Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Black screen lock ups?

Title
    Thanks

Black screen lock ups?

Getting this about once maybe twice per day. Everything working perfectly, just sitting watching a channel, no updates, no menu changing, no EPG surfing etc - no apparent pattern to time of day.

Box goes black screen & totally unresponsive (needs a hard reboot).

One small detail is after in goes black ......... about 8 seconds later the picture flicks into life for a nano second ............. then nothing.

I've had this on site sponsor install of VIX643 and now on my own flash of VIX649

Anyone seen this - any ideas lads?

Title
    Thanks
    Nobody else then ..... could be I've got a faulty box.

I've turned on logs over the weekend (at least I think I have) box blanked once on Sat, then I watched tv for about 6 hours yesterday with no problem, then it went black and locked up 4 times between 9pm & 10.40pm.

I looked in logs afterwards - nothing there, so at what point is a log supposed to get written, on a crash, at a specific time each day or after a set period of time? I also switched on the email notification part to copy myself and I have no emails either.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    I'm sorry this thread seems to have been missed in among the others on the forum.

A crash log will only be created when the receiver suffers a Enigma crash and the default location logs are saved to is /home/root/logs.

Try enabling Debug logs in the logs manager and when or if this happens again post those either in this thread or better still, in this thread and send copies to us via the logs manager.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Pheonix - I did that and got my first Debug Log by email yesterday, now when you said post it here - you mean the whole thing (its pretty big)? For now I'll post this little section with the ref and a first few lines - if you do indeed want the whole thing here I'll be happy to drop it in but thought you'd find it from the ref number?

Ref: 1366668776.21‏

22/04/2013
    To: vixlogs@world-of-satellite.com
    Cc: SoupKing

+ (1) Background File Eraser
    + (5) Tuxtxt
    + (8) graphics acceleration manager
    + (9) GFBDC
    10800k video mem
    - double buffering available!
    3600kB available for acceleration surfaces.
    resolution: 1280 x 720 x 32 (stride: 5120)
    + (9) gLCDDC
    found OLED display!
    & lots more .................................................. ....

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

Re: Black screen lock ups?

By post here I meant as a attachment rather than as text, but not to worry if you sent it via the logs manager we will have a copy in our devs hands now.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Meh - I'm still round the bend with this.

I've been slowly excluding things (plug-ins / stopped my epg updates / removed my internal & external HDD's / measured unit temp / virgin install etc etc) basically 'anything' I might have introduced as a 'non-standard' component as I seem to be the only one with this particular issue.

I've sent off a few logs automatically but I'm out of ideas. I was at breaking point last Wed/Thur then box went great Fri/Sat/ and most of Sunday then crashed to blackout several times again in quick succession for no apparent reason. The TM2 itself is great when it's going but 3-4 black outs each evening is pretty intolerable.

I reckon the box hardware may simply be faulty - time to talk with WOS directly about a swap?

Title
    Thanks
    Did you try a different tv, I had similar issues with one of my Tvs .

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wizard55 View Post
    Did you try a different tv, I had similar issues with one of my Tvs .
    I have had it on 3 tv's now via HDMI & COMPONENT & RF.

My main tv is a £2.5k 42" Panny so changing it to get my £220 TM2 working would not be a gilt edged solution for me mate but I guess it's still good thinking in terms of fault finding, I never considered it as a viable contributor. One thing I've not fooled with is the destination TV output type after the initial wizard (on any tv or cable type) could that really cause such an issue(?) especially when it can work fine on occasion for 2-3 days left on 24 hours a day without an issue.

Title
    Thanks
    * UPDATE ONLY *

This is now day 7 since my fourth rebuild (on image 658) happy to report it's not locked up once yet - hope I'm not speaking too soon

Previously I got a lot of 'spinning VIX' and the software seemed quite fragile when making changes, especially in the media player area.

Since the 658 went on everything just seems much more snappy