Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Picture ghosting problem

Title
    Thanks

Picture ghosting problem

Hi,

I recently purchased Gigablue Quad and I use it with OpenVix. It has been a good combination for my use.

The problem is the weird picture ghosting. Think of two identical pictures on top of each other, but other picture moved slightly off. I have tried updating the drivers and the latest build, with no help. I also installed Autoresolution. I got slightly better picture quality with that, but it did not help with ghosting problem.

When I start the box, OpenVix start picture is sharp - for a while. The picture goes shortly black and after that start picture looks horrible. The branches of the trees are all doubled (ghosting) and the result is just blurry.

With old set top box (or dvd/bluray) the picture is good. I use only cable tuner and LCD TV. Overscaling is off.

Do you have any idea what could be wrong? Hardware problem, or some setting I haven't found?

-Lattee

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    GB Quad here and not had this issue, check your leads and try swapping for another set.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the fast reply.

I have tried two different hdmi cables. The other I have been using connecting the bluray player.

-Lattee

Title
    Thanks
    I don't think a hdmi cable can really fail in such a manner

I get something along the lines of what you're describing, where there's a noticeable ghost image to the left (or right?). It's pretty clear to see on the network logos. I haven't reported it here as I've been meaning to hook up an old box I have to make sure it's not the TV.

Title
    Thanks
    It is most noticeable with high contrast lines. White network logo on a darker background is a good place to notice it. Since I use dvb-c I have a HD tuner on my TV too. Using the tuner of the TV picture is good. Changing back and forth between TV and box, the difference is quite clear. The signal to the TV comes trough the box.

Using TV's tuner or watching bluray for example gives a good picture. I would guess that TV is not the problem - at least in my case.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,138 Posts
    Hi,
    disable all sharpness filter in the box and perhaps in your TV.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    Hello Trial,

Thanks for the tips - that goes to all of you.
    I had sharpening at zero on the box but the TV had some sharpening on. I disabled that too, but it did not make any difference.

The ghosting is visible on lower contrast too and it is on the sides only, not top/bottom. Like two identical pictures which are not perfectly aligned (other is a little bit left or right).

Title
    Thanks
    I'm having a similar problem with mine. Its not ghosting all the time though.

davew1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lattee View Post
    Hi,

I recently purchased Gigablue Quad and I use it with OpenVix. It has been a good combination for my use.

The problem is the weird picture ghosting. Think of two identical pictures on top of each other, but other picture moved slightly off. I have tried updating the drivers and the latest build, with no help. I also installed Autoresolution. I got slightly better picture quality with that, but it did not help with ghosting problem.

When I start the box, OpenVix start picture is sharp - for a while. The picture goes shortly black and after that start picture looks horrible. The branches of the trees are all doubled (ghosting) and the result is just blurry.

With old set top box (or dvd/bluray) the picture is good. I use only cable tuner and LCD TV. Overscaling is off.

Do you have any idea what could be wrong? Hardware problem, or some setting I haven't found?

-Lattee
    had exactly the same symptoms on the quad i setup for my dad. sky sports logo was particularly bad. had a chance to have a go at it today. tried adjusting a few different settings.. nothing until i changed the scaler sharpness.. it was set at zero. moved it to around 15-16 and the picture is stunning now.
    menu> setup> system> video enhancement settings> scaler sharpness (think its 4 from bottom)

hope this helps. Dave

Title
    Thanks
    Scaler sharpness is set at zero and ghosting is visible. I guess I have to wait for a new drivers from Gigablue - I have a feeling that the problem is in the drivers since picture is perfect for a while when starting the box.

I have sent mail to Gigablue, now I just have to wait and hope for the best.

davew1
    Quote Originally Posted by Lattee View Post
    Scaler sharpness is set at zero and ghosting is visible. I guess I have to wait for a new drivers from Gigablue - I have a feeling that the problem is in the drivers since picture is perfect for a while when starting the box.

I have sent mail to Gigablue, now I just have to wait and hope for the best.
    did you try adjusting the scaler to around 15 or 16? doesn't say in this post.

Dave

12. The Following User Says Thank You to davew1 For This Useful Post:

Lattee (26-01-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by davew1 View Post
    did you try adjusting the scaler to around 15 or 16? doesn't say in this post.

Dave
    Thank you Dave!

At some point I set the scaler to zero because of harsh over sharpening (somebody suggested that might help). After that I have updated the drivers and adjusted all the settings. After all of tweaking I didn't realize that there should be at least some level of scaler sharpness.

I just added the sharpening to get balance between ghosting and sharpening halo. Now the quality of the picture is much, much better. Thanks!

Lauri