Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost loads of chanells, tune fail.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Lost loads of chanells, tune fail.

My ET5000 has recently developed a fault in that its lost loads of chanells that it previously had signals on.

I plugged in an Azbox Mini on Sunday and this managed to resolve the missing chanells so I suspect the ET has possibly developed a fault.

Now, this is not the 1st time that this has happened to a receiver using this communal multiswitch system that my apartment uses. I previously had a Spiderbox that went the same way and lost chanells.

I also use a Humax Abu Dhabi reciever that is also now behaving strangely in that it will only get a strong signal if used through the ET's loopthrough with the ET tuned to the ADMC Chanell and left in standby.

Previously it worked fine with the ET in deep standby. Now in deep standby it has a weak signal! Using the Humax alone it cant even get a signal on the ADMC Sports chanels but can get various other signals. Previously it was fine.

I beginning to suspect that possibly the system has sent out voltage spikes that has done the boxes tuners or power supplies in but I'm only guessing.

The communal system uses three dishes and a multiswitch to each apartment.

Can anyone shed any light on what may be going on here as its really frustrating to say the least.

Unfortunately, I wont be able to test the ET on another system untill I'm back in the UK next in May. I'm currently using the box in my aprtment in Morocco

Any thoughts would be much apreciated as its doing my nut in!

I've tried everything that I can think of on the S/W side of things.
    Extrend E5000 with Sundtek Cable Tuner & Octagon SF8 HD

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    My ET5000 has recently developed a fault in that its lost loads of chanells that it previously had signals on.

I plugged in an Azbox Mini on Sunday and this managed to resolve the missing chanells so I suspect the ET has possibly developed a fault.

Now, this is not the 1st time that this has happened to a receiver using this communal multiswitch system that my apartment uses. I previously had a Spiderbox that went the same way and lost chanells.

I also use a Humax Abu Dhabi reciever that is also now behaving strangely in that it will only get a strong signal if used through the ET's loopthrough with the ET tuned to the ADMC Chanell and left in standby.

Previously it worked fine with the ET in deep standby. Now in deep standby it has a weak signal! Using the Humax alone it cant even get a signal on the ADMC Sports chanels but can get various other signals. Previously it was fine.

I beginning to suspect that possibly the system has sent out voltage spikes that has done the boxes tuners or power supplies in but I'm only guessing.

The communal system uses three dishes and a multiswitch to each apartment.

Can anyone shed any light on what may be going on here as its really frustrating to say the least.

Unfortunately, I wont be able to test the ET on another system untill I'm back in the UK next in May. I'm currently using the box in my aprtment in Morocco

Any thoughts would be much apreciated as its doing my nut in!

I've tried everything that I can think of on the S/W side of things.
    Normally this is because the LNB voltage is not under load (normally it has to power the lnb) and the 13v vertical signal ends up a bit to high, I have seen this issue before the way to resolve it was to make up a cable with a resistor in it to lower the voltage a little

3. The Following User Says Thank You to g_p_t For This Useful Post:

Midnight (14-05-12)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by g_p_t View Post
    Normally this is because the LNB voltage is not under load (normally it has to power the lnb) and the 13v vertical signal ends up a bit to high, I have seen this issue before the way to resolve it was to make up a cable with a resistor in it to lower the voltage a little
    Any tips on how to make up this cable?

I was going to try a signal booster.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Any tips on how to make up this cable?

I was going to try a signal booster.
    signal boosters can make the problem substantially worse as they introduce a lot more noise or interference into the signal.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    signal boosters can make the problem substantially worse as they introduce a lot more noise or interference into the signal.
    Worth a shot though and if it doesn't work, well I'm only £4 down for the booster.

I have heard however, that for very long cable runs such as I have (Communal system) boosters can be helpfull.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Hi,
    a booster can only help when it is applied very early in the system. It does not make much sense to add a booster for the last meter.

ciao
    ---
    Sat:VU+ Ultimo4K/Solo4K/Duo2/2*Solo2/Ultimo
    Remote: Harmony 200, 700, Link, Smart Control, Smart Companion, Elite, 2*Ultimate, Keyboard

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    if your using a very long cable run a booster will likely make things a lot worse as the signal is weak enough to begin with so introducing even more noise on top of that can be a bad idea but as you said it's only a few quid so worth a punt.

as for the length of the run, well i have 3 dishes with runs ranging from about 25 foot to 70 foot easily, with no degradation of signal.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    if your using a very long cable run a booster will likely make things a lot worse as the signal is weak enough to begin with so introducing even more noise on top of that can be a bad idea but as you said it's only a few quid so worth a punt.

as for the length of the run, well i have 3 dishes with runs ranging from about 25 foot to 70 foot easily, with no degradation of signal.
    This system using three dishes feeding 5 floors of apartments with each floor having its own Triax multiswitch.

I'm on the ground floor so probally have the weakest signal

I always thought it strange however, that my 3 recievers initally pulled a reasonable signal and then over time lost channels.

I suspect that if I was to put another reciever in it too would get all the channels and then at some point lose them as well.

Very strange!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    do you use bootloader 84 on your ET. this bootloader has been a constant pain and sugest you revert to bootloader 82 image to solve prob. note if such is the case you are using a clone box which is not supported by this forum

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fintannl View Post
    do you use bootloader 84 on your ET. this bootloader has been a constant pain and sugest you revert to bootloader 82 image to solve prob. note if such is the case you are using a clone box which is not supported by this forum
    LOL, my ET5000 was purchased from the site sponsor so hopefully its not a clone!

Not sure what bootloader I have as the box was set up by WOS in Feb 2012.

I'm using the latest ET V5 image.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    one way to figure this is to flash a different et image. if you have the same problem then it is most likely a tuner fault. check dreamboxuk et image just for test purposes

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    LOL, my ET5000 was purchased from the site sponsor so hopefully its not a clone!
    The sponsor purchases direct from the manufacturer and can not abide clones so i can guarantee that it is a genuine receiver.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The sponsor purchases direct from the manufacturer and can not abide clones so i can guarantee that it is a genuine receiver.
    Its a genuine box and I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the tuner either.

This is definately a communal dish setup issue.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks

This is definately a communal dish setup issue.
    I am inclined to agree especially as you pointed out that you have had the same issue with other receivers after a while in operation.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Well fantastic news I fitted the cheap satellite booster and it worked, all my lost chanels returned

It seems as if the signal was just borderline and the booster has upped the signal enough to get a picture.

Definately worth a go if anyone finds themselves in the same dilema as me in the future

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast