Quote Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
What's supplied by an ISP is usually a modem/router. That means that the modem part connects to the phone line (for ADSL or VDSL) or to the cable provider's feed (for Virgin/UPC or whatever) in order to extract the internet protocol data. The router part distributes the data to your home devices, either wirelessly or via CAT 5/6 cable. The device on sale (or sold) in this thread is just a standalone router with wi-fi capabilities so it is perfectly capable of connecting to and routing data to all your home devices (your LAN), but it needs another device to connect to the internet (WAN). This could be a cable modem or ADSL/VDSL modem. Either way, it will need a CAT 5 (RJ45) patch cable to connect to a modem.

The reasons people use these standalone routers vary from needing better wifi coverage to having faster cabled LAN performance or for security reasons or whatever. In the case of your EE supplied modem/router you would put it into bridge mode and turn off all wifi and routing settings. Then you would connect the WAN port of the ASUS router into one of the EE modem LAN ports. You would also need to put your ISP user name and password into the ASUS so it can connect through the EE modem.

The alternative is to get your own router with modem capabilities but you need to ensure that it is compatible with your ISP. In my setup I have a Vodafone supplied VDSL modem/router in bridged mode and use a TP-Link Archer C7 router to support my home LAN and wifi. Hope this makes it clearer
I will probably go down the same route you have, similar setup but I may be contacting you to rack your brains as never really setup anything else on the networking side apart from supplied routers from ISP