Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Xtrend ET 9200 or Vu+ Ultimo what to buy?

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberCrime View Post
    Told him about the silverline on the barcode label and his box as not got it, he is so p*ssed as he was told its 100% a bug free silver line edition
    Should have purchased from our sponsor
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Well thats where i'm buying my box from today.
    I like the Ultimo but think it will be the et9200 as its £200 cheaper for almost the some spec if you take away the extra tuner and the fancy display.
    Only thing that makes me want to go for the Ultimo is FPGA and the 1GB, but isn't the 1GB just for image data? as both have 512MB ddr?
    Can a user take advantage of the extra flash space?

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Ultimo has 1GB Flash/512 ram. ET9200 has 256mb Flash/515mb ram. In all honesty not quite sure why VU+ made the flash larger than the ram, would have been better the other way round imo. You would need to have an awful lot of plugins installed just to fill the ET9200's amount of flash!

You could always turn a ET9200 into a triple tuner. For instance you can buy a DVB-T2 tuner for £55 here
    Code:
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/pctv-nanostick-t2-290e-hdtv-usb-tv-tuner-card-10962120-pdt.html?srcid=867&cmpid=comp~Google~~10962120&istCompanyId=9a35962d-802d-4e67-9721-0a3328ca1f02&istItemId=wqllalmr&istBid=t
    So then you would have 2x DVB-S/S2 & 1x DVB-T2 for freeview HD.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

bassethound (20-01-12)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Half of the 1GB flash of the Ultimo is reserved for later use. So 512MB is available atm.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

Clabs (22-01-12),pooface (20-01-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Hi everybody, as this is my first post here I have many questions. I have been wanting to buy a box and to set up satellite TV from scratch for a long time. My friend already has a Vu+ duo with a rotating satellite and he is very happy with it. Nevertheless some 1080p mkv do not run as smoothly all the times.

I was thinking of getting the ET9100, but a few months ago I found out about the ET9200 and I thought I buy it as soon as I decided about all the components (satellite needed). Today I found out about the VU+ ultimo, it looks nice but as someone pointed out it has a 200GBP difference and I would be lucky if I get use of both tuner cards, let alone 3.

I have also learned today about the ET9200 silverline edition (SE), and I was wondering if there was a justifiable argument to go straight to the VU+ ultimo instead of the ET9200 SE.

My questions are:
    1) Do they have the same CPU? I know the 400Mhz is the same, but is the architecture different, sometimes clock speeds are not everything?
    2) Do you think that ET9200 will benefit from the community support (firmwares and updates) for some time, or will most developers just work on the VU+ ultimo?
    3) Are the tuners in VU+ ultimo much better than the ones in the ET 9200 SE?
    4) I did not understand the 1gb ROM, but only 512Mb are available so far, can someone explain it?
    5) Is the FPGA worth upgrading? What kind of functionalities might that bring to the box that ET 9200 SE will not have?
    6) Does VU+ ultimo have a built in Wifi or do we need a USB dodge for it?

Sorry for all these questions, but in order to take my decision I would like to have as much information as possible.

Thank you in advance for all your help
    Last edited by Johev; 20-01-12 at 11:45.

Title
    Thanks
    good questions Johev
    2) you have the work of the vix team so got the best
    6) usb dodge going by the support page
    thats me done lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to CyberCrime For This Useful Post:

Johev (21-01-12)

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johev View Post
    Hi everybody, as this is my first post here I have many questions. I have been wanting to buy a box and to set up satellite TV from scratch for a long time. My friend already has a Vu+ duo with a rotating satellite and he is very happy with it. Nevertheless some 1080p mkv do not run as smoothly all the times.

I was thinking of getting the ET9100, but a few months ago I found out about the ET9200 and I thought I buy it as soon as I decided about all the components (satellite needed). Today I found out about the VU+ ultimo, it looks nice but as someone pointed out it has a 200GBP difference and I would be lucky if I get use of both tuner cards, let alone 3.

I have also learned today about the ET9200 silverline edition (SE), and I was wondering if there was a justifiable argument to go straight to the VU+ ultimo instead of the ET9200 SE.

My questions are:
    1) Do they have the same CPU? I know the 400Mhz is the same, but is the architecture different, sometimes clock speeds are not everything? Not sure if there 100% identical but more than enough for the job
    2) Do you think that ET9200 will benefit from the community support (firmwares and updates) for some time, or will most developers just work on the VU+ ultimo? VIX is supporting the ET range and we will continue to so as are other teams as for what they will do long term only they can say but I see no reason why they will not be support for the ET for long time to come

3) Are the tuners in VU+ ultimo much better than the ones in the ET 9200 SE? Not got either so cant say but have a ET9K and VU and really no difference between the two but no doubt some one with eagle eyes will see a difference

4) I did not understand the 1gb ROM, but only 512Mb are available so far, can someone explain it? 1GB is flash so you can stick things like PICON there rather than using USB etc.

5) Is the FPGA worth upgrading? What kind of functionalities might that bring to the box that ET 9200 SE will not have? Not sure, its more image driven, obvisoulsy things like PIP are box dependent ala VU+.

6) Does VU+ ultimo have a built in Wifi or do we need a USB dodge for it? USB dongle aAFAIK no box has built in WIFI at this price point.

Sorry for all these questions, but in order to take my decision I would like to have as much information as possible.

Thank you in advance for all your help
    Please always start your own thread with questions rather than injecting into someone elses as its good eitquette. I have aswered next to your questions

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

Johev (21-01-12)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks

My questions are:
    1) Do they have the same CPU? I know the 400Mhz is the same, but is the architecture different, sometimes clock speeds are not everything?
    2) Do you think that ET9200 will benefit from the community support (firmwares and updates) for some time, or will most developers just work on the VU+ ultimo?
    3) Are the tuners in VU+ ultimo much better than the ones in the ET 9200 SE?
    4) I did not understand the 1gb ROM, but only 512Mb are available so far, can someone explain it?
    5) Is the FPGA worth upgrading? What kind of functionalities might that bring to the box that ET 9200 SE will not have?
    6) Does VU+ ultimo have a built in Wifi or do we need a USB dodge for it?
    ad 2: no worry s there mate
    ad 3: No
    ad 4: atm only 512MB of flash is available; the other 512MB has been reserved for possible future use.
    ad 5: One MUST always use the latest FPGA.
    FPGA is the firmware in a chipset, that can be upgraded, allowing for better communications with the tuner-boards. Only UNO & Ultimo have this: other makes depend on a fixed-hardware config.
    As an example: the recent SR30,000 problems for the UNO could be resolved witj a FPGA upgrade; the same problem on ET's lead to hardware modifications.
    ad 6: The Ultimo comes with a dongle

BTW: Please be aware that NO STB will ever be as good in plying all kinds of mediafiles as a "real" mediaplayer. All video decoding is done in hardware, so the results will depend on the way the files are coded.
    MKV (and AVI and several other) are "containers", so the term in itself means nothing: they can be coded by all kinds of codecs. If coding has been done up-to-standard playback will be fine. You might consider re-coding using a PC.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

Johev (21-01-12)

Title
    Thanks
    First I want to thank you all for your replies and answers to my questions. I know I am a new guy here, but the world of forums is not something I am new to.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanman View Post
    Please always start your own thread with questions rather than injecting into someone elses as its good eitquette. I have aswered next to your questions
    I am not sure how things work in this particular forum, but I think I had pertinent questions regarding the topic that is being discussed in here. If everybody opened a thread with different questions about the same equipment it would be a mess (my personal opinion). I don't think I hijacked the post, I only complied what for me (and I think that for other people too) are the most important questions when deciding which box to buy. Hopefully the OP did not mind, as that is what I interpret from his post.

Rob van der Does thanks for the FPGA explanation, I have read about it on the wikip before posting, but I could not see a practical example of how the end user could benefit from it. Now I do

Regarding the dedicated media player, for my needs I think any of these two boxes would be more than enough. I understand the codec thing, as I have studied IT for a while, but in my opinion the CPU in the vu+ duo might need a bit more power (333mhz) to play all the current formats perfectly. Hopefully the one in the ET9200 and in the Vu+ Ultimo meet the minimum requirements for smooth playback of most files

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Regarding the dedicated media player, for my needs I think any of these two boxes would be more than enough. I understand the codec thing, as I have studied IT for a while, but in my opinion the CPU in the vu+ duo might need a bit more power (333mhz) to play all the current formats perfectly. Hopefully the one in the ET9200 and in the Vu+ Ultimo meet the minimum requirements for smooth playback of most files
    No STB-CPU's is capable of any video decoding, in spite of having dual core CPU's @ 405MHz.
    For that reason video-decoding is done in hardware; hence the files must comply with the codecs that are in that hardware. If that is the case, playback is just fine. If not (as is often the case with files 'found' on the internet), re-doing is required.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

Johev (21-01-12)

Title
    Thanks
    Are they really dual core CPU's? I have never read that in any place, and I think it would be worth marketing. Could you confirm it?

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    UNO, DUO, Ultimo and ET9x00 are; not sure about the rest.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

Johev (21-01-12)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Are they really dual core CPU's? I have never read that in any place, and I think it would be worth marketing. Could you confirm it?
    Spec sheet for the BCM7405

Code:
    http://www.avs.org.cn/fruits/Doc/%E5%8D%9A%E9%80%9AAVS%E8%8A%AF%E7%89%877405-PB04-R.pdf
    Dont forget forum members discount http://www.world-of-satellite.com/sh...1591#post91591
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

bassethound (21-01-12),Johev (21-01-12)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Link doesn't work: file attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    downloaded fine for me this morning and just now too. but not to worry it's a very small file
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast