Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the Solo receive USB Tuner support?

Title
    Thanks

Will the Solo receive USB Tuner support?

I believe the Solo has two USB ports, front and back. Would it be possible to have an external HDD on one and a USB Tuner on the other? Is this just a software issue (ie, firmware not supporting it at the moment) or is there a hardware reason this won't work?

I think I will definitely be purchasing Vu+ box, I am just trying to get the best bang for the buck

Thanks for reading my post

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    USB Tuner depends if its supported by Dream Elite and if VU+ provide virtual tuner functionality for the Solo. So at the moment I'd have to say there are no actual plans for this, but it might happen in the future.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    Thanks for the post Sicilian. I am slightly worried about recording and watching on a USB Tuner at the same time, whether the box will be powerful enough?

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,054 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkletoes View Post
    Thanks for the post Sicilian. I am slightly worried about recording and watching on a USB Tuner at the same time, whether the box will be powerful enough?
    Sorry I cant answer that and no one will be able to answer that until/if usb tuner support is added.

At the moment there is not any usb tuner support in any image.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    I would imagine that it's powerful enough though, since the dm800 can support it, and that has a less powerful processor.

So, I'd say it's best to hold fire like Sic says, but if de are able to start working on it, it's likely that it'll get usb tuner support (but not definate).

To be honest though, bang for buck, I'd say you're best off getting a vu duo Unless the price of the solo comes to £250 or less...

Title
    On Holiday
    Thanks
    Everyone keeps mentioning the price of the SOLO should be £250ish, can I ask why, what other receiver are we comparing it to?

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Compare it to the dm500hd. Differences to me, seem to be that the dm500hd has an e-sata whereas the vu+ solo has usb. The dm500hd has a better chip (iirc, although I could be wrong?!). For me, I would much rather had an e-sata and be able to connect a hard drive properly to the system, rather than relying on a usb hdd to record.

Since the dm500hd can be had for just over £300 (and less if imported), then the dm500hd seems to be better value for money, since dream are known at overpricing things. The vu+ solo is only £100 cheaper than the duo. The duo is roughly the same price as a dm800, and half price of dm800. For what you get in a vu+ duo, it is much better value for money than the vu+ solo is...

Title
    On Holiday
    Thanks
    So therefore the VU+ DUO is under priced, not the SOLO over priced?

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    That's one way to look at it, but if I were to buy a box for single tuner out of a dm500hd and vu+ solo, I would choose the dm... If, the price was lower, then I would more likely go for the solo... They would shift twice as much I reckon if they just cut the price down a little...

Title
    On Holiday
    Thanks
    All personal choice, I have both the DM500HD and the SOLO and I would choose the SOLO, and this is not a sales thing for others reading, we sell both.... Personally I think they have the pricing just right, it's cheaper than a DM500HD by £20 from all UK stores, it's better made and more importantly it works, but it also emphasises what a great price the DUO is.

Title
    Thanks
    Does the DM500 support currently or have any indication that in the future it will support a USB Tuner/is capable of supporting a USB Tuner? Doesn't it only have a mini USB plug?

Thanks for the all the posts, I want to spend about £300 or less, but obviously I want the best for the money and CCCAM server capability.

Title
    On Holiday
    Thanks
    Yes DM500HD is mini USB only so chances of the USB tuner support are unlikely (although suppose not impossible), mind you we don't really know if the SOLO will support it either, but there is more chance it will....

Title
    Thanks
    I guess the only other option is a DM800HD but they appear to be closer to the DUO price for a genuine unit. I don't like the idea of a clone although more through ignorance than anything else, I don't know much about them. Single Tuner + USB Tuner and HDD recording capability, is a DM800HD clone a viable option?

Title
    On Holiday
    Thanks
    My advice is avoid a clone at all costs, always been problems with the tuners, really not worth the hassle, we'd never sell them ourselves but I have had one to play with and like a lot of them the tuner went faulty... The genuine DM800 are actually discountinued, they'll be replaced with the DM800-SE sometime this year (probably), I suppose the one advantage they do have is the plug-and-play tuner, so you could add a DVB-T tuner if you liked, but it's only one or the other tuner, not both at once.... I'd go for the SOLO I think out of the DM500HD, DM800 and SOLO, I base this on support we receive as re-sellers, build quality of the product and features, but honestly I'd try and save the extra £100 up for the DUO, I think everyones agreed for the money this is by far the best buy of them all.

Title
    Thanks
    The SOLO is overpriced no doubt, £199 would be a fair price.

The DUO is a bit overpriced and would need to sell at £349 instead.

Considering what both cost to buy from distributor directly there is a pretty high margin the retailer have here, even at £349 for the DUO the retailers would make a good margin.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast