Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Random Crashes VIX 2.3

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy View Post
    Hi mate, doesn't this keep the HDD spinning up too much? My current setup is EPG on a 16gb USB stick, recordings and timeshift onto internal HDD..
    No, as EPG is always kept in live-memory (RAM).
    epg.dat is a kind of hibernate-file: on stopping Enigma de file is written, on Enigma startup the file is being read.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks

Help please

I tried to follow this helpful guide but when I try to go to menu setup set up system, the option for hard disk isn't listed. This is after I reflashed the box with the latest vix image (3.0). Is there a way to format the hard drive on the box using FTP or ther functions? I know the hard drive is there as I can hear it spin away.......

Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    Thats one mistake straight away, its not recommend to store EPG in flash.

To be quite honest here, too many people find it easy to blame VIX instead of checking out their setup for mistakes.

Last 4 days I've been hammering a Duo trying replicate half of whats been mentioned in this thread to no avail.

My setup: -
    Fresh flash of VIX.
    Installed no extra plugins only a single softcam.
    Initialize HDD straight away. Menu > Setup > System > Hard disk > Initialize. Then press blue button to view progress. Once complete check in Mount manager that the HDD is mounted to /media/hdd and reboot.
    Setup bouquets.
    Setup EPG as pere her http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...all-ViX-Images Only set to use OpenTV 28.2 and Rytec Italy through XEPGDB sources. All EPG settings left as default apart from whats stated in the guide.
    EPG set to store on HDD.
    Timeshift enabled.
    Picons stored on HDD ( DO NOT STORE PICONS ON HDD UNLESS YOU HAVE TIMESHIFT ENABLED).
    I've had numerous recordings enabled, used live rewind etc..., had zero issues. I set the Duo recording 3x HD channels while watching a third! Everything been 100% perfect.

From this morning I've change my setup for further testing: -
    Added a Kingston 16GB G3 USB Stick. Inititialized the USB stick in the Duo itself so its EXT4. Then mounted to /media/USB.
    Moved Picons to USB stick.
    EPG now stored to USB stick.
    Timeshift now set to /media/usb/timeshift (I created the timeshift directory in USB stick root). Note this can be problematic due to the speed of USB drives, but I'm going to test again anyway.
    HDD now only used for recordings.

Again I say anyone having issues do the following: -
    Fresh flash.
    Re-initialize your HDD and any connected USB sticks, once initialized check they are mounted correctly in Mount Manager. Blue button > VIX > Mount manager and REBOOT.
    Transfer settings and bouquets pack and re-scan used satellites by performing a single satellite scan and setting clear before scan to yes.
    Setup Crossepg as per here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...all-ViX-Images DO NOT STORE EPG TO FLASH AND ONLY SELECT EPG SOURCE THAT YOU WILL ACTUALLY USE! TOO MANY SOURCES WILL GIVE YOU MEMORY ISSUES!
    Place picons on USB not HDD stick unless you have enabled timeshift to your HDD.

Too many users are just jumping on the band wagon in this thread instead of looking at their setup and what they have installed. I've tried for days to replicate some of these issues.

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    this thread, that you have posted in, is an old thread, relating to an old image, you will do best to start a new thread, as this one is also very long on post count
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213