNBs or with a motor.
    It's not clear whether the current dish and system are working properly. Could you borrow an Sky or FS machine to test it on?
    Check that you have set up the machine for single satellite functioning on 28E Astra/Eutelsat. Then do run the manual search again.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hhatkin For This Useful Post:

rinaldi82 (04-06-13)

Title
    Thanks
    I am looking to get the HD FTA channels for the timebeing, suppose that isn't quite Freesat but will do until I look into the options re a larger dish etc.

I am sure I selected single satellite in the config but I will check that again, are there any parameters that I should change such as frequency etc?

I have also borrowed a Sky box, I'm assuming that it will show the FTA channels without a subscription card and thus tell me if the TM is faulty or not.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts

Re: New TM-2T not picking up channels

First check if the f plugs are connected properly to the cable. They may have unscrewed.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

rinaldi82 (05-06-13)

Title
    Thanks
    The cables look as they should I think, middle wire is coming through and no copper showing at other end of the plug.

I tried attaching an old Sky box last night and it didn't pick up any signal either, only thing I don't know is if its that old that Sky could have changed since it was produced.

Any other ideas?

chucknorris666

If the connections are ok indoors get the ladder out and check the connections to the dish they may have corroded with the weather. Also check for and rips or tares along the wire.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to chucknorris666 For This Useful Post:

rinaldi82 (05-06-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Wish it was that easy, I live in a flat and the dish is on the roof so not somewhere I can easily access. Going to take the box to my dad's to check it will pick up the channels there and then I will know for sure what the issue is.

Does anyone know what the SNR and AGC means in the satfinder part of the OpenPli interface?

chucknorris666

If you have already tried plugging another sly box into your flat and still can not get a signal then the problem will be either the wiring from box to Lnb on dish. Or the dish its self is out of line.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to chucknorris666 For This Useful Post:

rinaldi82 (05-06-13)

chucknorris666

Also
    SNR= signal to noise ratio
    AGC= automatic gain control

Hope this helps

14. The Following User Says Thank You to chucknorris666 For This Useful Post:

rinaldi82 (05-06-13)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chucknorris666 View Post
    Also
    SNR= signal to noise ratio
    AGC= automatic gain control

Hope this helps
    or in English.

SNR= signal to noise ratio = signal strength
    AGC= automatic gain control = signal quality

AGC being the most important of the two. you want this as high as possible, SNR is not as important.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

rinaldi82 (05-06-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    or in English.

SNR= signal to noise ratio = signal strength
    AGC= automatic gain control = signal quality

AGC being the most important of the two. you want this as high as possible, SNR is not as important.
    Going from the above I had a high AGC on both Tuners but SNR was jumping around on one and about 60-70% on the other, does that mean I am getting a signal and the box isn't tuning it?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

Re: New TM-2T not picking up channels

Ok
    Quote Originally Posted by rinaldi82 View Post
    Going from the above I had a high AGC on both Tuners but SNR was jumping around on one and about 60-70% on the other, does that mean I am getting a signal and the box isn't tuning it?
    Well for reference I just checked on my ultimo on sky action HD im getting a SNR of 68 or 69 percent and a AGC of 79 percent and the channel is booming in flawlessly.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

rinaldi82 (05-06-13)

chucknorris666

Why don't you flash the latest vix image to your box mate, then try again if it works then you know its something to do with the 4D image you had installed.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to chucknorris666 For This Useful Post:

rinaldi82 (05-06-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chucknorris666 View Post
    Why don't you flash the latest vix image to your box mate, then try again if it works then you know its something to do with the 4D image you had installed.
    I had thought about doing that, not a fan of the 4D image but wondered whether it would void my return, suppose I could always flash it back to 4D if I do need to return it.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, will update again once I've had a chance to do the above.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rinaldi82 View Post

I tried attaching an old Sky box last night and it didn't pick up any signal either
    OK, that puts the problem firmly into the system from dish to receiver, and your test of the TM on another system will confirm it one way or the other.
    Maybe it's a good time to get the new dish that you'll need when you start to use more of the TM's facilities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast