Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Total Noob Trying to Setup Vu+ Solo2 The Story So Far

Title
    Thanks

Total Noob Trying to Setup Vu+ Solo2 The Story So Far

Wow I thought this was gonna be straight forward.
    I got my new Vu+ Solo2 Box today (I must say that it was smaller than I thought it was gonna be from the pictures that I had seen, anyway..)
    It came preloaded with the Black Hole image preinstalled (at my request I might add because from the research that I did prior to the purchase it seemed to be the most popular. I don't even know why I requested that cos I normally like to learn how to do things for myself.)
    So first thing I did after setting it up with the cables from my sky dish was to power it on and see what the fastest twin PVR on earth could do.
    Erm well ok.. It took a while to setup the automatic scan and then took even longer for the scan to complete. Why you may ask? Well I had no clue what to do cos you see... there are two tuners and guess what my sky dish had two leads formerly plugged in the back of it. I my mind, the first lead will feed tuner A and the second will feed tuner b. Well if that’s the case (since I wanna get some 3'oclock football matches eventually) let me setup tuner A for Astra 28.2e and Hotbird and tuner B for Alsat and some other random one. I should mention that the dish I have is the standard dish and as you may have guessed it’s not motorised (I think is should insert lol here but some of you may find me to be rather pathetic so delete lol)
    Okay where was I so as you may have guessed that didn’t work out too good I did manage eventually to get somewhere after and btw tuner b was not configured.
    Okay so that was done channels all in alphabetical order some numbered or with no name. (Oh yeah as I am typing I am doing an auto scan for channels and I type like 10 words a min so you can imagine.. OMG why does it take soo long)

Okay so I have FTA channels nice. Next step I want to use my existing card in my new box this surely must be plug n play. I hold my breath in anticipation as I insert my card ( which took a couple of attempts didn’t realise I had to push a bit hard for it to go all the way in no wonder I couldn’t close it lol) still holding my breath as I begin to scan for channels but Oh No just a blank screen no sound back to Google to ask how I can use my existing card in a new box. Well at least I am not the only one as the question has been asked before and the answer has something to do with CCcams. As much as I have read I still don’t really get CCcams but what I understand is this:

In laymen’s terms CCcams allow your box to read cards it’s not designed for (Please correct me if I am wrong)

More to come in part 2 inc CCcams (what fun I can't wait

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCeez View Post
    Wow I thought this was gonna be straight forward.
    I got my new Vu+ Solo2 Box today (I must say that it was smaller than I thought it was gonna be from the pictures that I had seen, anyway..)
    It came preloaded with the Black Hole image preinstalled (at my request I might add because from the research that I did prior to the purchase it seemed to be the most popular. I don't even know why I requested that cos I normally like to learn how to do things for myself.)
    So first thing I did after setting it up with the cables from my sky dish was to power it on and see what the fastest twin PVR on earth could do.
    Erm well ok.. It took a while to setup the automatic scan and then took even longer for the scan to complete. Why you may ask? Well I had no clue what to do cos you see... there are two tuners and guess what my sky dish had two leads formerly plugged in the back of it. I my mind, the first lead will feed tuner A and the second will feed tuner b. Well if that’s the case (since I wanna get some 3'oclock football matches eventually) let me setup tuner A for Astra 28.2e and Hotbird and tuner B for Alsat and some other random one. I should mention that the dish I have is the standard dish and as you may have guessed it’s not motorised (I think is should insert lol here but some of you may find me to be rather pathetic so delete lol)
    Okay where was I so as you may have guessed that didn’t work out too good I did manage eventually to get somewhere after and btw tuner b was not configured.
    Okay so that was done channels all in alphabetical order some numbered or with no name. (Oh yeah as I am typing I am doing an auto scan for channels and I type like 10 words a min so you can imagine.. OMG why does it take soo long)

Okay so I have FTA channels nice. Next step I want to use my existing card in my new box this surely must be plug n play. I hold my breath in anticipation as I insert my card ( which took a couple of attempts didn’t realise I had to push a bit hard for it to go all the way in no wonder I couldn’t close it lol) still holding my breath as I begin to scan for channels but Oh No just a blank screen no sound back to Google to ask how I can use my existing card in a new box. Well at least I am not the only one as the question has been asked before and the answer has something to do with CCcams. As much as I have read I still don’t really get CCcams but what I understand is this:

In laymen’s terms CCcams allow your box to read cards it’s not designed for (Please correct me if I am wrong)

More to come in part 2 inc CCcams (what fun I can't wait
    Have you ever had a Linux box before also what part of the uk

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    It's fairly obvious you have never used or setup a Linux based STB before, so we need to take things one step at a time slowly.

first things first, where is your Fixed dish pointing towards ?, so that we can first set up the tuners.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks

Re: Total Noob Trying to Setup Vu+ Solo2 The Story So Far

Quote Originally Posted by snookera View Post
    Have you ever had a Linux box before also what part of the uk
    Nope this is my first box. I wanted a dreambox but the originals were expensive and I was not sure about the clones. Anyway I read that the Vu+ Solo2 was a good box.
    I live in Berkshire

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Title
    Thanks
    I'm guessing your dish points towards Astra 2 (28.2e)- set both tuner a and b to simple and to single 28.2e, for someone with little experience download a previously put together bouquet (for example SGT flip flop- although he's stopped making them) use dreambox edit to FTP them to your solo2. to make your card work you'll need to setup a softcam of some kind be it oscam cccam or another (such as mgcamd if you want EMM updates)

I've made this very brief and lacking in actual technical help to guide rather than to simply tell you how to do it- the best way to learn is to implement yourself. However if you get stuck just ask

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Speedydowt For This Useful Post:

avecmon (26-07-13)

Title
    Thanks
    I am pretty much similar to MRCEEZ situation.

I have been trying to install a you tube player. Do I need VLC player installed to play youtube?

I got youtube from webmedia. But I cant view any videos there.

Also if I want to search something , if I intend to type in alphabets its coming up as numbers.. How can I type in alphabets.

I use vu + solo 2 with latest vix image

Title
    Thanks
    Hmm looks like there is a lot of us on here, as my user name suggests!
    I bought the Solo2 as I got the impression it was one of the easiest to use! To make things as easy as possible I had it pre-installed with open vix, ... and I think there may even by CCCam on there....

I spent a bit of time searching before I bought and whilst I thought it would be fairly complicated, you kind of need to try it before you know you cant do it.

The problem we seem to be up against is that owing to the questionable legality of using CCcams, and the level and degree of customisation that is available I cant find a tutorial that takes me through it step by step.

I have managed to Root my phone successfully so I am not a total retard but I am not making any progress fast.

I think the best way to start would be a no strings Cline that is free and fully legal so that I could just make it work successfully....any one have any suggestions....

Any help support or suggested Google searches would be much appreciated.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    We will not go into clines or any other method of obtaining paid TV services for free here, but will gladly help you set up a cam to use your local card.
    For anything else, google is your friend. Something like a google search for Cccam card sharing tutorial would probably suit you well.
    That's as far as I going to go here & I'd suggest the same for you too.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to judge For This Useful Post:

Allthegearnoidea (25-03-13),avecmon (26-07-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Ok, so I have now managed to make my box work! Thanks for the help.

The next question I would like help with is a reccomendation for hard drive I need to buy, I'm thinking 1TB should do it....?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    any current 1TB or 2TB HDD shoud work fine if formatted in the box.

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    This is what I have fitted and its fine.

You will probably be able to get it cheaper from Scan.co.uk and they pay UK tax

HTML Code:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0053YLTBC/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

nik.here (25-03-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Code:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/275847-samsung-1tb-spinpoint-m8-internal-hard-drive-hn-m101mbb
    This is the one I am buying...
    Last edited by judge; 25-03-13 at 15:20. Reason: please code live links

Title
    Thanks
    Am I correct to say that SATA II and SATA III have the same physical and software requirements and the only difference is transfer speed? (3 GB/s and 6 GB/s respectively)

That being the case, and noting that this is the first SATA III compatible VU is it worth paying the extra for a SATA III or am I unlikely to notice the difference?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    you will see no difference. SATAII goes up to around 300MByte/sec and no normal priced traditional HDD can nearly reach it.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Trial For This Useful Post:

Allthegearnoidea (26-03-13)

Title
    Thanks
    Code:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Seagate-inch-5400RPM-Drive/dp/B007NVGWV0/ref=pd_cp_computers_0
    I went for this one in the end, I believe it is the updated version of the suggested samsung drive.

Hopefully it will install easily enough.