Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AGC constant at 79% on all channells

Title
    Thanks

Unhappy AGC constant at 79% on all channells

Hi,

I have noticed that I cant recieve some channels I used to be able to get and that on my motorized dish the SNR is a lot lower than I would have expected it to be . The strangest thing of all is that the AGC% never changes from 79% when tuned regardless of signal strenght. Up untill 2 days ago when this started to happen I was able to recieve the weaker UK tps from Astra 2F ( e.g 11023h ) but now cant get a peep from them. I reflashed back to an older vix version :

Software
    Kernel version: 3.1.1
    Firmware version: 3.0
    Gui version: 2012-08-14

rescanned etc etc but nothing has changed. Is it possible the tuner is malfunctioning at a hardware level , does the symptom of constant AGC sound familiar at all to anybody ?

Title
    Thanks
    Try a "GOTO 0" on your dish.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcmadrid View Post
    ... does the symptom of constant AGC sound familiar at all to anybody ?
    Nope .

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    The fixed dish from an SNR pov is behaving as i would expect it to ( 11023h SNR 65% ) but the AGC value is stuck on 79% ,, i should be able to get 11023h on the motorized also but cant. Im in Madrid ( 2F hotspot ) and on a 1.2m motorized im getting SNR 55% on canal plus on 19.2e ( was 99-100% with an AGC of about 30%) again the AGC is stuck on 79% . Im starting to suspect a hardware fault ).. if these tuner cards fail do they catastrophically fail or just start to act weird ¿ I used to see the AGC move up and down whilst tuned to a frequency that was not " alive " but in this instance the AGC stays stuck on 49% ,,, AGC no matter what the condition only has two values 49 % or 79%. Im not too worried about what the AGC value is , but am worried that im not able to recieve weaker signals via the motorized ,, ands have little symptom to go on , other than this strange AGC behaviour.
    Last edited by davidcmadrid; 10-01-13 at 13:48.

Title
    Thanks
    Well the plot thickens... Now when I turn on the receiver its in some kind of boot loop. The loading screen comes on but periodically the turning vix letters in the top left appear... I can't enter the menu nor change channel trying to do so provokes the rotating vix on top left

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Well the plot thickens... Now when I turn on the receiver its in some kind of boot loop. The loading screen comes on but periodically the turning vix letters in the top left appear... I can't enter the menu nor change channel trying to do so provokes the rotating vix on top left
    you can still ftp into the box & get the crash logs so, then upload them here.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 Times in 2,248 Posts
    Hi,

I have noticed that I cant recieve some channels I used to be able to get and that on my motorized dish the SNR is a lot lower than I would have expected it to be . The strangest thing of all is that the AGC% never changes from 79% when tuned regardless of signal strenght. Up untill 2 days ago when this started to happen I was able to recieve the weaker UK tps from Astra 2F ( e.g 11023h ) but now cant get a peep from them. I reflashed back to an older vix version :
    There are several responses indicating that 2F signal was weak over the last week, but back up over last 24 hrs - how weak depending on where you are

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Judge, thank you. Attached is /var/volatile/log " messages " . its renamed as i copied and pasted it into a txt file. Is this what you mean ?crash.txt

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    There are several responses indicating that 2F signal was weak over the last week, but back up over last 24 hrs - how weak depending on where you are
    Hi Twol, yes initially i did think of this , either the bird was shifted in stationkeeping or power was reduced..however i have been getting also weak reception on the astra cluster at 19.2e half the SNR i was getting.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Hi Judge, thank you. Attached is /var/volatile/log " messages " . its renamed as i copied and pasted it into a txt file. Is this what you mean ?crash.txt
    no, the crash logs are generated in /home/root/logs/ unless you changed the default location.

Title
    Thanks
    I didnt change the location but looking in there its empty. I am going to try a reflash now and see if I can get into the box ( thanks for your help btw )

Title
    Thanks
    Ok reflashing the image ( from USB stick ) , I get back to square one , weakish reception with AGC stuck on 79% and SNR on what should be ( was ) a very strong signal ,, previously 99% ..but now cerca 50%. Its watchable but the question remains as to whether the tuner card ( or something else in the chain ? ) has become faulty.
    Last edited by davidcmadrid; 10-01-13 at 17:14.

Title
    Thanks
    Forget AGC (automatic gain control) scale - it's useless for telling you how good the signal is. I personally think it should be removed from all skins as it confuses a lot of people. Concentrate on SNR (signal to noise ratio) scale instead - it tells you how "clean" the signal is.
    Penta 85cm dish (70.5E <> 15W) == Vu+ Uno // Fibo Gregorian 1.2m dish (37.5W <> 42E) == Dr. HD F15

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Captain JAck, i care not a jot for the AGC per say , only in the sense its very unusual behaviour of having only one value for all stations and sattelites is unusual. I combine this with having reduced signal or more accuratley half the expected SNR % on my habitual channels ( and loss of some fringe stations ) as perhaps pointing to a fault somewhere. IF the AGC behaved as expected ( ie varied ) I would suspect something between the reciever and lnb.

Title
    Thanks
    Well, the only time mine really changes is if I unplug the LNB - then it says 0%. Covering the LNB isn't enough as it will still be getting noise, which will result in an AGC reading.

By the way, Astra 2F's UK spot beam has weakened, so it's OK to expect lower readings in Madrid. Others should be unaffected though.
    Penta 85cm dish (70.5E <> 15W) == Vu+ Uno // Fibo Gregorian 1.2m dish (37.5W <> 42E) == Dr. HD F15

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast