Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: "In order to record a timer, the tv was switch to the recording service"

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks

"In order to record a timer, the tv was switch to the recording service"

All,

Anyone having this error in the Title.
    Ive had 3-4 of them in the last 2 weeks requiring a reboot.

This is a post I made on another site if it helps explain.
    Im on vix 2.2.1 with no available updates.

Ive been searching the web on this very issue. Ive seen it 3-4 times in the last 2 weeks. Had it last night too. Had to do a full restart on the box to get it back to work. I dont know whats causing it though but its bloody annoying. I have also seen the EPG go as well when rebooting on this issue. Also the EPG failing to download, this I traced down to the usb key where the epg is was going to RO instead of RW. I also read on another site that the "In order to record a timer" issue might be something to do with folder permissions. If so something in VIX or PLi is throwing a wobbler on permissions. Nothing appearing though on VIX Site on it.

D

Quote:
    Originally Posted by xxxxxx
    Lads - I'm using the latest version of Vix - like everyone here I love it....

One issue though with recording - the odd time when I've a timer set up I get

"In order to record a timer, the tv was switch to the recording service" .

Looks like it's not picking up the HDD though I can play recorded files. (I've a samsung F2 1.5TB drive)

Only way or resolving is a cold boot which then results in loosing the epg (till the daily update)

Any ideas?

Title
    Thanks
    That's not an error (technically), it's an informative message.
    This happens when one tuner is busy with a recording, when another timer activates, but the service to be recorded is on a transponder (or polarisation) different from both the one already being and the one for the current TV display. There is a setting that gives recordings priority, so the box reassigns the tuner being used for the display to handle the recording that is due.

In more complex set ups (especially if they are misconfigured), it may be possible that only the tuner being used for the TV could ever be used for a timed recording, so you could get the same message then.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xarqi For This Useful Post:

Rob van der Does (08-09-11)

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,461 Times in 6,675 Posts
    Very good explanation xarqi!

Help asked via PM will be ignored.
    The forum is there for help and all will benefit from your questions.
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN, IN OPEN FORUM OR PM !

English is not my native tongue.
    I apologise for all my grammar, spelling and idiom errors.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies guys.
    When this happens there is nothing being recorded.
    I have 28.2e on both tuners and DTT USB and cant record off anything when its this way.
    I can switch to any channel on any transponder and watch that channel no problem but cant record.
    It does say that there is a recording started or due to start when I go to restart the box so maybe the timer part of VIX is confused about the availability of tuners.
    But other than timeshift there is nothing being recorded.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Hmmm, that complicates things....
    In this respect timeshift doesn't count. Did you change your tunersettings after making timers?

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    When restarting the box, it takes in to account things such as auto timer checks, soft cam checks, etc. The box treats these checks as timers, so when a soft cam check is taking place, or an auto timer check is taking place, then the box warns you before shutting down...

However, this does not affect recordings. Are you sure you have tuner b setup correctly?!
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    Thanks
    If there is nothing being recorded, and you are getting this message when a timer for a scheduled recording falls due, I can only think that it must be that you are effectively using only a single tuner, and that what you are trying to record is on a different tp/pol from what you are watching.

I just can't join the dots in my mind to figure out why only one tuner is available.

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by xarqi View Post
    If there is nothing being recorded, and you are getting this message when a timer for a scheduled recording falls due, I can only think that it must be that you are effectively using only a single tuner, and that what you are trying to record is on a different tp/pol from what you are watching.

I just can't join the dots in my mind to figure out why only one tuner is available.
    Looks like it indeed. Must be easy to use the build in satfinder for both tuners on all satellites to rule that out.

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanks guys but as I mentioned above I cant record even the channel I was watching which has a tuner available.

Also when there is no tuner available for recording the channels would go grey in the channel list unless its the same transponder, but for me all the channels are white in the list meaning they are available.

When I reboot I can record 4-5 channels.

Its intermittent so I can live with it.

Anyone know if these guys found a solution.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/ar...p/t-6831.html?

Andy is there any log file associated to the timer that I can check. Especially as there is no recording showing on the timer screen or the red REC icon on the info bar isnt on.
    Last edited by dfdream; 09-09-11 at 09:01.

Title
    Junior Admin
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,599 Times in 2,632 Posts
    You could post the log which is in /home/root/ (if you have enabled logging) to see if it can shed any more loght.
    Last edited by pooface; 09-09-11 at 09:56. Reason: corrected path

Support The Sponsor - Buy from the best HERE
    Please abide by the rules - have a read HERE
    VIX manual & guides >>HERE
    Download images from >> HERE
    New Box Setup Guide >>HERE

D I S C L A I M E R
    My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE

Follow us on Twitter

NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ?

Title
    Thanks
    I receive this message fairly frequent when using an external usb connected hard dirve.
    playing back files from the hard disk did not stop the message occurring.

I found the message is displayed when attempting to record six or more minutes after i
    started the system. The only way to bypass it was to start a recording as soon as
    the system started.

I think the message is caused by activation of the hard disk time out perameter.
    regards
    peter

operating system vix 2.0