Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VU+ Duo 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Title
    Thanks

VU+ Duo 2

Any one here have anyideas if this is still going to be available this month (November)?

Cheers

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    rumors are the solo2 is but the duo2 could be another month or two away.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    rumors are the solo2 is but the duo2 could be another month or two away.
    hope its not longer, suppose you havnt heard the price range? im thinking about £450?

Title
    Thanks
    I intend is to keep my present VU+ Duo but is there a chance it would eventually become obselete with respect to future image upgrades being only availiable for the Duo 2? Also, any ideas what enhancements the Duo 2 will likely have?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Conaxthewarrior View Post
    I intend is to keep my present VU+ Duo but is there a chance it would eventually become obselete with respect to future image upgrades being only availiable for the Duo 2? Also, any ideas what enhancements the Duo 2 will likely have?
    no image support wont cease ( at least not from us it wont ), as for driver support from Vu them selves i cant answer that one but i would not worry too much personally, I have a Duo and a Duo LE my self and have no plans of getting rid of them.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Conaxthewarrior (17-11-12)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    nothing as of yet mate.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Hoping that when they do come WOS will have a VERY healthy stock, with the that processor and transcoding feature they're going to fly out as soon as they are posted on the site. Tempted by GB quad but transcoding and dislike of square LCD displays keeping me from flashing the cash (yes I know the duo2 has an LCD, but I'll probably get the solo2, and if I do get the duo2 at least theres a VFD on it - if LCD cannot be disabled in config then I'll pop the top and disconnect the LCD if at all possible).

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    as far as i know the solo2 will have the exact same CPU as the GigaBlue quad.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    as far as i know the solo2 will have the exact same CPU as the GigaBlue quad.
    I read speculation that the transcoding capability is not via cpu but a separate chip, possibly a Magnum dx6225.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,138 Posts
    Hi,
    speculation was from me. Chip might be different because I took the name from a 2 year old spec sheet of a different STB.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    Neither the solo 2 or GB quad are capable of transcoding on the fly (bcm 7356) and neither contain a separate chipset to do this. The duo 2 is a totally different beast, it will be able to transcode on the fly due to it using the broadcom bcm 7424 which has that capability and will not need a second processor. Lots of speculation on the www, but all three rx's will only run E2 (broadcom chipset remember) tho who knows, someone could do a port of xmbc but somehow I don't think that will happen. (Would loved to be proved wrong on this)

We need to remember what is driving the market, forget the quad & solo 2 for a moment (just sat rx upgrades) the duo 2 takes us in a different direction with the advent of hbbtv the rx's we use at the moment don't do it justice

Code:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=53sCPei3o7E
    We need processors with a lot more grunt, and eprom space. hence the duo2

Regards
    Peter
    Last edited by Mr. Mister; 06-11-12 at 10:48. Reason: Edited live link..
    Vu+Solo2
    Vu+Duo motorised - 1.2mtr dishes - tho 1 fixed on 28.2 - the other 'the universe'
    DB 800
    DB 600
    been playing with sat since the 8 button Amstrad
    load of outdated junk sitting in the garage

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluepeter For This Useful Post:

75mak (08-11-12),Clabs (05-11-12),irishchris (06-11-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Duo 2 chipset :
    Code:
    http://www.broadcom.com/products/Satellite/Satellite-Set-Top-Box-Solutions/BCM7424

Quad/solo 2 chipset :
    Code:
    http://www.broadcom.com/products/Satellite/Satellite-Set-Top-Box-Solutions/BCM7356
    Regards
    Peter
    Last edited by Larry-G; 05-11-12 at 23:35. Reason: no lve links
    Vu+Solo2
    Vu+Duo motorised - 1.2mtr dishes - tho 1 fixed on 28.2 - the other 'the universe'
    DB 800
    DB 600

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bluepeter For This Useful Post:

75mak (08-11-12),irishchris (06-11-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 1,138 Posts
    Hi blupeter,
    what about this? Solo2

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trial View Post
    Hi blupeter,
    what about this? Solo2

ciao
    First of all, apologies for the live links must remember to reread the rules.

As I previously mentioned, the Solo 2 will run the r chipset as the quad (broadcom
    BCM 7356) check out my link to the Broadcom site to see it's specs..... no second processor in either. Think about it, why would Vu undermine the Duo 2 which is due to be their flagship model.

There is a fly in the ointment for the Solo 2, the GB quad appears to be a very well spec'd, they up'd the flash size at the last moment, could this have delayed the Solo 2, if you check the Vu site for the Solo 2 spec it mentions 1GB of ram, 128 MB flash. 128MB of flash doesn't cut the mustard does it, where is the room for apps?. Now take a look at the spec for the Duo 2, 2GB ram, 1GB flash..... lots of smoke and mirrors going on here don't you think?

If sat rx enthusiasts have followed Vu history there was mention over a year ago that they would develop a box (released end 2012) that runs XBMC4stb..... Xbox media center for set top boxes.. ... (Marusys - Prismcube) appears to be that rx. The Duo 2 & Solo 2 run Broadcom cpu's so it E2 unless Vu decide to change the chip set @ the last moment, that's not going to happen.

The fta satellite market in the UK is comparitively small, not so on the continent, we've adopted 'freesat 2' standard, Europe, hbbtv and that's where the sat market is going, oh and streaming to other net workable devices. Do we need anymore streamers? That's my dilemma. I already own 2 Netgear Neo 550's + a Dune that play blue ray rips, music (flacs gapless) from my NAS.... they access YouTube, radio, so do my Demon amps, my bloody TV's do as well.

I like the look of the Duo 2 (spec) but will it just be doubling up with other black boxes I own..... will the Duo developers be able to get their heads around all the HD audio formats that need HDMI passthru + FPS handling.... I know for chipset manufacturers (Sigma, Realtek, Arm, etc) it's been a minefield, will broadcom be any better with their microcode. You have to admit Vu haven't been the quickest in updating their drivers.... My now long in the tooth Duo is a great piece of hardware but the driver leaves a lot to be desired (memory leaks)

I think I'm going to wait to see what the Solo 2 is like, cheaper, better spec'd than the GB quad, if not then it's going to be the quad.... I want a satellite receiver first a foremost. I think the Duo 2 will end up being a jack of all trades master of none.... love to be wrong on that one tho.

Regards
    Peter
    Vu+Solo2
    DB 800
    DB 600

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bluepeter For This Useful Post:

75mak (08-11-12),bassethound (06-11-12),Larry-G (06-11-12),s31teg (06-11-12)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    I agree with you that the 'recoding' in the Solo2 flyer is probably a mistake.

What intrigues me: what would the extra CPU-power of the Quad/Solo2 be good for? For 'normal' STB-operations the standard (dual core) 400MHz chips are quite OK.
    So if not used for something like recoding: what's the use of extra CPU-power?

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast