Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twin tuner configuration advice

Title
    Thanks

Twin tuner configuration advice

Hi Guys, still doing my best trying to configure the Ultimo

Tomorrow (Friday) the sat guy is coming to set up a second dish on my roof...
    The second dish will be fixed towards 19.2 with a twin LNB... my current dish is motorized with a single LNB.

Have I understood it correctly when I say that with a single LNB you can record one channel of choice and simultaneously only watch another channel within the same transponder? Now, if I add a twin LNB can I then record one channel and watch any other channel on the same satellite even if they are on different transponders?

By adding a twin LNB to my motorized dish, would I then be able to do the following:
    record 2 channels simultaneously on 19.2e (fixed dish) and at the same time record another channel on 0.8w while I watch whichever channel on the same sat?

What would be the result of having a quad LNB on one or both of the dishes?

Over to the internal HDD... how do you normally manage that?
    I installed the mediaplayer plugin to access recordings... is there some other way to access it in an easy way?
    How do you delete recordings from within the GUI?
    How do you do to record something which is scheduled to air in lets say 2 weeks from now and how would you know what will be aired in 2 weeks from now?

Ohh.. strange... the internal HDD is 2TB and it shows "capacity: 2000.398 GB - Free: -1 MB ???? did a 5 minute test recording only ... do I have to format it or something?

Thanks for your patience / Q
    Last edited by qpush; 06-01-12 at 01:10.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by qpush View Post
    Hi Guys, still doing my best trying to configure the Ultimo

Tomorrow (Friday) the sat guy is coming to set up a second dish on my roof...
    The second dish will be fixed towards 19.2 with a twin LNB... my current dish is motorized with a single LNB.

Have I understood it correctly when I say that with a single LNB you can record one channel of choice and simultaneously only watch another channel within the same transponder? Now, if I add a twin LNB can I then record one channel and watch any other channel on the same satellite even if they are on different transponders?
    you are correct in yr understanding there

By adding a twin LNB to my motorized dish, would I then be able to do the following:
    record 2 channels simultaneously on 19.2e (fixed dish) and at the same time record another channel on 0.8w while I watch whichever channel on the same sat?
    for this you will as a twin on 19 be able to watch 2 different transponders on 19e yes
    for twin lnb on yr motor you can only watch at teh same time 2 different transpoders from the same sat you are on as they dish teh moment it moves will loose the first transpoder
    or you can watch yr motor and record on 19 as that a diferent dish altogether

What would be the result of having a quad LNB on one or both of the dishes?
    i dont see the point in quad as it wont make much benifit to you considering what you want to setup

tripple tuner you original thought is best 2 on 19e and 1 as motor

Over to the internal HDD... how do you normally manage that?
    I installed the mediaplayer plugin to access recordings... is there some other way to access it in an easy way?
    How do you delete recordings from within the GUI?
    How do you do to record something which is scheduled to air in lets say 2 weeks from now and how would you know what will be aired in 2 weeks from now?

Thanks for your patience / Q

you can format and initialise the hdd within box

there is a record list button to see the recording and pressing menu allows you to do things like delete move etc
    there is alow colour short cut keys that will be labled on screen

using vix you will see all this and infact dont need media player plugin as vix hsa its own media player which works brill
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply silverfox -
    I managed to initialize the HDD and it looks like it did the trick... thanks for confirming the LNB issue, twin LNB it is...

So how do you add a recording days or even weeks before a program is aired?

Thanks!

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    ahhh i knew i forgot to answer a question

short green button is timer to add a timer as long as you got pull populated epg you can add and search as far as yr epg goes

or set a manual recording by entering data in manually for what ever date channel and time you want

long green button is autotimer [linux way of saying series link]

set up the same way but instead searches yr epg for all teh same titles and adds to record list
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

Title
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,958 Times in 3,277 Posts
    Regardless of the aerial system you also have to consider the hardware limitations of the receiver.

1 tuner = 1 transponder. So if you want to record from 2 transponders on 19.2E and record from 1 transponder on 0.8W at the same time you need 3 tuners.

Also, if you are thinking of having a twin LNB for 19E and a motorised LNB how are you thinking of interfacing these to the Ultimo? Are you going for 3 tuners? Or will you just have 2 tuners and be sharing one tuner between the 19E fixed dish and the motorised one?
    Help keep OpenViX servers online.Please donate!

Title
    Thanks
    Que cuentas Huevos

Well... turns out I don't have a clue about anything, although I thought I had it figured out...

This is what the sat-guy will do for me:
    1. keep my motorized dish but connect it to the DM800 in the bedroom... this is the dish that is connected to the Ultimo in the living-room right now.
    2. Install a new dish (wave frontier or something like that) with a cluster of twin/dual LNB's and connect it to the Ultimo (Tuner A + B) in the living-room.

I will just have to trust him on this one... opinions/comments are welcome though!

Thanks

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    you can go with any of those setups but remember most sat installers will say what ever they believe will persuade you to spend money.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    the wave frontier dish with a cluster of lnb,s is an expencive chioce, but very g0od as well, but with the motorized dish going to your 800 exclusively is a bad move, for the following reasons, and also begs a question

Q; with the wave frontier dish/lnb cluster is it his intention to set these up to the 2 inputs, ie; 19/28/13/16 east to one input, and say, 23/1 west/9 east/5 east to the other? if so, it defeats the object of a twin tuner, as it would restrict your freedom to record say 1 channel on 19 east whilst watching another on 19 east

the ideal, in my opinion, is to have a dual lnb on the motorized dish,with the ultimo controlling the dish or a loop through to the 800
    second dish, would be either a second moterized dish/fixed dish with multy lnb,s ( which can be done on a standard dish for a lot less than the wave frontier dish )
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    you can go with any of those setups but remember most sat installers will say what ever they believe will persuade you to spend money.
    I'm actually not choosing between the two but thats rather the way it will be set up... one motorized single LNB for one receiver and the fixed "clustered-LNB-dish" for the spanking new vu+.

Setting up (materials+labor) the clustered-LNB-dish (Torodial?) will cost about EUR 400 which is more expensive then the average set-up but the advantage is that it's a flexible system where I will start out with covering 5 satellites and if needed can add coverage for another 5 satellites by adding more LNB's. What I like best about this set-up is that the 5 satellites are all available immediately without having to wait for the dish to rotate.

Title
    Thanks
    please also concider my previous post

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by basilyoung View Post
    the wave frontier dish with a cluster of lnb,s is an expencive chioce, but very g0od as well, but with the motorized dish going to your 800 exclusively is a bad move, for the following reasons, and also begs a question

Q; with the wave frontier dish/lnb cluster is it his intention to set these up to the 2 inputs, ie; 19/28/13/16 east to one input, and say, 23/1 west/9 east/5 east to the other? if so, it defeats the object of a twin tuner, as it would restrict your freedom to record say 1 channel on 19 east whilst watching another on 19 east

the ideal, in my opinion, is to have a dual lnb on the motorized dish,with the ultimo controlling the dish or a loop through to the 800
    second dish, would be either a second moterized dish/fixed dish with multy lnb,s ( which can be done on a standard dish for a lot less than the wave frontier dish )
    Oh boy... I'm getting more and more confused

I need a clarification in order to understand how things are working:

In the case of ONE motorized dish with a single LNB (this is what I have now) connected to tuner A, I can record one show and at the same time watch another show within the same transponder... nothing else.

If I add a dual LNB to the dish does it then have one or two cables coming out of it? If the answer is two cables, then what happens with them? Are they connected to some kind of box or similar and then one cable continues to my tuner A.. or is one cable going to Tuner A and the other cable to Tuner B?
    Or does a dual LNB only have one cable coming out of it?

I'm extremely confused right now so sorry... / Thanks

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Oh boy... I'm getting more and more confused

I need a clarification in order to understand how things are working:

In the case of ONE motorized dish with a single LNB (this is what I have now) connected to tuner A, I can record one show and at the same time watch another show within the same transponder... nothing else.

If I add a dual LNB to the dish does it then have one or two cables coming out of it? If the answer is two cables, then what happens with them? Are they connected to some kind of box or similar and then one cable continues to my tuner A.. or is one cable going to Tuner A and the other cable to Tuner B?
    Or does a dual LNB only have one cable coming out of it?

I'm extremely confused right now so sorry... / Thanks
    one cable goes from the receiver to the motor then the lnb to power the motor, the second feed you can either rout to a second receiver ( obviously you cant drive the motor with this one ) or hook it up to another tuner in the same box as the first feed to allow record functions on two independent transponders both feeds will always be from the same satellite regardless of where it points to.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    ...both feeds will always be from the same satellite regardless of where it points to.
    But isn't that the advantage with the torodial antenna as its fixed (no motor) but receive signal from all (configured) satellites at the same time?
    So back to your questin there Basil... yes I think the idea was to equip this torodial dish with 5 dual LNB's - so covering 5 satellites simultaneously and connect both to tuner A and B.

Makes me believe you would have a quite flexible system where you could record from two different satellites at the same time while you watch ... yea... what would you watch? anything as long as its from the same transponder as the two you are currently recording or could you watch something from a third satellite or anything from the two satellites your recording from even though its not on the same transponder?

Title
    Thanks
    the options are many, and what you were looking at, ( going on the installers surgestion ) is the possibilty of having to call him back out, due to not getting the best option, in the first place, like all things, its best to get it right first time

dual tuner units, you main aim should be to maximize freedom of chioce/recording and viewing totally independantly, to achieve this, your best options are

tuner A ( or B ) motorized, ( or diasque switch to multy lnb,s ) dual lnb,s are best, as it give extra options for second units
    tuner B ( or A ) again as above, or perhaps a fixed dish

this way, you can have recordings on all available sats, or picture in picture ie; pip on say 28 east/19 east

with the spare lnb connections, these could be disqued to you DB800, therefore giving the second unit equal freedom, ( but with out control of a motorized dish

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    But isn't that the advantage with the torodial antenna as its fixed (no motor) but receive signal from all (configured) satellites at the same time?
    So back to your questin there Basil... yes I think the idea was to equip this torodial dish with 5 dual LNB's - so covering 5 satellites simultaneously and connect both to tuner A and B.

Makes me believe you would have a quite flexible system where you could record from two different satellites at the same time while you watch ... yea... what would you watch? anything as long as its from the same transponder as the two you are currently recording or could you watch something from a third satellite or anything from the two satellites your recording from even though its not on the same transponder?
    i'm not saying its the wrong way to go but it is a very expensive setup to instal and do you need it ?.

SIMPLES.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast