Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can this happen ...??

Title
    Thanks

Can this happen ...??

Hi,

I recently had an issue with my TM-Twin box (which is mentioned in another thread/topic on this forum).

Basically, once morning I got up and switched on the tv and found that the TM-Twin was stuck on CrossEPG updating. I tried to press any button on the remote and nothing worked. Then I tried all the buttons on the box itself and still no response.

After waiting for a long time, I switched off the device and restarted it - only to find that the TM-Twin was not stuck on 'Starting ...' message.

I tried everything I could to get it to work, reflashing bootloade, image, etc but nothing would work as it would not recognize any of my usb sticks and the ethernet port was also not showing any lights (meaning that the box was simply not booting and was therefore not on the network).

I sent it back to the shop I bought it from and they told me that something I downloaded overwrote some other important files. I don't agree with this as I didn't download anything.

They also told me that the usb port of the box were now malfunctioning and that they were going to send the box back to Technomate to get it fixed or replaced.

My questions are:
    - Can a update from CrossEPG corrupt other system files on the box (as that is what seems to have happenned)?
    - Can this physically damage the hardware i.e. USB port not working and ethernet not working, etc.
    - Is this covered by manufacturer warranty - as this is not something I have done. Everybody would update the EPG at some stage either manually or automatically, so I'm not sure what did I do wrong?

The box is currently with Technomate and I am waiting to hear from them.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated. Also, if this happens again, what do I do ???

Regards,

Title
    Thanks
    You have asked this question(s) elsewhere and you have recieved an answer from a director of tm
    From the horses mouth so to say.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks.

The reason for asking same question on both sites was basically to increase the chances of getting some answer to my problem. I hope that is not seen as an issue by the moderators.

I've just checked the answer on the other site and I've received a detailed answer from 'digidude'. Do you mean that he/she is TM director?

If yes, then that's really cool. I always thought that these forums are supported by general public out of personal interest, and not necessarily by people working for these companies.

Thanks for help guys :-)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by myself01 View Post
    Thanks.

The reason for asking same question on both sites was basically to increase the chances of getting some answer to my problem. I hope that is not seen as an issue by the moderators.

I've just checked the answer on the other site and I've received a detailed answer from 'digidude'. Do you mean that he/she is TM director?

If yes, then that's really cool. I always thought that these forums are supported by general public out of personal interest, and not necessarily by people working for these companies.

Thanks for help guys :-)

no Digidude is a lot of things but he's not affiliated with technomate other than the fact that he sells them.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Please don't misunderstand me I wasn't saying you can't ask on more than 1 forum I was just saying that there was an answer on the other forum.
    Most of use use more than 1 forum, I use this site as it is the home of openvix and I use vix on my tmtwin, without the work from the openvix team the tmtwin would still be unreliable, to be honest it is so reliable now it is boring. I also follow the other site as it is more box specific then software specific.

On most sites it's users but there is nothing to stop people with a commercial interest being members, it's the mods/admins that make sure that anything to biased is moderated.

Title
    Thanks
    Hi

Just an update.

I just received a call from the dealer, and he was told this by Technomate engineer that the flash on the TM-Twin box was damaged and that they are fixing it but will charge for it and I'd have to pay for it. TM have said that their normal charge is £60 but because they know my dealer pretty well, the would do it for £30.

They are saying that I tried to download something and in the middle of the update I either pulled the usb stick out or pulled the power out -> which damaged the flash memory.

I completely disagree with this as I didn't do that. The TM-Twin was stuck on the CrossEPG update and stuck there for a long time. Only after trying everything else did I switch off the power and restarted it. What else could I have done??

The dealer from whom I bought this box has also been told that I should not use any external usb HDD with the TM-Twin as they are rubbish and that I should only use internal HDD. I work in the IT industry and have been in for over 17 years and am really technically sound, and I do know what is good and what is bad.

Furthermore, the TM engineer has said that if this happens again, the cost to fix would be 60% of the cost of the box !!!!!

I am now really pissed off as these statements are completely rubbish. Also, it can happen again as well .... can't it?

So I am now supposed to pay for the repairs (at no fault of my own), spend another £50 for an internal HDD, and then use the box with a thought in my mind that if this happens again - I'll have to pay hundreds of pounds to get this fixed at no cost of my own .... fantastic !!!!!

