Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard Disc Initialise

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by filmman View Post
    Yes Sicilian the paths are correct for default movie, instant record etc (/media/usb/movie/) but the path for Timeshift is set at /media/hdd/ which I assume is the internal flash, is this the correct path as it cannot be changed. When I press yellow on remote I get Timeshift not possible - annoying fault.

Regards
    filmman
    I'll check mine tonight and report back.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

filmman (14-07-10)

Title
    On Holiday
    Thanks
    I have the solo with the latest vti image on it I have tried 6 different sata discs with no final solution. I will try the final 4.9 original firmware then back to the vti image.

Title
    Thanks
    Yes DATA I have tried three drives today - formatted in FAT32 and EXT3 but no good so must be something to do with VTI. There must be only a few of us SOLO pioneers at the moment hence the fewer responses I suppose or most are using the original image and are happy with that. Like the box though now I am getting used to it and what it can do and, hopefully, will do further into the future.

Regards,
    filmman.

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    I'll defo test this out on mine over this weekend. Been a bit busy last couple of days. I'm almost sure that when I tested recording to USB that I changed my paths for timeshift too, but cant be 100% till I test again.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

filmman (16-07-10)

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Tested this over the weekend.

I re-flashed fresh with the Solo VTI image.

First I mounted and formated EXT2 a 16GB usb stick as follows: -

Telnet and execute the following commands: -

Code:
    ls /dev/sd*
    Check if your stick is recognized as
    /dev/sda
    or
    /dev/sda1

if your stick is detected only as /Dev/sda it won't work. It must be /dev/sda1

Now unmount the stick: -

Code:
    umount /dev/sda1
    Now format ext2

Code:
    mkfs.ext2 /dev/sda1
    Now re-mount as /media/usb

Code:
    mount /dev/sda1 /media/usb
    Now create a movie folder

Code:
    mkdir /media/usb/movie
    Reboot Solo
    Code:
    reboot
    Once rebooted telnet again and check

Code:
    ls /media/usb
    If the folders movie and lost+found are shown. If so, everything should work as it should.

Now Press Menu on remote and change recording and timeshift paths to /media/usb/movie. Press Menu button on remote to switch between filelist and bookmarks. To select /media/usb/movie as a bookmark navigate it and highlight the location then press blue button to add bookmark.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

spec119 (29-07-10)

Title
    Thanks
    Sicilian, many thanks for all your hard work and all is working fine now with my hard drive connected to the Solo. Perhaps this info could be a sticky? Anyway thank you again and very much appreciated.
    Regards,
    filmman.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to filmman For This Useful Post:

Sicilian (19-07-10)

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I have had major problems getting a Toshiba 250 gig hdd to work and even after trying the formatting as explained in this thread

(1) the Solo wont boot with the hdd inserted

(2) when you go to hdd initialize all seems OK try a short recording 5 mins and the message is HDD full

Then you get the green crashlog screen not just on this occasion but will keep crashing without reason and you have to flah the box again I suppose it could be the Solo dosent like my Toshiba drive?

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spec119 View Post
    I have had major problems getting a Toshiba 250 gig hdd to work and even after trying the formatting as explained in this thread

(1) the Solo wont boot with the hdd inserted

(2) when you go to hdd initialize all seems OK try a short recording 5 mins and the message is HDD full

Then you get the green crashlog screen not just on this occasion but will keep crashing without reason and you have to flah the box again I suppose it could be the Solo dosent like my Toshiba drive?
    Have you flashed latest image to it and replaced the drivers?

Is the HDD self powered?

Try deleting all partitions on the HDD and creating a primary partition formatted NTSC (as windows) It should be detected and may not actually need initializing.

When you try to boot it do you get anything on the TV screen i.e. an egg timer?

Do you have another USB HDD or large USB stick you could try?

Once this is booting you might need to change the recording paths.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sicilian For This Useful Post:

Tepes4 (14-08-10)

Title
    Thanks

Still not working... :-(

Hello,

I have followed your instructions and although i can get the recordings to work but timeshift does not work.

Any ideas?

Thank you...

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tepes4 View Post
    Hello,

I have followed your instructions and although i can get the recordings to work but timeshift does not work.

Any ideas?

Thank you...
    Press Menu >

Setup > System > Recording Paths > Make sure the path for timeshift is to your usb stick/hdd.
    D I S C L A I M E R

Rules can be found
    HERE
    HERE

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12