Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Dead Vu+Duo repair guide

Title
    Thanks
    I had an et9000 but lasted 4 years then blow up now I have an et9500 all good for now

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you sir I'll give this a go

Title
    Thanks
    Hi, I have a Duo that when I changed the C807 cap cured my problem.
    I have been given two more Duos now to cure the same problem. I have changed 3 caps and a reg on one which now works.
    I did the same on the other but no matter what image I use it works but after a while starts a restarting loop. Just wondering if anyone has changed mor caps around the board that may cure it?

Thanks.
    Regards,
    Jules.

Title
    Thanks
    hi loved the fix but when opened the box my capacitor c807 was different to the ones on your image as photo shows will this be the same problem with red dot fix put tester on and right voltage coming out but switch on and of till starting comes on do you think I should change capacitor for similar or put one on your photo onvu duo c807 003.jpgvu duo c807 001.jpg help please

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks

Dead Vu+Duo repair guide

@geordie

That is VU+'s factory fix for the capacitor problem on earlier duo boxes, so I'm guessing it didn't fix the problem. They may have modified other parts of the circuit so I would not go putting standard electrolytic capacitors back in, could go BOOM!

As a matter of interest, what does your power board look like? You might have faulty capacitors on there causing the issue.
    Last edited by TK4|2|1; 27-05-16 at 08:54.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi, hoping someone can answer this pretty easily, is the C807 burnt on this picture, I won't be repairing this myself but would like to be able to tell someone exactly what needs changing.

Thanks in advance

image.jpg

Title
    If there's a bright centre to the universe, I'm from the planet that is farthest from.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jakspratb View Post
    Hi, hoping someone can answer this pretty easily, is the C807 burnt on this picture, I won't be repairing this myself but would like to be able to tell someone exactly what needs changing.

Thanks in advance

image.jpg
    No that's just flux, nothing to worry about. Your box has the vu factory modification already done to it, so you may have a different issue.

Title
    Thanks
    Well my box has been playing up for a month starting with not responding to the remote to bring it out of deep standby. i started using the switch at the back which would get the box to boot after flicking it on and off a few times and eventually tat stopped working.
    grabbed a capacitor from maplin and some silver solder, i happened to buy a soldering iron about a month ago and have done one job 2 tiny wires to a circuit board.
    This job i clipped the existing capacitor off which didnt leave much off the old legs i soldered one leg and my daughter whos hand is way more steadier then mine did the second and hey presto box is up n running again pleased as punch.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi everyone, not posted for a very long time.

Just to say thanks for this thread, fix my 5 year old Vu+DUO by replacing cap C848.

I had already replaced cap C807 about 2 years ago.

The problem I had this time channels were appearing "grey" in the channel list after a scan and there were only about 300 where I would get 600+. Selecting the channel I would get "Tune Failed". Tried changing images, satellite.xml, tuner configurations, some else's sat dish etc. nothing worked.

After replacing C848 with a 1500uF 10v @ 105C did another scan now up to 700 channels and my SNR has increased from about 45 to 70.

Thanks again.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to porche944 For This Useful Post:

cwebb66 (26-08-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Great to hear Buddy

Title
    Thanks
    Hi,
    My box is stuck on starting, however, when I removed the cover a capacitor on what I assume is the power board, has obviously blown as the top was off it! This is marked as C17 on the board. There is also signs of leakage from the large capacitor on the same board marked C1.
    Should I try replacing these capacitors?
    Thanks
    ajh1949

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    hi all not sure what my problem is?
    box is original vu duo had for 4 years and has vix 4.2.001 also tried with later vix 3 image same thing happens.
    started a week ago where vix sign would come up and box would`nt respond to remote had to restar same again after twenty mins?
    i have changed capacitor c807 last year when got red light and fixed my problem until now.
    changed that again when seemed same problem doesn`nt have red light.no change so changed c814 and c850 with 220uf 35v all 3 still same problem.box takes time for problem to start and gradually gets sluggish and vix sign coming up.
    did notice that one of the capacitors on psu was showing slight bulging not burst?
    could this be my problem?
    any help on this as always much appreciated
    Last edited by zenith; 03-09-16 at 16:43.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zenith View Post
    hi all not sure what my problem is?
    box is original vu duo had for 4 years and has vix 4.2.001 also tried with later vix 3 image same thing happens.
    started a week ago where vix sign would come up and box would`nt respond to remote had to restar same again after twenty mins?
    i have changed capacitor c807 last year when got red light and fixed my problem until now.
    changed that again when seemed same problem doesn`nt have red light.no change so changed c814 and c850 with 220uf 35v all 3 still same problem.box takes time for problem to start and gradually gets sluggish and vix sign coming up.
    did notice that one of the capacitors on psu was showing slight bulging not burst?
    could this be my problem?
    any help on this as always much appreciated
    Often a faulty electrolytic capacitor doesn't show any physical sign of failure but if you have one that is bulging then consider it to be dead.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to adm For This Useful Post:

zenith (03-09-16)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ajh1949 View Post
    Hi,
    My box is stuck on starting, however, when I removed the cover a capacitor on what I assume is the power board, has obviously blown as the top was off it! This is marked as C17 on the board. There is also signs of leakage from the large capacitor on the same board marked C1.
    Should I try replacing these capacitors?
    Thanks
    ajh1949
    How are you identifying that the capacitor is leaking? In many PSUs some components are glued to larger components or the board to make the circuit more resilient to vibration (during shipping). The blob of glue is often mistaken for something that has been expelled from a capacitor.

Also be aware that a very large capacitor close to the mains input is likely to have 300+V across it. This can kill! Switch the box off at the mains plug and leave for at least 5 minutes before messing around with this capacitor.
    Last edited by adm; 03-09-16 at 19:19.
    Xtrend ET10K, 2 x satellite tuners 28.2 (Sky FTA), 2 x hybrid (UK Freeview), Zgemma H9S (satellite)

Title
    Thanks
    hi i have a vu+ solo 2 with the same problem could this be the same problem with mine

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast