Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgrading to a vu+ (Ultimo)?

Title
    Thanks

Upgrading to a vu+ (Ultimo)?

Hi all,

I currently own a DM800 and have been thinking about exchanging it for a vu+ (ultimo).
    Thing is, except for wanting to exchange it (don't we all need change from time to time?) I really don't know what exactly I would gain by exchanging it for a vu+.

I have been using my current box for watching TV and the occasional use of a plugin (IMDB, YouTube etc) but other then that I don't think I have fully explored the capabilities of the box.

I have been thinking about the Ultimo mainly because it's the latest and greatest model but it might as well be more then I need.
    Comparing with a Uno, what are the main differences, things I can do with one but not the other?

Confused and thankful for replies,

Happy new year btw.

ekkostar
    Quote Originally Posted by qpush View Post
    I have been using my current box for watching TV and the occasional use of a plugin (IMDB, YouTube etc) but other then that I don't think I have fully explored the capabilities of the box.
    The Ultimo is an out and out enthusiasts machine.

I think you have to ask yourself how much of an 'enthusiast' you are to justify the additional cost. TBH if as you say you have not explored your DM800 to any great extent then you've answered your own question.

By the sounds of it the Ultimo is probably a bit of an overkill for you.

HTH

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    With the Ultimo you would be gaining a far more higher spec'd receiver. Faster CPU, more ram, twin tuner as standard and possibility to add a third tuner. Superb quality, superb picture quality, superb massive OLED front display. I wouldn't give mine up for the world
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies.

Am I correct in that the Uno is a single tuner and therefor will only record the same channel you are dialed into while with a twin tuner you can watch one channel and record another (alternative watch something recorded and record from two channels)?

Or is the amount of tuners only related to how many external devices (dish, cable) you can plug into the box?

Thanks
    Last edited by qpush; 01-01-12 at 15:02.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanks for your replies.

Am I correct in that the Uno is a single tuner and therefor will only record the same channel you are dialed into while with a twin tuner you can watch one channel and record another (alternative watch something recorded and record from two channels)?

Thanks
    Yes thats correct. The Uno is single tuner, you'll only be able to watch and record channels on the same satellite and transponder.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    Yes thats correct. The Uno is single tuner, you'll only be able to watch and record channels on the same satellite and transponder.
    Thanks... taking into account that I have a single motorized dish and therefore can only be at one satellite at the time... when you say "same satellite and transponder"... are you then saying that although all channels are on the same satellite the transponder might not be the same?

Or is it so that I must physically insert a second cable into the box (by splitting my one cable) to actually use the second tuner?

As you probably notice I dont have much technical knowledge.
    Last edited by qpush; 01-01-12 at 15:14.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Each tuner must have their own independent feed, you cannot split a satellite signal. Yes the channels are split over various transponders on each satellite. So to make best use of a twin or triple tuner receiver you would need to fit a twin or quad LNB or a fixed Dish for UK channels on one tuner, then motorised on another. Fixed Zone 1 & 2 dishes are very cheap from our sponsor http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/...d-Zone2-dishes

If you dont have the need of recording many channels, you wont go wrong with Uno.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian View Post
    Each tuner must have their own independent feed, you cannot split a satellite signal.
    No, but you can use the loop through that each tuner offers.
    Of course real independent feeds will obviously give you far more flexibility, but anyway using that the other tuners can be tuned to transponders in the same quadrant (same polarity and frequency band).
    Also you have the possibility to place a twin-LNB in the motorised dish and give tuner B a "second cable from motor", and tuner 3 a loopthrough from there. Although bound to the same satellite this will provide you more flexibility for minimal costs.
    Last edited by Rob van der Does; 01-01-12 at 15:27.

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

ekkostar
    Thanks... taking into account that I have a single motorized dish and therefore can only be at one satellite at the time... when you say "same satellite and transponder"... are you then saying that although all channels are on the same satellite the transponder might not be the same?

Or is it so that I must physically insert a second cable into the box (by splitting my one cable) to actually use the second tuner?

As you probably notice I dont have much technical knowledge.
    If you have one motorised dish, single lnb then you will be limited to

1. Same satellite
    2. Record one channel and watch or listen to another TV/Radio on the same transponder.

If you have one motorised dish with twin or quad lnb you can then have

1. Same satellite
    2. Record one channel and watch any TV/Radio on any transponder via Tuner 2 or 3 (if you add another)

A Transponder is effectively a Frequency, polarity, symbol rate and frequency error corrections. Within each transponder you will have a 'bouquet'. A bouquet being a selection of TV/radio channels being transmitted within that one single transponder.

This is what we mean that you can watch or listen to any other channel within that transponder if you are recording something else within the same bouquet.

If you have two or three satellite dishes (motorised) then the possibilities become further widespread.

But I have to come back to your original question as you sound a bit confused as to what it is you maybe trying to achieve.

The DM800 is HD and linux and it sounds you are considering changing for changes sake, perhaps ?

Upgrading to an Ultimo is going to cost £500+. It's a lot of money. If the features you have been using on the DM800 have been limited to simple plugins then I would say you really are heading into overkill.

However, if you really must, then the Uno or Duo would also make eminent sense. Personally if you have no need for pluggable tuners or moving into DVB T/C then I would recommend the Duo.

All the VU machines are superb.
    Last edited by ekkostar; 01-01-12 at 15:59.

Title
    Thanks
    Ohh... so I actually would have to modify my current set-up to be able to take advantage of a twin tuner... if not, I would be just as fine with the Uno (except for not having quite the same hardware specs)?

In case of keeping my motorized single LNB dish AND adding a second dish pointing towards my favorite satellite, I suppose the box will know how to separate between the two dishes and not move the motorized dish towards the same satellite the fixed dish is dialed into (unless its specifically instructed to)?

The more I learn, the more questions I have

Thanks guys

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Correct, the box is quite capable of correct handling more then just one dish (if the tuner setup is correct).

That's quite normal, quite human in fact: the more you know, the more you know what you don't know!
    And it's also good to ask the questions before buying a box.......
    Last edited by Rob van der Does; 01-01-12 at 16:02.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ekkostar View Post
    The DM800 is HD and linux and it sounds you are considering changing for changes sake, perhaps ?
    Absolutely!

I wish the DM800 was faster changing between channels and I understand the newer vu+ boxes will do just that.
    I'm not a fan of the looks of the 800 but do like the size.

I would VERY MUCH like to set up a second dish pointing in my wife's satellite's direction + keep my motorized dish "for me".
    That way I could record anything she would want to see while I watch my stuff live

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    That way I could record anything she would want to see while I watch my stuff live
    Here the household policy is to record everything one might possibly want to see. That way viewing conflicts can be sorted out before hand, and more importantly: all programs can be watched at a convenient time, not at the time your channel wants you to view them, and without any breaks.

ekkostar
    Ohh... so I actually would have to modify my current set-up to be able to take advantage of a twin tuner... if not, I would be just as fine with the Uno (except for not having quite the same hardware specs)?

In case of keeping my motorized single LNB dish AND adding a second dish pointing towards my favorite satellite, I suppose the box will know how to separate between the two dishes and not move the motorized dish towards the same satellite the fixed dish is dialed into (unless its specifically instructed to)?

Thanks guys
    For the sake of repeating myself. I think you have to ask what you are trying to achieve here.

1. Requirement
    2. Flexibility
    3. Budget

The order of those three will depend on what you are seeking and how much you are prepared to try achieve it.

The cheapest upgrade for you assuming you go to a twin tuner machine will be a Twin Lnb.

Next up will be a second fixed dish, then next up second motorised dish etc etc.

As an example with a VU twin tuner machine you can assign Tuner A to your motorised dish and the Tuner B to say a fixed dish at 28.2E.

In this instance when you switch to 28.2E the machine will automatically direct throughput from Tuner B. Anything else will go via Tuner A and the motorised set up.

Everything comes at a cost and as I say you have to revert back to the 3 points I have made above as to what it is you are ultimately trying to achieve.

ekkostar
    Absolutely!

I wish the DM800 was faster changing between channels and I understand the newer vu+ boxes will do just that.
    I'm not a fan of the looks of the 800 but do like the size.

I would VERY MUCH like to set up a second dish pointing in my wife's satellite's direction + keep my motorized dish "for me".
    All the VU machines are a lot larger than the DM800.

Solo/Uno being the smallest. The Duo and Ultimo commanding full rack space.

If you are prepared to set up a second dish and from your requirement then perhaps a twin tuner machine is what you require.

Personally I would head towards a Duo, or an Xtrend/Clarke. Not only will you get a hugely flexible machine but you will get an additional dish set up all for well under the price of an Ultimo alone.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast