Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GigaBlue Quad + OpenMips 2.0 + HDGlass16 skin + CoolTV Guide = Quad on VIX 3.1 ;)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

GigaBlue Quad + OpenMips 2.0 + HDGlass16 skin + CoolTV Guide = Quad on VIX 3.1 ;)

The title says it all.

Never thought that I would jump off the Vix boat - that is, till I combined in my Quad, OpenMips, HDglass16 skin and CoolTV guide. I mean, wow!
    GigaBlue Quad, Vu+ Duo 2TB HDD
    Panasonic Viera 55VT30 and Panasonic Viera TH-42PV60E
    W.H.E.N. multi-room system from Audioaccess, Xbox 360 kinect
    Pioneer VSX 1017AV with Definitive Technology Speakers + Yamaha SubWoofer NS-SW700
    Logitech Duet, Harmony remotes 900, 1100, LaCie Network Space 2
    HP Mediasmart Connect (which streams recordings from Vu+Duo HDD thru MiniDLNA client of VIX)
    (SKY HD+ Box, Kaon HD boxes in the drawers! )

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thats what I was using BEFORE VIX was released but without HDglass as a temp solution.
    I still think VIX is better and when (or if) a VIX3.1 is released I'm pretty sure it will wipe the floor of all other images.
    VIX has been a firm fave of mine ever since VIX1.2 and IMHO has always been a superior image
    VU+ DUO² (Triple S2 tuners) VIX, 750gb
    TM-Nano 2 Super, 320gb
    GigaBlue HD 800 UE Plus VIX
    TM-Single VIX IT'S ALIVE
    Octagon SF8 VIX (751MHz bootloader)
    MARA M9
    Harmony 700
    DGS108 GBLAN, DIY NAS (8TB) XPEnology
    1.1m dish, 0.1db Quad LNB, GTSAT DM14MG motor
    80cm dish, 2x 0.1db LNB + 1x Quad 0.2db LNB, Disqec 4/1.

Title
    Thanks
    I don't want to be provocative, but what do you find with VIX that is so much bette? I find great support here, but images are all based on the same Enigma 2 code I think, I see mostly differences in skin.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I find its set up pretty much just how I like it
    It is down to personal preference but VIX just feels smoother
    VIX does have some nice features (yes I know you "could" spend ages installing them etc etc on another image ) but why bother when VIX is more or less spot on out the box.
    TM-Nano 2 Super, 320gb
    TM-Single VIX IT'S ALIVE
    MARA M9
    Harmony 700

5. The Following User Says Thank You to marty For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (07-11-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry2 View Post
    I don't want to be provocative, but what do you find with VIX that is so much bette? I find great support here, but images are all based on the same Enigma 2 code I think, I see mostly differences in skin.
    I always prefered Blackhole, its like the Ferrari of images.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    I find its set up pretty much just how I like it
    It is down to personal preference but VIX just feels smoother
    VIX does have some nice features (yes I know you "could" spend ages installing them etc etc on another image ) but why bother when VIX is more or less spot on out the box.
    You summed it up perfectly what I think myself for VIX, but atm VIX is lacking on Quad box, and it's playing catch up when compared to other teams' images out there.
    For the moment I will stick with OpenMips (that is, till VIX 3.1 will hit the floor ).

cheers
    Last edited by mauri; 07-11-12 at 16:49.
    Pioneer VSX 1017AV with Definitive Technology Speakers + Yamaha SubWoofer NS-SW700
    HP Mediasmart Connect (which streams recordings from Vu+Duo HDD thru MiniDLNA client of VIX)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry2 View Post
    Thats like saying that all Linux distro's are basically the same just with a different GUI !.

I cant speak for any other image but I know that a huge portion of the ViX image has been re-written by andyblac him self to include features that he created or edited with the authors permission and are now as standard in many other images. for example The ViX softcam manager, ViX backup manager. ViX image manager. not to mention the many yet to be released additions that andy has coded.

a lot of you may say "yes but ViX is just a pli image with a new skin" and to those of you who think that i say look at our and the OE-Alliance gits and you will see just how untrue that statement really is.

At the end of the day we the end user have a vast amount of active teams and their various images to choose from, I personally use ViX not just because i'm a beta tester but because the image is constantly evolving and at every step we take our users opinions and requests into consideration before introducing new features. We go a very long way to ensure that our image is as user friendly as possible, while still allowing for user customization etc.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

marty (07-11-12),Mr. Mister (07-11-12),XabiX (07-11-12)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mauri View Post
    but atm VIX is lacking on Quad box
    Why do you say that?
    TM-Nano 2 Super, 320gb
    TM-Single VIX IT'S ALIVE
    MARA M9
    Harmony 700

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    Why do you say that?
    first of all, VIX was the last one jumping in the GB Quad boat (while other images were around since months now). I know, I will have replies like 'yeah, true, but that is because VIX goes in the mix only after testing thoroughly, etc'. But, personally I would prefer to have my favorite image (which is VIX), be it a little bit buggy, rather then having to try another image.

Some other 'bugs':
    - there are a few bugs that I found in VIX but not in OpenMips: audio tracks - when I change the audio tracks, say from Italian to English (when in Sky Italia), it takes up to 10 or more seconds for the audio to come thru.
    - the famous LCD of quad - can not be used in its full glory on VIX - you have to tweak a skin xml file in order to get to show a few customized picons (different, bigger dimensions than the normal ones - even then I had a black skin for all other channels except the few sky uk hd customized picons). while on OpenMips lcd uses the the same picons you have on skin tv gui.
    - Project Valerie is not in VIX feeds anymore, while on OpenMips there is the latest build (I know why vix put it down - cuz of the PV buggs crashing the boxes).
    - not sure about GlassHD16 skin - I think it's not in vix feeds as well.
    - softcam restarts by itself (Cccam 2.2.1) quite often in Quad VIX - in openMips seems rock solid.
    - in VIX I had to quite often make the mount again for my nas drive
    - I dont remember some other minor things

On the other hand, VIX integration of several, much needed features, like Software management, Cross EPG, multiquick button mapping etc etc, make the user experience, like you say - very smooth. it took me quite sometime tweaking around (the unknown) OpenMips, installing quite a lot of plugins which Vix has embedded, just to make a similar user experience as with VIX. And still I miss the simplistic - but great looking - vix epg. I miss the multiquick button commands that are embedded with vix, like IMDB query, timers, epg search. The menu trees in the image in VIX are much better laid out, etc.

But again, like you say, it always comes down to personal feeling.
    For me, at the moment, as far as GB Quad is concerned - VIX is not yet where it should be.

cheers
    Last edited by mauri; 07-11-12 at 22:39.

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    VIX was not released as we did not have any boxes to test on and will not release a totally untested image to users.

Am surprised you say "VIX is not there yet" as essentially its the exact same image across all the boxes we support and the only exceptions are HW limitations of the respective boxes.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    We have only a few testers with Quads, if you report the issues when you find them, they would be looked into a lot faster...

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Some other 'bugs':
    - there are a few bugs that I found in VIX but not in OpenMips: audio tracks - when I change the audio tracks, say from Italian to English (when in Sky Italia), it takes up to 10 or more seconds for the audio to come thru.

Not the case for me.. Its exactly like it is for the Ultimo and Duo before that..

- the famous LCD of quad - can not be used in its full glory on VIX - you have to tweak a skin xml file in order to get to show a few customized picons (different, bigger dimensions than the normal ones - even then I had a black skin for all other channels except the few sky uk hd customized picons). while on OpenMips lcd uses the the same picons you have on skin tv gui.

You have 2 options here.. 1/ Why not use the xml from open mips and add it to your Vix.. ? 2/ I have seen at least 3 thrrads on this forum where other members have posted their own xml file for others to use.. rossi has also started a set of picons for the Quad..

- Project Valerie is not in VIX feeds anymore, while on OpenMips there is the latest build (I know why vix put it down - cuz of the PV buggs crashing the boxes).

Dont need to say anymore.. You got this one pretty much covered..

Again.. I dont use any of the other skins.. as i like the Vix night skin more than any other.. ( But again this is your preference.. )

- softcam restarts by itself (Cccam 2.2.1) quite often in Quad VIX - in openMips seems rock solid.

Please can you elaborate a bit more on this.. ?? as i have had no issues what so ever with any softcams..

This bug was fixed a few build agao and everything has been fine ever since..

Hope this helps buddy..

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    first of all, VIX was the last one jumping in the GB Quad boat (while other images were around since months now). I know, I will have replies like 'yeah, true, but that is because VIX goes in the mix only after testing thoroughly, etc'. But, personally I would prefer to have my favorite image (which is VIX), be it a little bit buggy, rather then having to try another image.
    We have had a image for this receiver for many months now but unlike some other teams we wont release a image just to say we were the first, and absolutely not unless we have actually tested it on a physical receiver. in fact at last count i think there was something like 21 different boxes with ViX support, not all have been released for various reasons but just because there not in the public domain doers not mean that were not working on them.

Some other 'bugs':
    - I dont remember some other minor things
    Personally i see no point in comparing us to other images especialy when it comes to things like what we display on the VFD / LCD display. this is very personal info to each user and no matter what we place there some one will complain that it's not to their liking, that said there is something in the works in this area.

PV is not compatible with our image and for that reason we dont carry it in our feeds, if you want it to be fully ViX compatible speak to it's authors.
    the same is true for the Glass 16 HD skin.

I have yet to hear of any one else post a similar report as to CCcam with the ViX image and i'm certain if there was a problem people would have told us, that said unless you tell us how are we to know about it or even try to fix your issues ?.

The mounts issue has since been fixed, update to a newer version of the image.

On the other hand, VIX integration of several, much needed features, like Software management, Cross EPG, multiquick button mapping etc etc, make the user experience, like you say - very smooth. it took me quite sometime tweaking around (the unknown) OpenMips, installing quite a lot of plugins which Vix has embedded, just to make a similar user experience as with VIX. And still I miss the simplistic - but great looking - vix epg. I miss the multiquick button commands that are embedded with vix, like IMDB query, timers, epg search. The menu trees in the image in VIX are much better laid out, etc.

But again, like you say, it always comes down to personal feeling.
    For me, at the moment, as far as GB Quad is concerned - VIX is not yet where it should be.

cheers
    A image is a personal choice if you dont like once use another, but dont complain if your not at least prepared to submit crash logs etc.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (07-11-12)

Title
    Thanks
    THis is my personal opinion as I have tested OpenMIps OpenAAF and VIX. I can not send crash logs Ias I don't have them. But VIX is the most unstable FOR ME here. I had many green screens of death with it and I flashed a few times so it is not about some bad plugin I installed.

All the other images were easily updatable by button, but for some reason I can not update Vix, it finds 40 updates and I update, it finds 20 updates and I update and it still finds 20 updates and the image is on 393 release, don't know why. Maybe I am doing something wrong, I am not saying I am not. But I had most problems so far with Vix image up to now, the OpenMips was to plain for me (had to find many things), OpenAAF was the most stable for me.

As I said this is my personal opinion, it can change later. I'll install OpenAAF again now and try Vix at some later date. I like to flash images so it is no problem.

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Hi Jerry..

You say that you were getting many green screens.. ( Vix only have Black screens since 1 year ago)..

Each time you get a black screen.. Your Quad will generate a crash log..

It would have helped the Vix team immensely if you had upload the crash logs to the forum..

Please could you do this in the future if you decide to try the Vix image again..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast