Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Banned Press TV threatens SES legal action

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

Banned Press TV threatens SES legal action

Iranian-funded Press TV, which has already been banned by the UK’s regulator Ofcom, says it will sue SES Astra. It argues that Munich’s media regulator has made an “illegal” decision to force SES to take down the controversial broadcaster.

The channel went dark on April 3rd and that prompted a flurry of statements that the decision to remove Press TV is a “flagrant breach of regulations and a disproportionate act.” The channel says

it will be demanding compensation unless transmissions are restored today (April 5th).

In an email sent to the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB) officials, and reported on from local sources by the BBC’s Monitoring Unit, Vice President of SES Platform Services Stephane Goebel noted that the [Munich regulator] BLM has asked that Press TV be immediately taken off the platform, claiming that the channel does not have a license for broadcasting in Europe.

Press TV says the move is part of a “plot orchestrated by the West” to silence what it says is an alternative news network.

According to the reports, the lawsuit argues that the Munich regulator does not have the authority to pass a verdict for the removal of Press TV from the platform. “A legal measure can be taken only in cases where programmes of a third country violate internal regulations. However, BLM is not in the position of authority to make such legal moves when necessary. Such an authority lies with the commission for licensing and supervision [of Iran], Iran’s ZAK regulator.”

Code:
    http://advanced-television.com/index.php/2012/04/05/banned-press-tv-threatens-ses-legal-action/
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (05-04-12),Sicilian (06-04-12)