Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GigaBlue Quad + OpenMips 2.0 + HDGlass16 skin + CoolTV Guide = Quad on VIX 3.1 ;)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mister View Post
    Some other 'bugs':
    - there are a few bugs that I found in VIX but not in OpenMips: audio tracks - when I change the audio tracks, say from Italian to English (when in Sky Italia), it takes up to 10 or more seconds for the audio to come thru.

Not the case for me.. Its exactly like it is for the Ultimo and Duo before that..

Nope, I did not have this bug with VIX 3.0 on my Duo.

- the famous LCD of quad - can not be used in its full glory on VIX - you have to tweak a skin xml file in order to get to show a few customized picons (different, bigger dimensions than the normal ones - even then I had a black skin for all other channels except the few sky uk hd customized picons). while on OpenMips lcd uses the the same picons you have on skin tv gui.

You have 2 options here.. 1/ Why not use the xml from open mips and add it to your Vix.. ? 2/ I have seen at least 3 thrrads on this forum where other members have posted their own xml file for others to use.. rossi has also started a set of picons for the Quad..

- I did that, I placed Rossi's picons - and yes, it showed those picons, namely the 30 something picons, while for all the other channels was showing an empty black screen.

- Project Valerie is not in VIX feeds anymore, while on OpenMips there is the latest build (I know why vix put it down - cuz of the PV buggs crashing the boxes).

Dont need to say anymore.. You got this one pretty much covered..

- if PV is not compatible in VIX, but in another image, then for me, VIX gets -1 credit.

- not sure about GlassHD16 skin - I think it's not in vix feeds as well.

Again.. I dont use any of the other skins.. as i like the Vix night skin more than any other.. ( But again this is your preference.. )
    I do like VIX night, and I tried to install it on my OpenMips) since it was showing in their feeds, but does not install properly. GlassHD is way beyond any other skin that I have tried so far. But that's only me maybe, who likes to tweak a lot the GUI as per my special likings...

- softcam restarts by itself (Cccam 2.2.1) quite often in Quad VIX - in openMips seems rock solid.

Please can you elaborate a bit more on this.. ?? as i have had no issues what so ever with any softcams..
    - it freezes, hence I need to restart it. Does not hapen with OpenMips - which has cccam 2.3.

- in VIX I had to quite often make the mount again for my nas drive

This bug was fixed a few build agao and everything has been fine ever since..
    I didnt know that since I am on OpenMips now.

Hope this helps buddy..
    As I said, these are my 'feelings' atm re VIX Vs OpenMips.
    Last edited by mauri; 07-11-12 at 23:47.
    GigaBlue Quad, Vu+ Duo 2TB HDD
    Panasonic Viera 55VT30 and Panasonic Viera TH-42PV60E
    W.H.E.N. multi-room system from Audioaccess, Xbox 360 kinect
    Pioneer VSX 1017AV with Definitive Technology Speakers + Yamaha SubWoofer NS-SW700
    Logitech Duet, Harmony remotes 900, 1100, LaCie Network Space 2
    HP Mediasmart Connect (which streams recordings from Vu+Duo HDD thru MiniDLNA client of VIX)
    (SKY HD+ Box, Kaon HD boxes in the drawers! )

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts
    OK.. We got a few of those sorted right away..

Your CCcam issue.. Vix has CCcam 2.30.. Have you tried that.. ??

Can i ask where you got the 2.2.1 ipk file from for the Vix image.. As this sounds like an ipk maybe for another image.. ??

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    OK.. We got a few of those sorted right away..

Your CCcam issue.. Vix has CCcam 2.30.. Have you tried that.. ??

Can i ask where you got the 2.2.1 ipk file from for the Vix image.. As this sounds like an ipk maybe for another image.. ??
    I do not remember where I got it from, but I have been using it since maybe 2 years on all my VIX builds, with no issues.
    I can attach it (if the forum rules allow it)...
    Pioneer VSX 1017AV with Definitive Technology Speakers + Yamaha SubWoofer NS-SW700
    HP Mediasmart Connect (which streams recordings from Vu+Duo HDD thru MiniDLNA client of VIX)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    On the VFD issue..

Its entirly up to Rossi if/when he decides to complete the picons for the Gigablue..

Although i have never used them on Ultimo or Quad.. He did make a great full set for the Ultimo.. So i see no reason why he will not do the same for the GB Quad..

Again.. The option still exists for you to use the xml file from the Openmips image..

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    This is the link where you will get the vix softcams..

Code:
    http://www.4shared.com/rar/-KLPZQYB/Cccam_230_gigablue.html
    If you decide to give Vix another shot.. Let us know how you get on..

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Mister For This Useful Post:

mauri (08-11-12)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry2 View Post
    I don't want to be provocative, but what do you find with VIX that is so much bette? I find great support here, but images are all based on the same Enigma 2 code I think, I see mostly differences in skin.
    Complete wrong statement! Sounds like you should figure out where openembedded core ends and Enigma 2 starts.

Quote Originally Posted by mauri View Post
    first of all, VIX was the last one jumping in the GB Quad boat (while other images were around since months now).
    Thats because we are NOT glory hunters! We waited for the 1st driver update that cleared a few issues. If ViX was released before the current drivers then you really would have had something to moan about.

Some other 'bugs':
    - there are a few bugs that I found in VIX but not in OpenMips: audio tracks - when I change the audio tracks, say from Italian to English (when in Sky Italia), it takes up to 10 or more seconds for the audio to come thru.
    Total nonsense, I use Sky IT myself, never takes 10 seconds to change audio, must be an issue in your configuration also an example of how in experienced you are! Menu > Setup > System > Auto language Selection, set undetermined as one of your preferred language's.

- the famous LCD of quad - can not be used in its full glory on VIX - you have to tweak a skin xml file in order to get to show a few customized picons (different, bigger dimensions than the normal ones - even then I had a black skin for all other channels except the few sky uk hd customized picons). while on OpenMips lcd uses the the same picons you have on skin tv gui.
    As stated you can tweak your own XML. Yes it may show picons as default, but everything else about the xml they've used is totally wrong! All the fonts sizes in different screens are wrong and follow no pattern. There will never be a perfect LCD XML that keeps everyone happy. IMO Picons are eye candy, the info currently show is far more useful than the tiny picon Openmips displays.

- not sure about GlassHD16 skin - I think it's not in vix feeds as well.
    That's because it makes too many core changes and cannot easily be uninstalled on any images.

- softcam restarts by itself (Cccam 2.2.1) quite often in Quad VIX - in openMips seems rock solid.
    Total nonsense, either you install the softcam wrongly or something wrong in your config.

- in VIX I had to quite often make the mount again for my nas drive
    Fixed.

- I dont remember some other minor things
    Well how can we help if you dont report them??

For me, at the moment, as far as GB Quad is concerned - VIX is not yet where it should be.
    That's you opinion.

THis is my personal opinion as I have tested OpenMIps OpenAAF and VIX. I can not send crash logs Ias I don't have them. But VIX is the most unstable FOR ME here. I had many green screens of death with it and I flashed a few times so it is not about some bad plugin I installed.
    Couldn't have been ViX installed as we dont have green crash screens. I've tested the Quad to death, anyone getting BLACK crash screens should post the logs, there have been a couple in last 2-3 updates, but have now been fixed. I even posted in ViX support center advising users not to update

All the other images were easily updatable by button, but for some reason I can not update Vix, it finds 40 updates and I update, it finds 20 updates and I update and it still finds 20 updates and the image is on 393 release, don't know why
    Its an update bug that's now been fixed, all you had to do is take a settings backup, reflash and restore your settings backup.

Bottom line is sometimes its far too easy to blame the image instead of checking out what you've done. Anyone getting any crash screens should report them in ViX Support centre or send the logs through logs manager, how else are we supposed to help?? Many plugins and skins like HD Glass can often be the cause, hence why they're not in the feeds!
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    Complete wrong statement! Sounds like you should figure out where openembedded core ends and Enigma 2 starts.

Thats because we are NOT glory hunters! We waited for the 1st driver update that cleared a few issues. If ViX was released before the current drivers then you really would have had something to moan about.

Total nonsense, I use Sky IT myself, never takes 10 seconds to change audio, must be an issue in your configuration also an example of how in experienced you are! Menu > Setup > System > Auto language Selection, set undetermined as one of your preferred language's.

The delay when swapping the audio track happens quite a lot. And yes, I know the auto language menu you are referring to, but that is not related to the bug I am telling about. In Duo on VIX 3.0 this happened rarely when going from media recorded to live tv or vice versa - I could not have the audio track. The only solution was to reboot the box.

As stated you can tweak your own XML. Yes it may show picons as default, but everything else about the xml they've used is totally wrong! All the fonts sizes in different screens are wrong and follow no pattern. There will never be a perfect LCD XML that keeps everyone happy. IMO Picons are eye candy, the info currently show is far more useful than the tiny picon Openmips displays.

That's because it makes too many core changes and cannot easily be uninstalled on any images.

Total nonsense, either you install the softcam wrongly or something wrong in your config.
    I have flashed my Duo tens of times, with different images/cams, so trust me I know what I am talking about.

Fixed.

Well how can we help if you dont report them??

That's you opinion.

Couldn't have been ViX installed as we dont have green crash screens. I've tested the Quad to death, anyone getting BLACK crash screens should post the logs, there have been a couple in last 2-3 updates, but have now been fixed. I even posted in ViX support center advising users not to update

Its an update bug that's now been fixed, all you had to do is take a settings backup, reflash and restore your settings backup.

Bottom line is sometimes its far too easy to blame the image instead of checking out what you've done. Anyone getting any crash screens should report them in ViX Support centre or send the logs through logs manager, how else are we supposed to help??
    I do not understand why so many admin/testers/forum supporters literally jump in someone's throat just because he/she gives HIS OPINION.
    I and many like me, are hobbyists, that like to play with these linux toys. Most of us are not programmers, so we would have the given status of speaking sensible (read: proffesional opinions in linux/STB matters). Therefore, please refrain yourself from this nonsense arrogant tone, since it does not help the sharing of thoughts/knowledge - which this forum is all about.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    It's not arrogant, just when people report issues without reporting any actual issues when they find them, it's hard to find & fix them.

Title
    Thanks
    @mauri

Because many of these people making these images are putting alot of time and energy and suddenly some dude like you comes and say VIX is crap and the others are better and in their own forum of all places, that is not nice, you have a free choice but don't be disrespectful just because you don't like it, what if there was only one image available? would you be happier then?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Likvid For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (08-11-12)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Likvid View Post
    @mauri

Because many of these people making these images are putting alot of time and energy and suddenly some dude like you comes and say VIX is crap and the others are better and in their own forum of all places, that is not nice, you have a free choice but don't be disrespectful just because you don't like it, what if there was only one image available? would you be happier then?
    What the heck you saying?!
    In what sentence/wording of mine you read smth in the lines that VIX is total crap?! :O
    Even the subject of my thread is saying, please, please bring us the VIX 3.1.

Or, maybe the language barriers play a role here...
    And yes, I am very thankful for the hard work put behind any image - especially VIX - since it is my preferred one.

And you know what, I would gladly be one of the VIX testers in Quad - should someone says yes to my offering.

but, I believe everyone has the right to give their frank opinion in matters concerning user experience...
    Last edited by mauri; 08-11-12 at 00:46.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    I do not understand why so many admin/testers/forum supporters literally jump in someone's throat just because he/she gives HIS OPINION.
    I and many like me, are hobbyists, that like to play with these linux toys. Most of us are not programmers, so we would have the given status of speaking sensible (read: proffesional opinions in linux/STB matters). Therefore, please refrain yourself from this nonsense arrogant tone, since it does not help the sharing of thoughts/knowledge - which this forum is all about.
    I'm not jumping down your throat, just answering to what you posted. You are the one who stated ViX is playing catch up which I feel is rather unfounded and felt I needed to post my opinion as you did You mention things like the LCD and HD Glass skin, every team has their own skins and their own thoughts one these and can easily be changed by the user. HD Glass skin can be the cause of many crashes because of what it installs, its not fully compatible with every image out there. People use it, get crashes then blame VIX! Thats wrong imo and needs to be addressed. Also you've not posted any logs to prove the instabilities you've posted about. If your going to blame ViX for anything like this at least please post your logs so we can check whats going on.

As stated in my earlier post, bottom line it's sometimes its far too easy for users to blame the image instead of checking out what they're done and what they've installed. Users should understand that not every plugin and every skin is fully compatible with every image and can cause crashes. Anyone getting any crash screens should report them in ViX Support center or send the logs through logs manager, how else are we supposed to help??

Most of us are not programmers, so we would have the given status of speaking sensible (read: proffesional opinions in linux/STB matters). Therefore, please refrain yourself from this nonsense arrogant tone, since it does not help the sharing of thoughts/knowledge - which this forum is all about.
    Sorry but where did I state you need to be a programmer?? I really do not feel I'm being arrogant, more the contrary. You are the one who posted here stating ViX is 'playing catch up' and 'last one jumping in'! This is total rubbish, yes we could have released an image months ago, but why? A) The Quad wasn't even on sale and B) The drivers where terrible before last update! So why release an image just for the glory of saying here's a ViX image?
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    My last comment, regarding Project Valerie and GlassHD 16 skin.
    I am attaching a few screen grabs just to give a sense of the nice features they have (and why I would have like them so much in VIX)... Peace!

screenshot 13.jpgscreenshot 15.jpgscreenshot8.jpgscreenshot11.jpgscreenshot 16.jpgscreenshot 12).jpg

Note that screen grabs have only OSD and no live feed picture - this seems to be a bug of GB Quad (the same in VIX and OpenMips).
    Last edited by mauri; 08-11-12 at 01:35.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    As pointed out you would have to speak to their various authors if you want them to be made fully compatible, as for the Glass 16 HD skin it does look nice and i used it my self for a number of months but they way it hacks into so many system files to install it self, and that fact that it is almost impossible to fully remove once installed means i will never use it again.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

mauri (08-11-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi Jerry..

You say that you were getting many green screens.. ( Vix only have Black screens since 1 year ago)..

Each time you get a black screen.. Your Quad will generate a crash log..

It would have helped the Vix team immensely if you had upload the crash logs to the forum..

Please could you do this in the future if you decide to try the Vix image again..

Yes it is black indeed ;-) I still have Vix. I will upload the crash log, I think you have some automated way of sending it. Unfortunately I have reflashed a few times so my logs are gone and this last time I didn't go into the stuff that made me crash the fisrt time (like auto selecting ABC head in tuner, but I selected all 3 satellites manually now)... I will send next time I get black screen, promise. I know you can not fix if I only talk about black screens without log. I am a programmer myself ;-)

Title
    Thanks
    Yes the update bug is fixed now ;-) I am on 905 ;-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast