Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Semi Rant....

Title
    Thanks

Semi Rant....

Hi,

Firstly i would like to say that previous versions on VIX have been second to none and i would have it on every e2 box given the chance.

I have recently installed version 2, although now 2.1 is out. i have noticed a huge downwards spiral in performance. the box seems to hang a hell of a lot whilst i view the spinning VIX logo. if i press pause or something there is a good 5 second wait for anything to happen and even then i cant be sure it is what i want.

Basically the original v1 vix image was fantastic. it was so reliable and original, i loved it. now it seems that the image is becomeing "heavy" and very similar to other images giving this lazy response etc.

any one else?
    vu duo 2, vu duo, vu uno. 3 sky zone 2 dishes, 19e 23.5e and 28.2e. Triax td110cm dish on a tripod used for messing around. Satlink meter and rover stc eu.

Title
    Thanks
    Mate i have got to say I think vix 2.1 is the best yet, very good preformance!! i know there is an issue with a dodgy update at the moment but i know that andy and the team are working on it!!! what more can you ask for? after all how much did the image cost you ?

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Can I just ask ...

Before, on vix 1.x image, did you have the timeshift set to record on to usb flash? This would cause the timeshift to go straight through as usb flash isn't slow... If now, it's set to a hdd of some kind, then it will be slower to start up, if the hdd is sleeping...

Other option, is that before you had the standby time set to 0, so it didn't go sleep, whereas now, it's still set to 10 or some other time you've set...

I personally have not seen any difference between 1.x and 2.x (apart from in beta testing, which is to be expected ... that's why we test it, so you don't need the hassles )
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pooface View Post
    Can I just ask ...

Before, on vix 1.x image, did you have the timeshift set to record on to usb flash? This would cause the timeshift to go straight through as usb flash isn't slow... If now, it's set to a hdd of some kind, then it will be slower to start up, if the hdd is sleeping...
    Surely if Timeshift is set to HDD then it wont be sleeping as it would be recording as the OP was commenting about Pause!

Title
    V.I.P
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,791 Times in 1,951 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t.ph View Post
    Surely if Timeshift is set to HDD then it wont be sleeping as it would be recording as the OP was commenting about Pause!
    No, because it will be sleeping before you set timeshift... i.e. box has been turned off for half hour, you turn box on, hdd wakes, won't do anything until hdd has woken. So, will act sluggish/have vix spinners etc... Also, could be he hasn't actually set up pts. So, he has been watching tv for 20 minutes, then, presses pause. Since hdd is asleep, it won't response whilst the hdd wakes! Hence the spinning logo...
    Rules can be found HERE
    Support our sponsor, World-Of-Satellite HERE
    Follow us on Twitter HERE
    -----
    Vu+ Ultimo (ViX Beta), Vu+ Solo (ViX Beta), CT ET9000 (ViX Beta)
    Dark Motor Superior with Inverto Ultra Black Twin LNB
    85cm Gibertini Aluminium Dish

Title
    Thanks
    Yeah i'm with you now

Title
    ViX Beta Tester
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,102 Times in 3,198 Posts
    I'm using the exact same set-up as I was on VIX 1.3 & never had this issue.
    Everything is stored in internal HD.
    Picons, Epg, swap & permanent TS.

Using VIX 2.1 with latest updates applied, I'm getting the spinning VIX every 15 mins tonight, without even changing channels, lasts for about 30 seconds each time.
    any ideas?

Title
    Thanks
    thats whats happening with me also. it is the spinning vix sign all the time. i have a tb hard drive no usb. i dont use the box like most people all i want it for is watching tv, recording tv. i know a lot of people love images to be feature rich, i just like a good epg!!

its very well saying comments like how much did the image cost you etc, if these issues are not addressed then they cant be fixed in new editions.

so feedback... since the move to OpenPLI i have noticed a "noticable" reduction in performance, an increased number of spinning vix logo and general hanging time waiting for the box to do its thing!

I would say that at this moment in time the NewDE image on my 800 is actually performing better. that never used to be the case.

This is just feedback that is all, if there are any tests you want me to do let me know
    vu duo 2, vu duo, vu uno. 3 sky zone 2 dishes, 19e 23.5e and 28.2e. Triax td110cm dish on a tripod used for messing around. Satlink meter and rover stc eu.

Title
    Thanks
    Sorry to be a pain and i know all the hard work, but there is something wrong with 2.1. I manually installed cccam and when i went to the 192:16001 page it would show, when you click on a button it would hang. chans werent clearing.

I grabbed a 1.3 vix image and did a fresh install, within 6 minutes and i am up and running, no hanging or freezing, no spinning logos.

What is the base image that 1.x is based on? is it VTI?

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts
    The base image for the the old pre Vix 2.0 images

were made by us and not based on any other image just like BH/VTI
    All PM,s asking about c/s on cable will be ignored and reported to forum staff!

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,130 Times in 2,737 Posts
    To sort out your problems with VIX 2.0 i would recommend a complete reinstall of the image

i would re-initialize the hard drive using the original VU+ image

then reformat your pen drive and keep all picons/epg/time shift/swap file on a usb stick after installation
    All PM,s asking about c/s on cable will be ignored and reported to forum staff!

Title
    The Boss
    Thanks
    Thanked 26,056 Times in 7,638 Posts
    Pre-2.0 where based on official firmware. We changed because the newer official image became too slow in performance, hence why we've changed the image base. If your having performance issues I would re-flash with ViX2.1, dont update for now and dont add any extras apart from your softcams. Make sure picons are on USB stick, not HDD. Don't restore settings from an older image, start fresh. Then check performance, should be spot on.
    D I S C L A I M E R

My right to post information is protected under the rights for freedom act. In all instances, information discussed here on my posts are either hypothetical in nature, out of general curiosity, common knowledge, public knowledge, or role-play. Any use of the collective descriptions and shared knowledge from any of my posts are at the sole discretion of the reader. I am not responsible for what you do with it!

Please help keep OpenViX online, donate HERE.
    Rules can be found
    HERE
    Support our sponsor World-Of-Satellite
    HERE
    GIGABLUE UHD QUAD 4K, VU+ DUO 4K SE, ZGEMMA H7S, VU+ UNO 4K SE
    Triax 1.1m Powered by TM2600, Fixed 28.2 Zone 2 dish with GT-SAT Unicable

Title
    Thanks
    I did that about 3 times one thing I noticed was after sending my bouquet to the box several chans where greyed out even though they still worked.

The cam wasn't working properly and on the :16001 page it was starting then stopping. Back on 1.3 now setup literally in under 10 mins everything works. No pen drives never used one. My missis actually commented and said the box has gone shit! For her to notice any change there must be something different. Not being disrespectful to the 2.x images but I will be sticking on 1.3.

May try again and see what version is out in 6 months or so. IMO vix1.3, best vu image!

Title
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 1,190 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1978 View Post
    IMO vix1.3, best vu image!
    Agree totally..

But.. In saying that.. The Vix image is now based on open pli and we honestly cant expect to have the image perfect when the the switch was made from original to open pli..

I think these things just take some time to get perfected.. and no doubt they will be perfected in due course..

If Vix 1.3 is working for you now.. then stick with it until you feel its time to change..