Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: upgrading second stage

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

upgrading second stage

Wondered if someone can give some help regarding the upgrade of the second stage.....i put the ipk in the tmp area but the the error...

* ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for dreambox-secondstage:
    * mtd-utils-flash-erase * mtd-utils-nandwrite *

something to do with mtd utils - never heard of that before....i google and keep finding this phrase regarding this but not sure what to do with the command....

-add mtd-utils-flasherase and mtd-utils-nandwrite to rdepends

if i stick that into a telnet session it does nothing.....

Thats the fun of the dreambox - always a black art....i did update the second stage ages ago - cant remember how i did it but i take it its only a software update - youre not writing firmware to any hardware....

Anyway - appreciate the help as i think without this i cant run any of the newer images...

cheers to whoever does chip in...

Comfy

Title
    V.I.P Member
    Thanks
    If you have an original DM800 then you upgrade the SSto 84 via your browser, do it exactly the same way you would flash and image.
    Vu Duo 4K - Vu + Solo4K - Vu + Uno4K - Vu+Uno - Vu+Ultimo4K - Vu+ Zero - Vu+Solo-SE (In Black Evo ) - PrismCube

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Yup. Its an original....so is that using the ipk file....?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Little stuck - never done it that way before - ive always used barry allen to flash images - never done it this way.... can you give me a coupleo of pointers?

Cheers for the help so far....ill keep on googleing in the meantime to see if i can find the answer....

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    turn off the unit, restart it but hold the on button, this will stop the unit booting, and the unit will display its network address

use firefox ( webbrowser ) and input the ip addy of the unit

you will get a page come up, look for image upgrade or simular ( not done this for a while ) click on it

a new page will appear, find the update image ( nfi file ) select it, and the unit should then update

remember to back up any config files ( cccam for example ) before doing the the above
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Ah - i remember this - did this literally years ago.....tried it - gives me an error

INVALID IMAGE (OR OLD VERSION)

tried renaming the nfi to - img = same thing....unless ive got the wrong file - ive got an older dm800 - the one with the dvi output.....dont need to back anything up - starting from scratch again...clean sheet and all that.....

Title
    Thanks
    it looks like your trying to flash the image which will say that if it has a different ssl.
    the ssl will be a lot smaller than an image and shouldn't give that error.
    phoenix has posted one here
    http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...dreambox-2-0-0

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    ill try that - thanks for the link - the one i had was an "r11" image....

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    nah.....does the same thing - gives me the error....

just to add - going to that link its got that line in there

add mtd-utils-flasherase and mtd-utils-nandwrite to rdepends

what is that???
    Last edited by Comfysofa; 24-11-12 at 21:26.

Title
    Thanks
    HTML Code:
    http://dreamboxupdate.com/
    have a look at the link, also I think you might need to use the latest dreamup/null modem

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    yeah - i might have done it - i found that link just now - flashed the image .......went back to the flashing page.....it says at the top

DM800 second stage loader #84 (2011-09-02)

so i guess ive done it.....now just a bit of tuition here.....nothing is actually flashed to and hardware on the board just software patching....so, assuming my second stage is done - then i can reflash barry allen - and then install an oe20 image using barry allen....is that right??

just to add - whats the point in flashing software to go an dump it (ie barry allen boots and then boots an image from the hd) seems a bit odd....
    Last edited by Comfysofa; 24-11-12 at 21:54.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    just telnetted in.....thats all changed.....how do i telnet in and reinstall barry allen....looks like ive got a kind of bios view now....

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Comfysofa View Post
    yeah - i might have done it - i found that link just now - flashed the image .......went back to the flashing page.....it says at the top

DM800 second stage loader #84 (2011-09-02)

so i guess ive done it.....now just a bit of tuition here.....nothing is actually flashed to and hardware on the board just software patching....so, assuming my second stage is done - then i can reflash barry allen - and then install an oe20 image using barry allen....is that right??

just to add - whats the point in flashing software to go an dump it (ie barry allen boots and then boots an image from the hd) seems a bit odd....

BA lives in the flash image, with a simple image, and then uses secondary images, this is mainly due to the limitations of the 7000

I never really botherd with BA, and as a rule, used Nemisis, I take it, you use blackhole and the like via BA but as surgested earlier by stanman, PLi images might be best for you

14. The Following User Says Thank You to basilyoung For This Useful Post:

Comfysofa (24-11-12)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    well, ive always used barry allen as it means i can play around with different images....see which ones work best etc etc.....but, more to the point tell me about nemisis - ive never heard of that before - what does it do, where do i download it - is it the same sort of thing as barry allen..?

To be honest ive never really had great luck with sat boxes - i kinda get stuff working by hit or miss, kind of a glorious waste of time. Im not very good with linux stuff but force myself to use ubuntu, dreamboxes etc etc so ive got no choice but to learn...heh.

Previous post....weird telnet stuff - thats cos i left it in bootloader mode....
    Last edited by Comfysofa; 24-11-12 at 22:15.

Title
    Thanks
    I have never used barry allen it doesn't work well with pli based images which are what I prefer.
    I have a dm800se with the latest pli and a tmtwin with the latest vix image.
    nemesis is an image like blackhole, openpli etc though I must admit I have never tried it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to scruff1963 For This Useful Post:

Comfysofa (24-11-12)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast