Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion on things you can do with the Ultimo

Title
    Thanks

Suggestion on things you can do with the Ultimo

I finally made up my mind! Decided for an Ultimo despite it's (much) higher price (duo was the other alternative).

First thing I did today was to call the sat guy who previously installed and configured my motorized dish + DM800 and ask him to install a second dish.
    This new, fixed second dish will point towards Astra 1 as that's where all my wife's channels are. I will most probably also install a twin/quad LNB on my motorized dish to make the most out of it... so one tuner for the wife and one for me.

What else can you do with a box like the ultimo, except for watching and recording TV?

Can you transfer movies(xvid, divx, mkv, qt etc.) to it and play it directly from the box? install a torrent client? music central? Things I'm not even familiar with?

How do you guys take advantage of your boxes?

Thanks / Q

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Although these boxes are not marketed as media players and all such functions should be considered as a bonus you can play a range of different video and audio files quite happily using the inbuilt media player, in ViX we have our very own with no need for external plugins. i my self have a HDD installed into both my Uno and Duo networked to each other along with a a NAS for storing movies and other recorded content etc.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    I recall reading in my travels it can be used to download torrents but never done it.

As for what you can do, its going to be the same as a DUO but quicker and better.

Use it to play your videos, music and pictures from a NAS or USB stick.

Stream to your phone or tablet in the house.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    One area these boxes need to be looking at (especially in the high end boxes) is the whole internet TV.
    40" TVs for the price include nearly more features than those high end boxes (Digital HD, Sat HD, PVR to usb, full epg, DLNA Support, Facebook, Netflix, Youtube etc. Not alone blueray players and amps or even roku type boxes from £60 odd.
    Its not really bringing any thing new to the party.
    These linux boxes were the first to utilise the internet connection but other devices have passed them out since.

My 2 pence worth.

Title
    V.I.P Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dfdream View Post
    One area these boxes need to be looking at (especially in the high end boxes) is the whole internet TV.
    40" TVs for the price include nearly more features than those high end boxes (Digital HD, Sat HD, PVR to usb, full epg, DLNA Support, Facebook, Netflix, Youtube etc. Not alone blueray players and amps or even roku type boxes from £60 odd.
    Its not really bringing any thing new to the party.
    These linux boxes were the first to utilise the internet connection but other devices have passed them out since.

My 2 pence worth.
    In many ways you are correct so lets hope Vu stick with XBMC and give us something we can say is worth while.
    My only gripe with the box is the remote which is buggy to say the least.
    Last edited by Donnie; 03-01-12 at 20:57.
    Vu Duo 4K - Vu + Solo4K - Vu + Uno4K - Vu+Uno - Vu+Ultimo4K - Vu+ Zero - Vu+Solo-SE (In Black Evo ) - PrismCube

Title
    Thanks
    Is there any development on XBMC for vu+ (ultimo)? I have neen using it for a while and like i a lot...

Not fair dfdream... I paid top dollar for this box and want to hear good things only

Regarding the RC... anything in particular or just random stuff? I actually ordered a Harmony 900 today which will be replacing the ultimo (and the TV and the Sound System) RC's. Was initially going for a pre-owned 555 but decided for the newer one.

Delivery is scheduled for Thursday... I can't....... stand... the wait

Q
    Last edited by qpush; 03-01-12 at 22:08.

Title
    V.I.P Member
    Thanks
    XBMC was shown at the recent Vu promotion in Amsterdam ( from memory ) but reports are it in early development.

As for the remote it is unresponsive and temperamental but the Uno remote seems better with it for now.
    Vu Duo 4K - Vu + Solo4K - Vu + Uno4K - Vu+Uno - Vu+Ultimo4K - Vu+ Zero - Vu+Solo-SE (In Black Evo ) - PrismCube

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    XBMC was shown at the recent Vu promotion in Amsterdam ( from memory ) but reports are it in early development.

As for the remote it is unresponsive and temperamental but the Uno remote seems better with it for now.
    Seems XBMC is also meant for new (2012) Hardware

Meanwhile I'm planning ahead Downloaded VIX (check), scheduled sat-guy (check)

Title
    Thanks
    Ohh, a quick one... Can I save and transfer my current channel settings from the DM800 to the ultimo? The channels are so nicely organized and I wouldn't want to have to go through that same process if not needed.

Thanks

Title
    V.I.P Member
    Thanks
    Yes you can

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    Yes you can
    Don't make me beg for it Donnie

Is there anything else I should be backing up that I don't know of now that I exchange the 800 for the ultimo?

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    channel settings use dreamboxedit to back up.

Back up your CFG files for the cams

Back up your autotimers, if like me you have lots of them.

Beyond that I dont think so, easy enough to set up from scratch.

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanman View Post
    channel settings use dreamboxedit to back up.
    anything equivalent for osx? i have iDreamX... maybe there's something similar there?

Back up your CFG files for the cams
    I have saved one called CCcam.cfg - are there more?

Back up your autotimers, if like me you have lots of them.
    I guess autotimers are for recordings? I don't have any of those.

Beyond that I dont think so, easy enough to set up from scratch.
    Thankful for your patience / Q

Title
    Thanks
    iDreamX actually offered the possibility to "Save user settings (Bouquets)" so that has been done now... I suppose I just transfer those same files to /etc/enigma2/ and the satellites.xml to /etc/tuxbox/

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I don't have a Mac but I think IdreamX is similar. If you are on just a fixed sat or even multi , there are many settings in the engima 2 forums that you could use, such as our very own Silverfox ones or catseye or Vhannibal for motors etc.

D I S C L A I M E R

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast