Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Underground Coax cable run help.

Title
    Thanks

Question Underground Coax cable run help.

Hi,

I am looking to run some coax underground that will eventually feed to my garage to I can install a motorised dish. I will be digging up a strip of my turf so I can lay the coax under there.

Is there any suitable trunking/conduit I can use so it is shielded from frost and damp that people have used form past experience? I was thinking some sort of coiled barrier pipe.

Thanks

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    I just buried it under the ground put the spade in lifted the turf a little and tucked it under about 3 or 4 inches, just moved down the garden doing that. I was going to thread it through an old hosepipe but in the end I just went for it and it's been in there a few years now with no loss signal through 2 pretty serious winters. You can over think these things plastic takes years and years to degrade so as long as there are no nicks in it and it's a continuous length I don't see the problem in doing it that way.
    Triax TD110 1.1m Solid Satellite Dish, Inverto black ultra
    Moteck SG2100 Motor
    VU+ Uno

Fortec Star 90cm dish, Inverto black ultra
    Technomate 2600 super motor
    Gigablue UE

3. The Following User Says Thank You to portbhoy For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,385 Times in 2,257 Posts
    I eouls suggest using the 15mm White round trunking that's used for live electrics so it should be fine for coaxial. Once I get my dish installed I'm planning to use the same

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    PM HELP WILL BE IGNORED PLEASE POST HERE IN FORUM AS IT BENEFITS EVERYONE
    NO CARD SHARING TALK WILL BE TOLERATED, LAN OR WAN! IN OPEN FORUM OR PM

IF THE POSTS HELP PLEASE CLICK THANKS OR ADD TO REP ↓

5. The Following User Says Thank You to silverfox0786 For This Useful Post:

Title
    V.I.P - R.I.P - Will never be forgotten...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 810 Posts
    there is a coax cable that is self repairing, ( it has a mastic type fluid inside, that protects the braiding ) I expect our sponcer will be able to offer help on this,
    also as stated the cable will last years with out any further protection
    Units; VU+Ultimo/duo/DM800/7020HD/tm9100
    1.2 channel master/quad feedhorn/36volt /vbox
    1 fixed dish, and 1 motorized 1mtr dish
    and a pile of redundant cards/cams

7. The Following User Says Thank You to basilyoung For This Useful Post:

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    The last time I ran any cable underground I used the blue pipe that the water board use.
    As seen here.
    Code:
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/mdpe-blue-pipe-20mm-x-50m/83620
    VU Solo 2 With Latest VIX Image
    Three Eagle Linux Boxes
    1 Metre Gibertini Motorised Dish
    Superior DarkMotor
    Inverto Black Ultra Twin LNB

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lammy1961 For This Useful Post:

Title
    Thanks
    Thank you all for the replies. Much appreciated.

I think I am going to go for some MDPE Water pipe as posted by lammy1961. Seems to be best use for the long term.

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    just got my mdpe pipe today. excellent bit of tubing to protect coax under the ground. Couldn't recommend it anymore, really lightweight and very strong.

Now the troubles of waking up tommorow morning and digging a channel and lifting a few slabs

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Make sure u but it at least 6" underground as frost can penetrate to that.
    Then you won't have any problems.

Title
    Thanks
    I have Sat cable exposed for over 25 years without problems. If it is good cable, the only thing you have to worry about is putting a spade through it.

Alias1
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    I have Sat cable exposed for over 25 years without problems. If it is good cable, the only thing you have to worry about is putting a spade through it.
    Well that is not the correct way to do it, having been a master cabler since 2001 I would recommend against this.
    But seeing as its your own property you can basically do it how you like

Title
    On Holiday
    Thanks
    I do not think the water company will be best pleased if you don't inform them of the blue acerthean piping in your garden. that is the reason it is blue for water green for virgin media yellow for gas etc. you could have just tapped up your local virgin installer for there under ground cable far better than any sat cable out there.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias1 View Post
    Well that is not the correct way to do it, having been a master cabler since 2001 I would recommend against this.
    But seeing as its your own property you can basically do it how you like
    Your are having laugh, Sat cable is exposed on every sat installition when it is connected to the LNB, how many are damaged by frost?

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    Your are having laugh, Sat cable is exposed on every sat installition when it is connected to the LNB, how many are damaged by frost?
    there is a vast difference between a length of coax pinned to the side of a building and that of a length of coax on or just under the ground.
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pheonix View Post
    there is a vast difference between a length of coax pinned to the side of a building and that of a length of coax on or just under the ground.
    Well I have 30 meters on a pergola exposed, without problems, for about 30 years, and I have seen the cable companies puting the cable to houses in less than 12" depth of soil without protection. In normal soil there should be no problems. Perhaps you can explain why lengths longer than say 3 meters will be a problem with the weather, in Britain.

Title
    Thanks
    Webro make drop cable specifically for burying, if your going to use water pipe make sure both ends are sealed well and ensure you don't damage the coax outer sheath as it will suck up water (capillary action). That's why cable companies use self sealing drop cable.