Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need help updating firmware etc, please.

Title
    Thanks

I need help updating firmware etc, please.

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum so please excuse my ignorance.

I have recently had a TM-2T satellite receiver installed (by a local person) and would like some help updating the software.

The reason I ask is because I have tried updating as shown on here but it doesn't seem to work that way on my box!

I have had a couple of issues with my current setup. Firstly, certain program descriptions are not showing up properly e.g. "$$3ghyt,lskljs" instead of "Match of the day". This is only with certain channels when one uses the arrow buttons on the remote to look at channels further and behind the one that one currently is.

Secondly, the youtube app doesn't seem to work. It keeps saying 'this video is not available!.

I have spoken to the guy who installed the receiver (with aerial etc) and he is currently very busy but says he will be around next week to install new 'software' (I assume he means firmware) which should fix these two issues.

I would like to do it myself, If i can but I have encountered the following problem.

There is no 'software update' in menu, satup, system rather there is another option which backs the system up first, and then says 'Your PC must be connected to the receiver' and asks if I want to go ahead and shut the receiver (I'm assuming it wants something installed at that point). I am also told to go to a .de website for further instructions.

This has left me rather confused. Can someone help please?!

I would be very grateful. Thank you.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Do you know what image & build your TM-2T is currently using?
    Menu > Information -> About might show you these details.
    Did the installer also sell you a channel/package deal?

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    Do you know what image & build your TM-2T is currently using?
    Menu > Information -> About might show you these details.
    Did the installer also sell you a channel/package deal?
    Hello, thanks for your reply.

Here is the info from the about section:

Hardware : TM2TOE
    Micom version: 108
    Image: Openpli 2.1
    Kernel Version: 3.1.1
    Enigma: Nov 9 2012

(There were a few other things which I have omitted).

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    You are using the 4D image.

Here is the guide to flash.
    Read the following guide (ignoring the flashing section). It will help you get around the image.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    You are using the 4D image.

Here is the guide to flash.

Read the following guide (ignoring the flashing section). It will help you get around the image.
    Thanks for the links. I'm not entirely sure what you mean, though. Which parts do I have to do? Just the flashing?

Updating firmware does not change your channel setup etc, does it?

Can you also tell me more about the '4D' image? What's the difference between this and the other images. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by kanwar; 24-04-13 at 23:11.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kanwar View Post
    Thanks for the links. I'm not entirely sure what you mean, though. Which parts do I have to do? Just the flashing?

Also, the guy who installed it has given me a subscription for channels too. Updating firmware etc does not change that, does it?

Can you also tell me more about the '4D' image? What's the difference between this and the other images. Thank you very much.
    We are not a cardsharing friendly forum, I very strongly suggest you read the forum rules you agreed to when you created your account here before you make any further posts.

if i see any more mention of CS or other methods of obtaining paid TV channels illegally i will close the thread.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    We are not a cardsharing friendly forum, I very strongly suggest you read the forum rules you agreed to when you created your account here before you make any further posts.

if i see any more mention of CS or other methods of obtaining paid TV channels illegally i will close the thread.
    I understand. I have just re-read the rules.

Title
    Thanks

Updating firmware does not change your channel setup etc, does it?

If you flash a new type of image, all your settings will be gone including the CCcam.cfg to read the card in your receiver. Best to save them first. You can save your existing channel list using Dreamboxedit/Dreamset and send back after flashing a new image. Although you can also use Auto Bouquet Manager, Lraizer's Auto bouquets to make channel lists for you.

The 4D image is the one that TM release by default when they sell a linux receiver. You should note that they have released an image on OpenPLI 3.0 now. Other image teams also make the images for the TM range of new generation of receivers. Sif Team, AAF are other images. Try them and and see which one you like.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    thread is seriously bordering on site rules...
    sorry for going off topic but abu, have you tested latest 4D images for recordig issues? are the drivers used any better than the ones we currently use in the ViX image?

Title
    Thanks
    There has been only one PLI 3.0 image by the 4D team. It is fine but needs refining. There is no direct way of the image users to communicate with image makers.

I am afraid that the 4d image on 05/04/2013 has the recording problem.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to abu baniaz For This Useful Post:

judge (25-04-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    There has been only one PLI 3.0 image by the 4D team. It is fine but needs refining. There is no direct way of the image users to communicate with image makers.

I am afraid that the 4d image on 05/04/2013 has the recording problem.
    What is this recording problem of which you speak? Is it when it records itself randomly, as I have had that but it seems OK now (probably my fault).

Which one is generally accepted as the best one, liked by most users of this receiver?
    Last edited by kanwar; 25-04-13 at 01:22.

Title
    Thanks
    What is this recording problem of which you speak? Is it when it records itself randomly, as I have had that but it seems OK now (probably my fault).

Which one is generally accepted as the best one, liked by most users of this receiver?
    The recording topic is here The workaround is to have a zap timer before the record timer. (Cortesy of the man with orange glasses).

In terms of best image, it is up to user preferance. Try them and stick to them one you prefer. I have stayed with Vix on the Twin as the Missus/kids are used to it. It is very user friendly.
    Last edited by abu baniaz; 25-04-13 at 01:36.

Title
    Thanks
    This dreambox edit sounds like a headache. I still don't know what to do, to be honest. I just want to replace the crap image that I have with the latest VIX imade (as you have mentioned). Simple steps are needed please and the links provided don't seem to be that.

My current image is giving both recording problems and funny symbols.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    So, you have downloaded the image & extracted it to your USB stick?
    If so, power down your TM2T, insert the USB stick (I use front USB slot)
    Power up the box, on the VFD & on your TV, you will see a message, something like 'Updates found, press OK to update'
    Press the ok button on the front of the box.
    Sit back and wait 3 or 4 minutes.
    A message will display on the VFD & TV saying flashing is complete.
    Remove the USB stick & reboot the box using the power rocker on the back.

When the box boots back up, you will be greeted with the FIW (First Install Wizard) where you set-up the box.

Title
    Thanks
    OK guys I've managed to flash the latest vix image from openvix.co.uk and I like the set-up but I am having a few problems:

1. When the box starts up it doesn't automatically go onto a channel, it hangs on the blue screen and you have to change channels for it to start displaying video. Is this normal? I have tried restarting the box etc but to no avail.

2. I can't seem to forward/rewind/stop Live TV any more. This is very strange. I can still forward/rewind programs I have recorded. There is plenty of space on the HDD.

Any help would be appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast