Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: News Corp: We won’t bid again for Sky

Title
    V.I.P
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,935 Times in 12,378 Posts

News Corp: We won’t bid again for Sky

News Corporation took a 22 per cent hit to its quarter profits on the losses caused by the sale of MySpace. The effect of the closure of the News of the World won’t be seen until the next reporting period but, as today’s numbers make clear, newspapers don’t make a significant contribution to the whole.

It also signalled a change of investment strategy, forswearing the multibillion-dollar acquisitions of the past that have made its investors nervous and saying it would instead focus on returning cash to investors through share buy-backs and dividends.

It said it would begin a previously announced $5 billion buy-back programme next week, and that it hoped to complete that plan within 12 months. It was going ahead with a more aggressive buy-back plan because it was no longer saving cash for the $12 billion acquisition of the 61 per cent of British Sky Broadcasting it does not already own,

David DeVoe, News Corp chief financial officer, said the company had no plans to try to bid for BSkyB again. “We’re not stockpiling,” he said.

On the other big question of the day the answer was emphatic: “The board and I believe I should continue in my current role as chairman and CEO,” said Rupert Murdoch. “Make no mistake, Chase Carey (COO) and I run this company as a team, and the strength of that partnership is reflected in our improved results,” he said.

Overall News Corporation revenues rose 11 per cent to $9 billion on the quarter to June 30.

The main strengths were in the recovering US TV advertising revenue set against MySpace and declining DVD sales for Fox Studios.

Code:
     http://www.advanced-television.com/index.php/2011/08/11/news-corp-we-wont-bid-again-for-sky/
    My posts contain my own personal thoughts and opinions, they do not represent those of any organisation or group but my own.

If you don't like what I post, Don't read it.

SIMPLES.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Larry-G For This Useful Post:

bassethound (11-08-11)

digidude
    smoke and mirrors

the global markets are taking a battering, shareholders will want to sell while prices are still 'decent' so they will buy them back, giving themselfs more power within their own marketplaces. global prices on everything thats not gold is going to fall, so sooner or later, bskyb share prices will be a lot lower than they are now, newscorp will then use their extra power to offer more than whatever the value of shares is, and bskyb will have no option other than to accept, saving newscorp around 3-5 billion in the process

come back to this thread in about 4 years time and see how right i was