Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Signal to Noise Ratio

Title
    Thanks

Low Signal to Noise Ratio

Hi WOS. I have a TM5402 and I'm experiencing low quality strength on some TP's, would a in-line amplifier increase the quality strength, if not what would I need to do
    Thanks in advance WOS

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Best check your coax for any rips, tears and visible damage, also check your fixtures and fittings making sure you have no shorts or loose connections before going for a amp as a amp will also amplify any noise and could make things far worse rather than better.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks Pheonix. I only had my dish installed a few months ago and I have checked the coax for any damage and there is none.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    And what about dish-alignment and LNB-skew?

BTW: It's either 'signal strength' or 'SNR' (Signal to noise ratio); it's the latter that's important, signal strength shouldn't even be looked at.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks rvdb had the dish checked by the installer and all is fine running at 100%
    A buddy of mine said it will be my Internet connection but that's running at 35 meg at the moment

Any help would be really appreciated
    Thanks again

Title
    Thanks
    your internet will have nothing to do with signal strength !!!! it dish alignment/cable.. or skew on lnb....or dodgy tuner? hope that helps abit, cheers satcat

Title
    Thanks
    Hi satcat thanks for the info, I don't thing the box is faulty my mate brought his dm800 round to try and his was doing the same low signal and channels not coming on the only other thing I have to try is take my tm5402 round to his and see how that goes, will let u know how it goes
    Thanks guys for all your help

Title
    Thanks
    does sound like an alingment issue, has the fixing bracket been checked for levels? also what coax was used? i ask this because i bought 20 meters off ebay (was rather cheap) laid it all under my new flooring switched box on and had lost half my channels, so ripped it all out, then made my own cable runs up, then all worked perfect again maybe worth checking that out.
    Last edited by drx360; 21-04-13 at 00:51.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks drx360 for your input too, like I said before the dish is a new instal guessing the coax is off good quality,had that checked again and all 100%, tried my mates dm800 and that doesn't work but works at his, he took my tm5402 to his and all worked great he is on BT, i had virgin media engineer to check the Internet connection and all ok changed the super hub to modem mode but still the same, but I've still got the problem this is all very annoying
    Anymore suggestions will be very much appreciated
    Thanks in advance

Title
    Thanks
    have you have a meter connected directly to the lnb?
    for low or no signal my next port of call would be a meter on the lnb, to test of that is working
    as someone else mentioned earlier internet speed has nothing to do with signal strengths.

hook up a meter to your lnb, maplins do one for around £15-20 and test it..if that is working and giving you good signal strength then hook the meter up to the other end of cables ,box end, if you get low signal or no signal, then its 100% your cabling.

let us know how you get on
    Last edited by drx360; 02-05-13 at 23:32.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    BTW: It's either 'signal strength' or 'SNR' (Signal to noise ratio); it's the latter that's important, signal strength shouldn't even be looked at.
    So I changed the title of the thread accordingly.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

Judc1664 (28-05-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks RVDD the dish installer checked at the box end and said all running at 100%. But I'll get hold of a meter to do want you've suggested and ill let you know how it goes.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    For laymen's purposes a meter isn't even necessary: a connected E2-STB can do that job for you (either via the build in 'satfinder' or via a 3rd-party PC or smartphone application.

Title
    Thanks
    Ok guys sorry for not getting back sooner tried a meter ok the setup is all in-line (the LNB is a standard sky one) took the TM5402 round to a friend who's setup is all sky and it all seemed to work there. Tried doing a factory reset and install the patch and channel list again and I've still got the same issues missing channels & TP's the only over thing I can try is a different BB provider or is there anything else you can suggest.
    Thanks again

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

Re: Low Signal to Noise Ratio

Your droadband provider makes no difference to which Transponders are received or not, although I have a feeling your talking about the method by which you subscribe ?, a topic we cant go into on this forum.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Judc1664 (28-05-13)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast