Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Lappy to Buy!!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    I wouldn“t ask what I should buy Apple or Windows. I would ask what will I do with this hardware? What Software do I need? What software do I already have? Is there open source I can use?

I write programs for windows and I would be an idiot if I buy an apple.

btw. I do not like a closed system like Apple.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

Larry-G (14-01-13),mcquaim (14-01-13)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    If i was you mate I wouldn't bother with a laptop. just get a pc. I got one with 8gb ram, a 3.0 ghz i5 processor and 2tb hardrive for only £499. but it does come preinstalled with windows 8 which is terrible but I knew this when I upgraded to it on my laptop before I sold it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to warajoker For This Useful Post:

mcquaim (14-01-13)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Cheers lads!

I already have a good old beast of a PC I bought last year but I want something mobile to replace the current dated lappy.

Good point made by Trial, all my current software is windows based so that could be a pain getting replacements if I went the apple route..
    D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    and I think your desktop is also windows based so you have to deal with two different operating systems. Apple is not bad but you should use only apple products to make the best of it.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post

btw. I do not like a closed system like Apple.

ciao
    now thats it rite there for me.
    regardless of the whole apple is better than every thing else fanboy talk going on here, why would you ever want a closed system ??. i dont care if the GUI is user friendly or just works as some like to say, the fact that apple are essentially telling you what you must use their products for puts me rite off.

personally i'd buy a superior windows system and dual boot it with windows and linux.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

mcquaim (14-01-13)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    To add another view to this...

I own both Apple Macbook Pro, and Windows laptop (work). Personally, I like both for different reasons. The Macbook Pro was a present, and I personally would have begrudged paying the full amount for it, knowing that the spec of the machine in a windows version would have been almost half the price!

However, the little touches of the hardware are much nicer than most Windows laptops. For example, the keys are backlit. Makes working in darker environments much nicer. The trackpad and gestures are much better than any windows counterpart I tried... The only good thing about windows laptops is the price, and the fact there is more software usually available... If macbook pro's were slightly cheaper (well, about £400 cheaper!), I would definitely say go for a MBP...
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pooface For This Useful Post:

mcquaim (14-01-13)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Re: What Lappy to Buy!!

Quote Originally Posted by pooface View Post
    To add another view to this...

I own both Apple Macbook Pro, and Windows laptop (work). Personally, I like both for different reasons. The Macbook Pro was a present, and I personally would have begrudged paying the full amount for it, knowing that the spec of the machine in a windows version would have been almost half the price!

However, the little touches of the hardware are much nicer than most Windows laptops. For example, the keys are backlit. Makes working in darker environments much nicer. The trackpad and gestures are much better than any windows counterpart I tried... The only good thing about windows laptops is the price, and the fact there is more software usually available... If macbook pro's were slightly cheaper (well, about £400 cheaper!), I would definitely say go for a MBP...
    Exactly so you're paying, not you personally, an extortionate amount of money for back lights and other gimmicks. For a system that tells what you can and can't use.

I think I'll go out buy one today.....sarcastically not. They are just not worth the money. Half the price and I'll give them a try.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    Vu+Duo
    Vix Hades
    WD 1TB Blue Desktop Drive 3.5" SATA-III 7200RPM 64MB =Cross EPG & 256mb Swap File
    Kingston DataTraveler SE9 8GB USB =PTS

Vu+Duo
    Vix Hades
    Seagate 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6Gb/s Barracuda Hard Drive 7200RPM 16MB=Cross EPG & 256mb Swap File
    Kingston DataTraveler SE9 8GB USB =PTS

Both Duo's Plugins, Lraizer Autobouquet, Cacheflush, Mediascanner, Picture player, Movie Browser & Openwebif

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mcquaim View Post
    I have been thinking for a while on buying a new lappy but not sure on what to buy!

I am curious on Apple as I've never owned any but not sure if they worth the extra cash. Close to buying this but not sure:
    Code:
    Apple 15-inch MacBook Pro 
    (Intel Quad Core i7 2.6GHz, 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, 
    HD Graphics 4000, 1GB GeForce GT 650M, OS X Lion) 
    http://amazon.co.uk/dp/B008BEYNBO
    I wasn't gone on the retina version as it has no inbuilt DVD drive..

What you guys recommend?

Go the apple route or pick up a top spec windows machine?
    I think apple are over price. I have a Laptop with duo boot XP and WIN7 , and can network to 2 other disk tops. One with XP, W7 and W8.
    The other with XP and W7. The arrangement is idea for video editing, and I still like XP. Win7 is a little bloated, but idea for video editing, and I hate the Admin keep asking if I want to do an operation. I am starting to like Win 8, it is slightly faster than W7, when it is more established I will ditch W7. Amazon are doing a deal on a upgrade to win8, £43,19 for 2 disks 64bit and 32 with free delivery. All you need is a operating system xp or W7. If you download from Microsoft they want all your details. There are some good offers on laptops, if look around the net.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Alec For This Useful Post:

mcquaim (14-01-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Alienware Laptop. The end.
    --------------------------

ET9500 Twin Tuner
    NAND FLASH 8Gbit
    1100 DMIPS Processor

15. The Following User Says Thank You to constant For This Useful Post:

Larry-G (18-01-13)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12