Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Vix 5.1.006. Time wrong

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abu baniaz View Post
    The concerning thing for me is that this did not work for me yesterday at 16:20 ish,. Stopping enigma2 and tehn running those commands also did not work. So it can't be the Enigma2 cpp code.

Code:
    root@vusolo4k:~# ntpdate -s -u pool.ntp.org
    The -s option makes ntpdate send its output to syslog, so there would have been something in the /var/log/messages file indicating the result of the command.
    If you want to see the report on your terminal, omit the -s option.
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

2. The Following User Says Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (29-12-17)

Title
    Thanks
    One thing that seems to be missing here is any discussion about how the time should be set. There are options within enigma2 (at least the OpenVix one) about synchronizing using the transponder or NTP (let's ignore, for the moment how or whether these work).
    But there is also a one-off shot to run NTP when a network interface is brought up and also a cron job in place to run hourly at xx:30 (which will do nothing, as cron doesn't run by default). Even that one-off attempt runs differently according to whether you have a static or DHCP interface - for the static case it will set the time, whereas for a DHCP interface it will try to slew the clock towards the correct value (which might explain why Abu is seeing the wrong time set...).

So surely what is actually needed is an agreement/discussion as to what should be setting the clock, how and when and work towards that, rather then just making a fix to what is currently there and ending up with another issue later down the line.

I reckon the system, not an application, should be setting the time. But I can't see how the system could get a time from the transponder...
    MiracleBox Prem Twin HD - 2@DVB-T2 + Xtrend et8000 - 5(incl. 2 different USBs)@DVB-T2[terrestrial - UK Freeview HD, Sandy Heath] - LAN/USB-stick/HDD

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to birdman For This Useful Post:

ccs (29-12-17),samsid (29-12-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,160 Times in 6,235 Posts
    A discussion can only be had when people do not dismiss reports of problems as bovine excreta.

I am rather annoyed that someone has broken something that used to work and shows no intention of addressing the damage caused. Discussing this on PLI is semi-awkward because they don't have the commits we have had forced on us.

I spent close to four days tracking the commit that broke recordings on the Solo 4K. Then as soon as we traced it some lovely fellow messes it all up. I am scared to reboot/restart the receiver now because the time may get messed up, epg get messed up and miss recordings.

It well and truly annoying.

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,895 Times in 2,248 Posts
    I agree with you.
    Even though I changed to ntp after my dead clocks situation, I have still seen some strange situations, even though for most of the time it now appears to be accurate.
    ... but most people will be on transponder time, which I still think could be an issue.

I don‘t think we will know if there is still an issue or not until people are running on the next ViX release build.

I still believe it should have been installed first on nextP3 and then 4.2 and eventually on 4.1., but that has been disputed as not sufficient for proving the change.

Hopefully by the time I get back from my New Year experience (no internet and probably no phone access), everything will have stabilised...... my New Year hope!
    Last edited by twol; 29-12-17 at 22:51.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Just flashed 5.1 007 Release on an MB Micro premium to test the keyboard fixes. Looks like it is keen to welcome the new year.

Of course the network is up. Otherwise I couldn't get a screenshot.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    Even that one-off attempt runs differently according to whether you have a static or DHCP interface - for the static case it will set the time, whereas for a DHCP interface it will try to slew the clock towards the correct value (which might explain why Abu is seeing the wrong time set...).
    I will change that to always adjust the time at once on ifup.
    As that will usually be during boot, that's the perfect time for bigger jumps.
    During normal operation, large jumps could be problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by birdman View Post
    I reckon the system, not an application, should be setting the time. But I can't see how the system could get a time from the transponder...
    That would probably be possible through existing DVB tools, but it would probably also be vety time consuming.

I don't think that waste of boot time is really necessary, as an E2 box always boots into the GUI and the GUI can already do that.
    The approximate time (continued from build time or last reboot/shutdown) is good enough for the period that it gets used (until NTP one shot or initial DVB sync).

Gesendet von meinem SM-N910F mit Tapatalk
    Receiver/TV:
    • Vu+ Duo² 4*S2+2*C / 1.8TB HDD / OpenATV 6.1@Samsung 50" Plasma
    • AX Quadbox 2400 / 2*S2/2*C / 930GB HDD / OpenATV 6.1@Samsung 32" LCD
    • Vu+ Solo² / 465GB HDD / OpenATV 6.1
    • Vu+ Solo² / 230GB HDD / OpenATV 6.1
    • DVBSky S2-Twin-Tuner PCIe@Samsung SyncMaster T240HD (PC)
    Pay TV: Redlight Mega, Brazzers TV Europe, XXL, HD-, Sky
    Internet: Unitymedia 1play 100 / Cisco EPC3212 + Linksys WRT1900ACS + Fritz!Box 7390 / IPv4 (UM) + IPv6 (HE)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpaceRat For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (29-12-17),bbbuk (29-12-17)

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    @Abu, any chance you could get lottery results as you're in the future haha.

If I may offer my opinion...

@SpaceRat previously brought up something that shouldn't get overlooked and that is that although those in UK maybe ok with transponder syncing (and time as accurate as can be), there are those where transponder info may not be accurate at all (ie down under). Basically, it's would be unfair to fixate on sorting just one method for syncing, when it appears neither appear to be working as, at least, I would expect.

For example, I was surprised to find out that transponder syncing really only checks if current box time is different from transponder time but doesn't actually appear to try and fix the issue by updating time if it is out by 2mins or more.

Also, why have a regular time period setup for time syncing when @Birdman states the cron daemon isn't running. Doesn't this make the regular time sync useless?

The main problem I can see is getting the so-called time syncs (by both transponder and NTP) working and confirmed as such. Then start looking at how best to implement this to keep as accurate time as possible depending on circumstances and, ideally, it be an option where user can choose their preferred method of syncing time - Transponder, NTP or both (little similar to options now in menus).

Now I don't know how much of this is possible but if it's possible to read the "settings" file at bootup to determine preferred method of time syncing then in my head anyhow the following could be done (forgive me as I don't have knowledge you guys have so i'm probably way off on this lol)....

1. Due to unreliable RTC issue that I've read in this thread, initially set date/time as mentioned and recorded when box closed down. From what I understand it does this now to a degree anyhow.
    2. Regardless of above, try as a one-off and sync time via NTP and if unsuccessful then try via transponder info. Would need to know somehow whether NTP was successful or not (like if possible the return code of the command to determine if successfully ran - if accurate) or another method like checking date/time before and performing syncing and check date/time afterwards and ideally most of the time if NTP was successful then date/time would differ between the "before" and "after" (and not just by a few seconds it would need to execute the NTP sync).
    3. Then at some semi regular intervals or at certain trigger actions, sync would happen as per users' preferred method based on their circumstances. This could be set intervals for NTP or if transponder then maybe during a channel change

Again forgive me if some or none of this is really possible due to potentially more issues arising or limitations to E2, etc

UPDATE: By time I took to write all this, @SpaceRat pretty much answered most of this haha
    Last edited by bbbuk; 29-12-17 at 23:59.

Title
    Thanks
    The pre-start script got the date for us from the internet, until now. Apparently we should be ashamed of that. (We added it because debug logs always had the epoch date. As most of us use 28.2, the date has always been correct for us.)

The reason E2 does not adjust the time if greater than two minutes is because some transponders have wrong times.

Users can select to sync time either with NTP or Transponder. If they have transponder issues, they can select NTP. Surely the two minute restriction should not affect NTP sync. (Please remember, I am not a coder.)

To me, a wrong date/time is a wrong date and time. Just because some services don't run unless the date is within a specific time range, that does not means we should force a wrong date/time and be unable to correct it.

PLI do not have an option to set/select time sync method. You have to install a plugin.

Hopefully the change that SpaceRat will make will bring it back to how it was. Side effects do happen. He is right, the operating system should have the correct time. Enigma2 is just a program.

Title
    Thanks
    The pre-start script got the date for us from the internet, until now.
    It still does, btw.

Apparently we should be ashamed of that.
    That wasn't referring to the sync as it, but to the fact that is just a workaround for something that is and always has been implemented in yocto, but just wasn't working.
    The final target should always be to get the core OS (yocto/OpenEmbedded) working for all, rather than implementing workarounds in distro specific repos so that every team has to re-invent the wheel.

We added it because debug logs always had the epoch date. As most of us use 28.2, the date has always been correct for us.
    Forget about 28.2, especially when you are really talking about NTP (= Internet Time).

We are in the very same situation: Astra 19.2°E delivers sane times, but we suffer from E2 not really syncing to it, due to code for other sats.
    That wasn't introduced by latest changes, that has always been the case, I just noticed it when looking for the reason why the time suddenly was totally off, just because it was approximated at boot.

To me, a wrong date/time is a wrong date and time. Just because some services don't run unless the date is within a specific time range, that does not means we should force a wrong date/time and be unable to correct it.
    You are confusing hen and egg here. The E2 code contained silly workarounds (which honestly I simply didn't expect).
    Then, instead of fixing the E2 code, yocto was broken or not fixed in order to keep the crappy workaround working.

Approx time and NTP sync have always been inside yocto, they have either been patched out (approx time) or kept broken (NTP one shot).

Hopefully the change that SpaceRat will make will bring it back to how it was.
    It already is. Birdman is probably right assuming that slewing the time towards real time is simply too slow. I will make the one shot NTP adjust the time instantly.

BTW: Another bug in E2 was encountered in the process. E2 doesn't let tuners sleep before the first DVB sync, which will never happen if NTP sync is selected.

To test: Set time sync to NTP, restart box, send it to standby. In OWIF you can see that one tuner remains powered, if you use a softcam you can see it still working too if the last station was encrypted.
    Previously a GUI restart "fixed" this, because E2 considered the now set time as good and as good as a first sync.
    E2 lacked code in dvbtime.cpp not to wait for a transponder sync if NTP is chosen.
    See my latest two commits in OpenATVfor a better workaround. It's still just a workaround (If NTP sync is selected and time appears good, consider the first DVB sync as done), but a better one as before (No restart required before sending box to standby).
    The real solution would be NetworkTime.py telling dvbtime.cpp that a successful NTP sync was done. I'll compare NetworkTime and the PLi plugin if they have a better solution.

Side effects do happen. He is right, the operating system should have the correct time. Enigma2 is just a program.
    Exactly.
    On the other hand E2 should always be able to configure the OS, as sending the average user to shell isn't really a permanent solution.

Receiver/TV:
    Internet: Unitymedia 1play 100 / Cisco EPC3212 + Linksys WRT1900ACS + Fritz!Box 7390 / IPv4 (UM) + IPv6 (HE)

Title
    Thanks
    PS: Latest posts in the OpenPLi thread might indicate another possible problem.
    I mean the ones concerning oscam and its time fix.

Receiver/TV:

Title
    Thanks
    That two minute restriction should only apply if config is set to use Transponder. If it is possible, we will need to change our config entries

PLI use NTP (system time)
    config.misc.useTransponderTime=false

OpenVix use NTP
    config.misc.SyncTimeUsing=1

OpenATV use NTP
    config.misc.SyncTimeUsing=1

Title
    Thanks
    It still does, btw.
    Lets agree to disagree on this.

Title
    Thanks
    That two minute restriction should only apply if config is set to use Transponder.
    It does.
    The only thing that dvbtime.cpp knows about NTP is: Nothing.

It only implements a setting to disable DVB sync, but it will only accept true if the time looks sane (>2004).
    This in turn is what NetworkTime.py sets after its first sync, so this is the only point where DVB and NTP sync REMOTELY get in touch with each other.

NTP is simply done by calling ntpdate (or ntpdate-sync in OpenATV, which is a bad idea), no correlation with the 120 sec limit in DVBTime.cpp.

Receiver/TV:

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SpaceRat For This Useful Post:

abu baniaz (30-12-17)

Title
    Thanks
    Lets agree to disagree on this.
    Lets agree on agreeing that I'm right about my/E2 changes.
    As others reported, the bad time is gone for them ... just as it was on OpenATV where the same problem was reported and the fix is in since ~7 days.

There must be other factors messing up your affected box (e.g. NTP failing, oscams clock fix, NTP only slewing rather than doing a direct time adjustment).
    As I said, I will make the one shot NTP at boot do a full direct time adjustment, that excludes one possible reason.

I will also look into oscams code to check what parasol mentioned. If he's right, we might be in deep shit.

Receiver/TV:

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceRat View Post
    I will change that to always adjust the time at once on ifup.
    As that will usually be during boot, that's the perfect time for bigger jumps.
    During normal operation, large jumps could be problematic.
    If you've set it at boot time and later take an interface down/up it's likely your clock will be in time anyway.

There's another weird(?) issue with the time setting scripts.

ntpdate-sync will (by default on OpenVix at least) try to set the front-panel hardware clock on the box when it runs. It does this by running the script /sbin/stb-hwclock. This script has the interesting feature that if you use it to read the FP clock and that clock is ahead of the system time it will set the system time to the FP clock time, which strikes me as an unusual thing to do.
    Not that it affects the setting code path, but things liek that make me wonder about the logic of how everything was set-up and what sort of things depend, without stating so, on other things.

That would probably be possible through existing DVB tools, but it would probably also be vety time consuming.
    That's what I suspected.

The approximate time (continued from build time or last reboot/shutdown) is good enough for the period that it gets used (until NTP one shot or initial DVB sync).
    Probably. Except that this is not what Abu is seeing. So we need to concentrate on that....

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast