Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Caution! Vu+ Clone

ekkostar
    The ebay clone looks pretty close to the original. No doubt the cloners will have it perfected in no time at all.

The reality is during the lifecycle of a box, the OEM themselves will source components that will likely change due to supply issues. In other words two Genuine boxes may have slightly differing non critical components depending on build dates.

The clones are just an extension of this.

The difficulty is when you have clones of this calibre it is impractical and impossible for every customer to insist on opening the box and taking the lid off prior to buying.

Usually the best way to drive the clones out is to re-price the Genuine article via authorised sellers.

A clone Solo sells for £130 and a genuine for £209. If VU can try bridge that gap via authorised outlets then it hardly makes it worth the while going down clone route.
    Last edited by ekkostar; 06-01-12 at 17:23.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkostar For This Useful Post:

Donnie (06-01-12)

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ekkostar View Post
    The ebay clone looks pretty close to the original. No doubt the cloners will have it perfected in no time at all.

The reality is during the lifecycle of a box, the OEM themselves will source components that will likely change due to supply issues. In other words two Genuine boxes may have slightly differing non critical components depending on build dates.

The clones are just an extension of this.

The difficulty is when you have clones of this calibre it is impractical and impossible for every customer to insist on opening the box and taking the lid of prior to buying.
    Yeh very true

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts
    guys..

you dont even need to open any box to spot a Vu clone..

I have just seen this for myself with a duo.. only 5 minutes ago..

A friend of a friend arrived at my home about 30 mins ago.. He had a nice new duo.. all packaged up exactly the same as a genuine one..

He did not tell me it was a clone.. until i asked him if it was.. He confirmed this right away..

You do not need to open the box.. Just have a look at the size of the rubber feet on the bottom of the stb..

They are in fact.. twice the size they are on the original.. and i know.. i got 5 duo`s..

He then asked me to flash his new clone duo as he waited.. So i agreed.. ( Having something up my sleeve as i wanted to have a closer look at things as i aint seen one of these before.. )

I knew that there was a fair chance that i could flash the box with the new bootloader and 2.3.. ok.. then if i done the updates.. the box would just stick on starting after the reboot..

Low and behold.. Thats exactly what happened..

So i now am in possession of a clone Vu+ Duo at the moment.. and this guy gonna call me tomorrow to see if i can get it working..

I aint had time yet to really have a look at it.. but im sure i could take the lid off it.. and take any pics ye guys want..

just let me know guys..
    Last edited by Mr. Mister; 06-01-12 at 17:29.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Mister For This Useful Post:

Donnie (06-01-12),Ev0 (06-01-12)

ekkostar
    The VU is a premium machine but not to the extent of the Dream boxes. I suspect the Solo and Duo were being phased out by VU but the OEM's still see them as viable machines, as indeed they are and will continue to be.

I think where you have Dream, the boxes have become prohibitively expensive, which in turn has encouraged a secondary clone market.

It's ironic when you have a good product then the legacy of it spawns an enterprising industry in itself.

Whilst VU themselves are now moving on to the Uno and Ultimo, the OEM's have probably outsourced to develop this lucrative supply chain.

You cannot build a clone of this degree without OEM involvement.
    Last edited by ekkostar; 06-01-12 at 17:36.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mister View Post
    guys..

you dont even need to open any box to spot a Vu clone..

I have just seen this for myself with a duo.. only 5 minutes ago..

A friend of a friend arrived at my home about 30 mins ago.. He had a nice new duo.. all packaged up exactly the same as a genuine one..

He did not tell me it was a clone.. until i asked him if it was.. He confirmed this right away..

You do not need to open the box.. Just have a look at the size of the rubber feet on the bottom of the stb..

They are in fact.. twice the size they are on the original.. and i know.. i got 5 duo`s..

He then asked me to flash his new clone duo as he waited.. So i agreed.. ( Having something up my sleeve as i wanted to have a closer look at things as i aint seen one of these before.. )

I knew that there was a fair chance that i could flash the box with the new bootloader and 2.3.. ok.. then if i done the updates.. the box would just stick on starting after the reboot..

Low and behold.. Thats exactly what happened..

So i now am in possession of a clone Vu+ Duo at the moment.. and this guy gonna call me tomorrow to see if i can get it working..

I aint had time yet to really have a look at it.. but im sure i could take the lid off it.. and take any pics ye guys want..

just let me know guys..
    Yeh get that lid off, and take some nice close up shots please, if you don't mind

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ev0 For This Useful Post:

Donnie (06-01-12)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,934 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ekkostar View Post
    The VU is a premium machine but not to the extent of the Dream boxes. I suspect the Solo and Duo were being phased out by VU but the OEM's still see them as viable machines, as indeed they are and will continue to be.

I think where you have Dream, the boxes have become prohibitively expensive, which in turn has encouraged a secondary clone market.

It's ironic when you have a good product then the legacy of it spawns an enterprising industry in itself.

Whilst VU themselves are now moving on to the Uno and Ultimo, the OEM's have probably outsourced to develop this lucrative supply chain.

You cannot build a clone of this degree without OEM involvement.

I can assure you the duo and solo are no where near being phased out by Vu, the Uno and Ultimo are additions to Vu's line not replacements.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

bassethound (07-01-12),Donnie (06-01-12),Ev0 (06-01-12),Foxylady (06-01-12),Mr. Mister (06-01-12),Rob van der Does (06-01-12),stick50jr (07-01-12),tosh2004 (21-03-12)

ekkostar
    Well, if that is the case then VU need to act pretty pronto indeed. In order to combat you have to act swiftly and with a 360 action plan.

The cloners will undoubtedly be working on getting Uno's and Ultimo's out there soon enough. The Ultimo is an expensive machine and if a decent clone gets out at the £250 mark, then it would certainly spell problems.

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    I think the Uno will be next, but yeh the Ultimo won't be far away.

What exactly do you think Vu need to do though to stop the clones ?

Title
    V.I.P Member
    Thanks
    It's good to see everyone taking this stance against clones and hopefully clone users will find out they are not welcome on boards like this and they will find it even harder to get help.
    Vu Duo 4K - Vu + Solo4K - Vu + Uno4K - Vu+Uno - Vu+Ultimo4K - Vu+ Zero - Vu+Solo-SE (In Black Evo ) - PrismCube

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Donnie For This Useful Post:

bassethound (07-01-12),Ev0 (06-01-12),Mr. Mister (06-01-12)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,036 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Any member coming here for clone support will be instantly banned without question.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter 0penViX
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, AX HD61 COMBO, ZGEMMA H9 TWIN, VU+ ULTIMO 4K
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Technomate 80cm Powered by TM-2600 and Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

bassethound (07-01-12),Donnie (06-01-12),easy (06-01-12),elplicko (29-01-12),Ev0 (06-01-12),Foxylady (06-01-12),Mr. Mister (06-01-12),silverfox0786 (06-01-12),Technovice (06-01-12),Ureyesonly (19-02-12)

ekkostar
    If you're premium brand with a premium product then the reality is you can't stop the clones.

It's a commercial decision in the end and a decision on how to combat counterfeit goods. You have to use legal means to an extent, but these are costly and time consuming. You have to tighten your supply chain e.g. a network of authorised dealers and you have to look at reasons for entry e.g internal pricing.

All this needs to be done simultaneously to help clamp down on the problem and protect your prime market of genuine buyers. This is ultra important to VU as companies can easily lose genuine buyers long term.

Ultimately it does not stop the clones, what it does is split the market into two distinct categories

1. those who knowingly wish to buy genuine product
    2. those who knowingly are prepared to buy a clone

Unfortunately it's a plague which you have to learn to live with and control rather than go all out to eradicate.

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ev0 View Post
    Yeh get that lid off, and take some nice close up shots please, if you don't mind
    Am just flashing this and setting it up at the moment..

It went fine with the bootloader.. and the image..

Box rebooted fine.. Just doing the updates at the moment..

When i get it working.. i will take as many photos as you guys wish..

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Mister For This Useful Post:

Ev0 (06-01-12)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    ok.. Its doing the same as the original Solo a few days ago..

Once the updates are installed.. The box just sits with starting on the front display..

Its a funny one thou.. As the clone is doing the same thing as the originals..

Ill pop the lid off it now.. and take some pics..
    Last edited by Mr. Mister; 06-01-12 at 18:33.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. Mister For This Useful Post:

Ev0 (06-01-12)

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Guys..

As promised.. here are the pics..

The 2-3 with one duo on top of the other are.. Top one is clone.. Bottom one is original

hope these help some of you..
    Attached Images Attached Images

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Mister For This Useful Post:

arniesack (26-03-15),Ev0 (06-01-12),Foxylady (06-01-12),Larry-G (06-01-12),Rob van der Does (06-01-12),silky (21-05-12)

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Very hard to tell the difference visually. The VU+ DUO in white is fatter than on the clone but not something you would notice at first glance.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Stanman For This Useful Post:

Mr. Mister (06-01-12)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast