Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Struggling with motor set up

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks

Struggling with motor set up

Hoping that the more experienced members will be able to help me out here.

To explain, at the moment tuners A & B are set up on a fixed dish for 28E and the third is set for the motor, a TM 2300, programmed for USALS with the Long & Lat checked from the stab site.

While I have now managed to reach the point that I can move the motor (via advanced sets, with extra voltage, thanks to all previous posters and most of the weekend sitting reading the forum), I am completely confused/ lost/ not understanding (delete as appropriate ) the next step in the setup to select the different sats and tune them in.

Now, I'm guessing that it will be so clear ONCE explained to me, but could some kindly person please give me that first vital push on the path?

Many, many thank.

The Jazzman

PS, should say that I'm using the latest VIX image
    Last edited by The Jazzman; 23-01-12 at 15:17.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Providing your dish is aligned correctly you should be able to use USALs then just send a set of Enigma 2 setting/bouqets accross to the recevier.

Dreamboxedit guide http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...o-using-DBEdit

Enigma 2 settings packs http://www.world-of-satellite.com/fo...gma-2-Settings Cateyes settings are good ones to start using motorised.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    also, which ever tuner is connected to the motor, all sats that you can pickup, should be set to "LNB 1"
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Hi all,

Thanks for your suggestions.

I thought it should be nice and simple as setting up the tuner and then having USAL drive it after. My old TM 6902 was great in that you just enabled the sats you wanted and then ran a full auto scan, which worked through all the programmed sats, scanning the various transponders in.

I'm starting off with having the motor/ dish alignment checked over and once I know that all is well there, it will be back to the box.

I'll keep you up to date with how I get on, or not as the case may be! Have to admit that most of the problems setting the Ultimo up have been user and not box related

Cheers

The Jazzman

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jazzman View Post
    ..... Have to admit that most of the problems setting the Ultimo up have been user and not box related
    So in the end you know both your box and yourself much better. Some self reflection never hurts.......

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

Clabs (24-01-12)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Just a quick one to say the installers have been out and we have discovered that the motor gears have stripped Not too surprised as I'm sitting at the top of a hill in a very windy area with a clear view of the North Sea, then Norway if you keep going!

So a new motor is on the cards.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to The Jazzman For This Useful Post:

Rob van der Does (25-01-12)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    If you get really strong winds, then imo you would be alot better off switching to a 36v motor setup.

Won't be cheap, but it will be reliable in strong winds.

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Have thought about it, but the real killer is that since my local installer retired, the nearest firm is a 70 miles round trip and I'm charged for 2 hours labour to cover the travel time before they even do anything!

$ky have completed the brain wash here that they are the only shop in town and any local installers are only interested in $ky.

Could you advise how difficult it might be for a self install for a novice with a good understanding?

Cheers
    Last edited by The Jazzman; 27-01-12 at 13:33. Reason: Spelling!!!

Title
    Thanks
    Personally as a 'techie' more knowledgeable about electronics than drill and screw type jobs, as long as you have common sense, you take your time and have a good 'plumb line' (tool to help get the mount perfectly vertical, spirit level is ok, but not perfect) then there no reason why you couldn't try to do it yourself. But as with anything if your not confident enough, you should only let the pros do it.

I'm glad I did it myself, now it anything goes wrong I should be able fix it.

BTW: I used the android phone compass to get the rough area for the sat, then used the dreamtools app to show me signal strength whilst moving the dish into place.
    Last edited by tsx; 27-01-12 at 13:47.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    I fitted mine with the help of the father in law, i've fitted all my own dish's over the years, fixed, diseqc and now my 36v system and never had a sat meter to do it with either.

But as for how easy or hard it is, all depends on where you are fitting the dish, if it's on the ground, then imo you have nothing to loose.

If it's got to go above the guttering to get line of sight (which mine has to) then i'd advise getting someone to help that doesn't mind ladders or sitting on a roof (i'm not a fan of ladders, but the father in law is a builder / roofer so that helped lots ).

As for the rest of it, it will depend on what dish and polar mount you go for I think.

The key is getting the pole 100% vertical, once you have that, 99% of the battle is won

The channel master that I used, was very easy to setup (adjust a few bolts to set the longitude and latitude), bolt the actuator on, and set it so the dish is centred, I then powered it up on the ground, so I can workout roughly where the actuator would be in the centre of it's travel for the dish to hit max east and west limits.

When it came to fitting, I removed the dish face, fitted the polar mount with actuator all built up, then bolted dish face back on, swung the lot round to 0.8°w made a few minor tweaks to peak the signal and then checked the arc.

As said i've never had a sat meter so just used the signal readout of the sat box as a guideline.

However last week I changed the LNB for a hybrid smart titanium using channel master feedhorn, and I borrowed a sat meter to see how well it was setup.

And of the 5 sats I checked with the meter it was 99.9% spot on for max signal

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ev0 For This Useful Post:

The Jazzman (29-01-12)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information.

The brackets/ fixing wouldn't be too much of an issue as they are very securely fitted to the house wall, bar about 3 meters up to avoid the trees, but under the roof line.

I have had a look at the "bulk" of a motor set up and I think I may have the problem that there might not be sufficient space/ clearance for it to run as to get 0.8w there is a "wee" tench in the wall to get the dish into position. Nothing major, about 1/8 inch. Then anything east is fine, to 53E, nothing west, location of the house and dish, unless I had two dishes, one on each end of the house

I have been thinking of replacing the $ky dish (rusting and looking really naff) and the cabling there, so I might try that, see how stressed out that drives me then have a go at the motor, if I'm not in a padded room!

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Jazzman View Post
    Thanks for the information.

The brackets/ fixing wouldn't be too much of an issue as they are very securely fitted to the house wall, bar about 3 meters up to avoid the trees, but under the roof line.

I have had a look at the "bulk" of a motor set up and I think I may have the problem that there might not be sufficient space/ clearance for it to run as to get 0.8w there is a "wee" tench in the wall to get the dish into position. Nothing major, about 1/8 inch. Then anything east is fine, to 53E, nothing west, location of the house and dish, unless I had two dishes, one on each end of the house

I have been thinking of replacing the $ky dish (rusting and looking really naff) and the cabling there, so I might try that, see how stressed out that drives me then have a go at the motor, if I'm not in a padded room!

Thats why mine has to go above the guttering, as I couldn't go much further west than 7°e as the dish would be in the wall.

But by lifting it up above the guttering, I can now go way past 45°w (if only there were something to pickup round there).

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The original plan was to have it above the roof line, but when Andy was fitting it, on a calm-ish day, he struck his head above the edge then shouted back "not likely" (cleaned up version). Thus, the digging of the tench to get 0.8w at least.

Considering the winds we have had over the last few months, I do truly believe that if the dish was above the roof line, I would have had a downed wall to rebuild