Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to a vu+ (Ultimo)?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks guys,

I now understand the requirements and how to take advantage of a second tuner and I believe I will go with alternative 2 there Ekkostar
    While none of the boxes can be considered "cheap" I'm not in a situation where I have to pick one or another based on their price.

The Ultimo/Duo it is... even though it might be more then I currently need... who knows... might be me answering questions here in a years time!

Thanks for all input and explanation of the technical terms!

ekkostar
    Quote Originally Posted by qpush View Post
    Thanks guys,

I now understand the requirements and how to take advantage of a second tuner and I believe I will go with alternative 2 there Ekkostar
    While none of the boxes can be considered "cheap" I'm not in a situation where I have to pick one or another based on their price.

The Ultimo/Duo it is... even though it might be more then I currently need... who knows... might be me answering questions here in a years time!

Thanks for all input and explanation of the technical terms!
    Glad to be of assistance.

Any linux machine (not embedded) will provide serious ongoing flexibility. The rest is hardware limitations.

You have to bear in mind cost/price even if you can/cannot afford it. You can try to future proof yourself but receivers are forever changing !

In your position I would seriously consider the Duo, at current prices it's the 'gem' in the VU line up. Due to the sheer numbers it has sold and the huge widespread support it has, you will be hard done by to look any further.

That machine and it's support are not going anywhere for a long time to come.

If you really wish to overkill/indulge then by all means consider the Ultimo.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ekkostar View Post
    Glad to be of assistance.

Any linux machine (not embedded) will provide serious ongoing flexibility. The rest is hardware limitations.

You have to bear in mind cost/price even if you can/cannot afford it. You can try to future proof yourself but receivers are forever changing !

In your position I would seriously consider the Duo, at current prices it's the 'gem' in the VU line up. Due to the sheer numbers it has sold and the huge widespread support it has, you will be hard done by to look any further.

That machine and it's support are not going anywhere for a long time to come.

If you really wish to overkill/indulge then by all means consider the Ultimo.
    You might be right Ekkostar... I have to admit it sounds tempting to go for a duo and trick it out with a 1TB internal HDD... for less money then the Ultimo... decisions, decisions

I will make up my mind today, that's for sure!

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    Just to add my two pennies to this conversation. If money was not an issue, than for me it would be the Ultimo all the way. Its better speced and you have the option of triple tuners and believe me in time you will need them. I have several boxes and still encounter conflicts when recording.

I hardly ever watch live tv apart from when testing the image, otherwise its when I want to watch without the adds.

I have a DUO as well and its a great box for the money. It does what it says on the tin. I have one of the very first builds and it has been rocked solid. Its the family box so from 8AM to 10/11PM it is on more or less the whole time.

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for your input Stanman... Yes, I guess its all about understanding a different concept of watching TV... I watch all things live as I have no HDD installed but I can see myself getting used to recording

ekkostar
    I have to admit it sounds tempting to go for a duo and trick it out with a 1TB internal HDD... for less money then the Ultimo... decisions, decisions

I will make up my mind today, that's for sure!
    For the same price you'll get a Duo, a HDD and quite probably a second dish fitted. If you can install a dish yourself (28.2E is not difficult) then you'll save even more.

A fortnight ago that was considered a premium set up. Not a lot has changed since then and won't for the considerable future. Ultimo or no Ultimo.

You're DM800 is still a perfectly capable machine

I have both the Ultimo and the Duo. However, I honestly could not say one is better than the other. Specs on paper are one thing and in real use it's yet another. Horses for courses as they say.

I would say rock solid top end twin dish twin tuner system is the Duo. It's not the cheapest by any stretch but it's by far the best bang for your buck you'll get if you're serious about satellite.

I love the Ultimo but in all honesty it's an indulgence for all but the hardcore enthusiast.

Title
    V.I.P Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ekkostar View Post
    For the same price you'll get a Duo, a HDD and quite probably a second dish fitted. If you can install a dish yourself (28.2E is not difficult) then you'll save even more.

A fortnight ago that was considered a premium set up. Not a lot has changed since then and won't for the considerable future. Ultimo or no Ultimo.

You're DM800 is still a perfectly capable machine

I have both the Ultimo and the Duo. However, I honestly could not say one is better than the other. Specs on paper are one thing and in real use it's yet another. Horses for courses as they say.

I would say rock solid top end twin dish twin tuner system is the Duo. It's not the cheapest by any stretch but it's by far the best bang for your buck you'll get if you're serious about satellite.

I love the Ultimo but in all honesty it's an indulgence for all but the hardcore enthusiast.
    I agree with almost everything stated here except the 800HD does not match any of the Vu range as far as speed and performance go.
    Vu Duo 4K - Vu + Solo4K - Vu + Uno4K - Vu+Uno - Vu+Ultimo4K - Vu+ Zero - Vu+Solo-SE (In Black Evo ) - PrismCube

Title
    Thanks
    If one order a box with pre-installed image and HDD, the only thing left to do would be to paste over personal config files and such.
    Is there a guide for what to transfer or is this something you could ask the reseller to do for an extra fee?

The reseller could basically have access to the current box through ftp and copy over what ever has to be copied over and ship the box afterwards? Or this might not be something resellers do?

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I know if you ask the sponsor he will fit the HDD and flash the image but not sure on the others.

Drop him a PM and see what he can do for you.

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Follow us on Twitter

ekkostar
    If one order a box with pre-installed image and HDD, the only thing left to do would be to paste over personal config files ?
    Pretty sure the sponsor will look after you and set the machine up image and HDD wise

The latter question about config files is a no, no .

As I said earlier, if you want machines of this calibre you will really need to learn what to do for yourself.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks guys for your help and guidance...
    I will most definitely read up on how to make the most out of the box and hopefully learn something on the way.

When you say sponsor... are we talking about "same-name-but.co.uk"? would make sense I guess, I'll send them an email.

Again, thanks

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Qpush

Yes - the sponsor is worldofsatellite and you won't go far wrong ordering from here. My Duo came from here and the service was great. My Ultimo came from elsewhere because I wanted it NOW!

Speaking of Ultimo - if you are hell bent and have money burning a hole then go for it. It is a fine machine. But (pardon the pun) I would echo what Ekko said. It doesn't add a whole lot more over what the Duo currently does than an extra tuner. The remote and display look $exy as hell but having used it, the remote is pretty disappointing and scrolling functionality and picons on the display are in their infancy.

For the money, you certainly won't go wrong with a duo - a VERY capable machine, and since the latest kernal upgrade it is very fast and pretty bomb proof.

So far as getting it set up, there are certain things that cannot be discussed on here but if for example you are looking to set up a subscription card for that receiver alone then my experience is that you will get all the help you need here.

Once you start using these boxes, it kind of becomes second nature and is all pretty straightforward.

Good luck whatever you decide to go with.

Mark

Title
    Thanks
    That settles it... I guess it makes sense.

I'll go for the duo and trick it out really nicely with a 2TB HDD, a shiny new dish and a killer LNB... all for less or the same price as the Ultimo.
    Thanks guys again for your honesty and explanation of things.

Will place my order with the UK sponsor although I live in Central Europe... nice to get a box pre-configured by people who know what they are doing instead of trying it myself

I guess you will be seeing more of me in the future!

Happy new Year

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    If you really want a triple tuner box the sponsor will be getting the latest version of the Sundek DVB S tuners some time in January and they work with VIX.

D I S C L A I M E R

Follow us on Twitter

Title
    Thanks
    I think it will be more then enough with a twin tuner... having a second dish installed will be an even bigger project then purchasing the box

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast