Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Twin tuner configuration advice

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    i'm not saying its the wrong way to go but it is a very expensive setup to instal and do you need it ?.
    It is expensive but so was the Ultimo
    To be honest, I don't know what I'm doing and unfortunately I'm not getting smarter either it seems...
    whats a diseqC btw? would that be something that is incorporated into a multi LNB set-up?

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by qpush View Post
    To be honest, I don't know what I'm doing and unfortunately I'm not getting smarter either it seems...
    whats a diseqC btw? would that be something that is incorporated into a multi LNB set-up?
    yes, its a switching method, to hop from one lnb to another ( also diasque is mis spelt which does,nt help )

and yes there are serious benifits to the multy lnb option, but unless you are going to have say 1 west through to 28 east, there are much cheaper options
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

Title
    Thanks
    yes, its a switching method, to hop from one lnb to another ( also diasque is mis spelt which does,nt help )

and yes there are serious benifits to the multy lnb option, but unless you are going to have say 1 west through to 28 east, there are much cheaper options

http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/...onnect-Systems

Title
    Thanks
    So Basil... I could then have a quad LNB --> diseqC ---> tuner A which would equal to being able to record from up to 4 transponders on the same satellite simultaneously.
    And I would still have tuner B to play around with (motorized/fixed dish with dual LNB + diseqc then?) for even greater spread.
    Please tell me I am getting the hang of this...

Thanks, I really appreciate the help you guys are giving me.

Title
    Thanks
    So Basil... I could then have a quad LNB --> diseqC ---> tuner A which would equal to being able to record from up to 4 transponders on the same satellite simultaneously.
    And I would still have tuner B to play around with (motorized/fixed dish with dual LNB + diseqc then?) for even greater spread.
    Please tell me I am getting the hang of this...

Thanks, I really appreciate the help you guys are giving me.
    Yes you are getting there, my main concern, is that often, sat installers, only sell half the story, or worse, sell what they can do, rather than whats needed, and still worse, sometimes install, with a planned "call back", and blame the customer, for being unclear in the first place

I could then have a quad LNB --> diseqC ---> tuner A which would equal to being able to record from up to 4 transponders on the same satellite simultaneously.
    yes, this could be as stated, or 4 seperate lnb,s ( there are options to have as many lnb,s ie; 16 lnbs via switching so giving instant switching on a single tuner, and if dual lnb,s, both tuners would have the same options, giving total freedom )

its also possible to run a motor/ diseqC on the same tuner, although much more advanced

Title
    Thanks
    Again, thanks Basil...
    Seems I have a lot to think about before deciding for which way to go....
    Well, tomorrow's a new day...

Title
    Thanks
    yes,..but you are going on the correct route

investigate best options first, then act

many only come here, after they acted, it then gets expencive, its been a pleasure chatting

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    What I'm missing in this whole thread is: why not add the third tuner to the Ultimo? You spend so much money to get a flexible system to be able to watch & record many satellites, so why not this cheap (GBP29 if I remember well) addition?

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    What I'm missing in this whole thread is: why not add the third tuner to the Ultimo? You spend so much money to get a flexible system to be able to watch & record many satellites, so why not this cheap (GBP29 if I remember well) addition?
    Sounds like a good idea Rob... but how would I take advantage of it in the best way?

If I go with the Wave frontier solution with 5 x dual LNB's connected to tuner A + B then how would I use the third tuner? must the third tuner have a cable stuck in to it or can it be somehow connected from the inside of the box with tuner A/B and somehow take advantage of their connection?

Thanks

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    you could either install a third DVB-S2 tuner card and use that for another satellite feed or you could buy the DVB-T/C combo card and use it as a terrestrial Tv or cable tuner for added flexibility ( although in the uk you would not be able to decode the cable feed on he box but the terrestrial option works a treat and without needing a USB terrestrial tuner card ).
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    you could either install a third DVB-S2 tuner card and use that for another satellite feed or you could buy the DVB-T/C combo card and use it as a terrestrial Tv or cable tuner for added flexibility ( although in the uk you would not be able to decode the cable feed on he box but the terrestrial option works a treat and without needing a USB terrestrial tuner card ).
    I don't use T/C but would gladly add the S2 tuner...

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,957 Times in 3,276 Posts
    qpush, T90 costs a fair bit of money, but is great for zapping. Set up tuners A & B connected to the T90 and have tuner A as prefered. Then stick a 3rd tuner in the Ultimo and connect it to the motorised dish (tuner C). Now if you have chosen well which satellites will be available on the T90, the motorised dish will only be used pretty infrequently... so you can loop out of that tuner and into the Dreambox in the bedroom. Add a Nova-T USB stick (tuner D) for terrestrial recordings and you will have a pretty complete system.
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    No need to set tuner A as preferred in that setup: if set to "auto", which is the default, tuner A or B (wich males no difference) will be preferred by the box.

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,957 Times in 3,276 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob van der Does View Post
    No need to set tuner A as preferred in that setup: if set to "auto", which is the default, tuner A or B (wich males no difference) will be preferred by the box.
    I've never really understood this. In auto how does the receiver select the tuner? Is it the first available tuner? Or is it the tuner that has the smallest number of satellites available?
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Huevos View Post
    I've never really understood this. In auto how does the receiver select the tuner? Is it the first available tuner? Or is it the tuner that has the smallest number of satellites available?
    Indeed: in "Auto" the tuner with the least possibility's will have prio 1 etc. Prio 1 means that the very first task will be given to that tuner (if possible of course), be it live-TV or recording.

This is a very simple protocol, that offers room for flaws: the box will only look at the situation at the moment a timer starts, and will not take future timers into consideration. But this flaw cannot be overcome by setting a priority by hand.
    Example: there are two overlapping recordings; the first one can be done via tuner A but also via tuner B, the second one only via tuner B. If at the moment timer 1 starts you are watching TV via tuner A the recording will be done via tuner B. That means that tuner B isn't available any more for timer 2.
    If the tuner-choice-process would take future timers into account, the live TV would have been done via tuner B.
    Alternatives would be dynamical assignment of tuners (during a recording another tuner can take over) and/or the assignment of prio-tuners for recordings (although that would require some knowledge by the user).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Rob van der Does For This Useful Post:

Huevos (09-01-12)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast