Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Help with "Red ring of death" and problems in itīs wake

Title
    Thanks

Help with "Red ring of death" and problems in itīs wake

Hi guys!

I also got the red light of death on my Duo the other day.
    Searched the forums and came up with the threads that suggested that it could be fixed by changing the capacitor C807.
    Said and done, took my box to work and changed te capacitor to a new one. I measured the old one and it sure was broken, not showing any farads anymore just resistance.

Happily I put the box together so much that I could start it, but nothing happened!
    Still the same irritating red light of death. I can still hear the HDD spin up so the box is powered up.

I now closely looked at the other sorrounding components and found that one of ICīs next to C807 looks funky Maybe it had an alien inside of it that had to break loose
    My experiance tells me itīs broken to but I canīt seem to find what component it is and what to replace it with.
    Took a couple of pics to show you what it looks like, including the text on the IC, maybe you can aid me in the right direction where to get a new one and what it is?
    Perhaps a voltage regulator?

Thank you in advance.

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG

Title
    Thanks
    i think they are AOZ1021AI there are three of them on the board

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks

Help with "Red ring of death" and problems in itīs wake

It's fooked. ZA9213, ain't got a clue where you'd get I though.

Sent using sorcery and the magic interwebs

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by harryt View Post
    i think they are AOZ1021AI there are three of them on the board
    Yeah, thatīs their name but Iīm unable to find someone who sells them and will ship to Sweden.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Have a look at Digikey. Whether they will ship a small quantity for a reasonable price is another matter.

HTML Code:
    [/code][url]http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/AOZ1021AI/785-1155-2-ND/1855927[/url][code]
    Last edited by Stanman; 21-03-13 at 17:36. Reason: Use HTML to wrap link plz

Title
    Thanks
    More importantly why has this chip blown.... Looking at damage suggests an overvoltage condition..
    Did you get a spike/surge of electricity ? You could find fitting another chip may do the same unless you can find out what blew it.
    Vu+ Duo --- Vix Apollo --- Magic HD Night Skin

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Hi mate

Sorry to hear the cap wasnt the problem as the boss said not always the main fault. did note from your message about the hdd starting up, since you did the repair had you run the box without the hdd connected as advise on the board when others reported the red light of death problem were advised to remove all hdd and usb devices and allow the box to startup after rest from flash so maybe one avenue to look at, also i found a workshop in london that fixed mine you can contact them and ask if they can carry out the repair to the 3 chips mentioned, i did read on another forum this could also be part of the red light problem if one pops
    good luck !

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clabs View Post
    Have a look at Digikey. Whether they will ship a small quantity for a reasonable price is another matter.
    [/code]http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...5-2-ND/1855927[code]
    Thanks, will send them a message and see what they say.

Quote Originally Posted by garyblas View Post
    More importantly why has this chip blown.... Looking at damage suggests an overvoltage condition..
    Did you get a spike/surge of electricity ? You could find fitting another chip may do the same unless you can find out what blew it.
    True, but I still need a new chip no matter what.
    The box was fine on the evening and the other day is had the "red light of death".
    Itīs an "old" box, over 3 years old and I never power it down unless when it hangs.
    This due to an old software issue when the box went down in standbymode you had to restart it to get it going again. This was a long time ago but I use a Harmonyremote with all activities programmed so out of pure laziness i havenīt got around to reprogram it

Guess Iīm paying the price for that now

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by satmanbasil View Post
    Hi mate

Sorry to hear the cap wasnt the problem as the boss said not always the main fault. did note from your message about the hdd starting up, since you did the repair had you run the box without the hdd connected as advise on the board when others reported the red light of death problem were advised to remove all hdd and usb devices and allow the box to startup after rest from flash so maybe one avenue to look at, also i found a workshop in london that fixed mine you can contact them and ask if they can carry out the repair to the 3 chips mentioned, i did read on another forum this could also be part of the red light problem if one pops
    good luck !
    Hi mate!

The first startup after I changed the cap was without hdd or USB attached, so already tried that approach.
    Iīm comfortable changing the chips myself, we got an SMDdesoldering station at work and I once had a licence for soldering but it has expired now since I changed workplace and no longer require to have a licence.
    Just need to get hold of the darn things
    Guess Iīll have to wait and see how much the shipping will be to Sweden, I could change the currency to SEK on the Digikey site so I assume they do ship here

Iīll post updates in this thread to keep y'all updated .

Regards Berggren

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Berggren For This Useful Post:

Clabs (21-03-13)