Is this right? Can anyone guilde me on what mu options are?

Regards,

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    How long have you had it? shouldn't it still be under warranty?

Title
    Thanks
    Just around 2-3 weeks

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    Nah, I'd be extremely pissed at that too.
    Call TM yourself now that they have it & forget about the dealer for now...

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    In theory it's rather simple: the dealer has to prove it's your fault. If he can't he isn't allowed to charge you anything at all.
    But in the practice it may be more difficult.........

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Hi

Just an update.

I just received a call from the dealer, and he was told this by Technomate engineer that the flash on the TM-Twin box was damaged and that they are fixing it but will charge for it and I'd have to pay for it. TM have said that their normal charge is £60 but because they know my dealer pretty well, the would do it for £30.

They are saying that I tried to download something and in the middle of the update I either pulled the usb stick out or pulled the power out -> which damaged the flash memory.

I completely disagree with this as I didn't do that. The TM-Twin was stuck on the CrossEPG update and stuck there for a long time. Only after trying everything else did I switch off the power and restarted it. What else could I have done??

The dealer from whom I bought this box has also been told that I should not use any external usb HDD with the TM-Twin as they are rubbish and that I should only use internal HDD. I work in the IT industry and have been in for over 17 years and am really technically sound, and I do know what is good and what is bad.

Furthermore, the TM engineer has said that if this happens again, the cost to fix would be 60% of the cost of the box !!!!!

I am now really pissed off as these statements are completely rubbish. Also, it can happen again as well .... can't it?

So I am now supposed to pay for the repairs (at no fault of my own), spend another £50 for an internal HDD, and then use the box with a thought in my mind that if this happens again - I'll have to pay hundreds of pounds to get this fixed at no cost of my own .... fantastic !!!!!

Is this right? Can anyone guilde me on what mu options are?

Regards,
    How about you name the supplier that is advising you of these issues... ???

Title
    Thanks
    I don't want to do that as of now because he operates from home and is a small-time dealer and does not have a shop.

He lives opposite my home so I know him well. If it turns out that he's been playing me up, I will surely let you guys know.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    I don't want to do that as of now because he operates from home and is a small-time dealer and does not have a shop.

He lives opposite my home so I know him well. If it turns out that he's been playing me up, I will surely let you guys know.
    Your being taken for a ride, your unit is under warranty and should be repaired free of charge.

Call Richard @ Technomate and explain the situation.

Technomate Ltd
    Unit 11 Nobel Road
    Eley Industrial Estate
    Edmonton
    London N18 3BH
    United Kingdom
    Telephone
    +44 (0)20 8884 0701
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

irishchris (12-12-12),judge (11-12-12),Mr. Mister (11-12-12)

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    and trying to charge you, thats a rip off, so i would,nt protect him,
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

16. The Following User Says Thank You to basilyoung For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (11-12-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Final Update on this issue:

I've had a phone call with the Technomate engineer (Richard) who also talked to the TM dealer today morning to resolve the situation.

The flash on the TM-Twin unit was blown up, but not by me. Apparently, the dealer tried to fix the unit and blew up the flash and has accepted this to TM engineer.

Technomate are replacing the unit and possibly providing me a new one FREE OF CHARGE. He also told me that they don't charge customers on the first instance of the problem even if it is customer's fault. But if it happens again, then they do charge - which I think is ok.

He also explained to me that the external usb hdd are typically designed for computers and not A/V DVR recordings. Also, the external usb can go to sleep and power saving modes. This can cause an issue because if the sat receiver sends a signal to the external USB HDD to start recording, the usb device can take some time before it turns itself on and reaches the full hdd rpm speeds and be able to record. This sometimes results in recordings which do not work and other issues with external usb HDD.

I agree with the explanation provided and have therefore asked them to put an internal HDD, for which I will pay them seperately.

He also explained to me that Technomate's first priority is the customer. If a customer comes to them with a problem they do try their best to resolve it to the customer's satisfaction - and that too without charging the customer. They don't ask for receipts/invoices, etc as long as you have the box with you or you call them.

My going through my dealer was possibly a mistake and will not do that again.

I therefore thank Technomate for their excellent customer service provided to me and also the members of this forum for their useful advice.

I think this topic can now be closed as I am happy with the outcome.

Thanks.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to myself01 For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (12-12-12),scruff1963 (12-12-12)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast