Hello Guest, if you are reading this it means you have not registered yet. Please take a second, Click here to register, and in a few simple steps you will be able to enjoy our community and use our OpenViX support section.

Thread: Issue with Channels and Signal?

Title
    Thanks

Issue with Channels and Signal?

Hi,

got a strange issue, my channels stop and start every 20-30 seconds. Seems like a signal issue. The free channels like BBC work perfectly fine.

When I moved in a few months I had new wiring installed from the dish to the wall ports around my house.

The satellite dish cables (2 cables) go into my store room from the outside, which are then extended to my ports around the house. Store room is the location where all my satellite cables meet, my central point.

Dish > store room > house ports. The cables from the dish and the wiring inside my house are connected with extenders.

Not sure if I've got a signal issue, my signal readings from the box are:

SNR: between 49-60
    AGC: 79%
    BER: 0%

I have purchased a cheap signal booster from ebay that will be coming in the next few days, do you think this will make a difference?

If so, do I connect the booster in my store room, at the point where my dish cables and internal cables connect? or shall I connect it at the port behind my box?

If signal booster isn't the answer, what else could I do? Not entirely sure what the cable distance is around my house.

Your responses will be appreciated.

Thanks

Title
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,904 Times in 2,256 Posts
    So if BBC and fta are OK then I would expect all to be OK.
    Booster is a waste of money.
    So the question are using a card to access the non fta (encrypted) channels, if not thats your likely issue.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    ------------------> GT-Sat unicable LNB to 1.5M dish(28.2E)
    ------------------> Gigablue unicable LNB to 80 cm dish(19.2E)
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports
    Zgemma H9 C/S into Giga4K

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by twol View Post
    So if BBC and fta are OK then I would expect all to be OK.
    Booster is a waste of money.
    So the question are using a card to access the non fta (encrypted) channels, if not thats your likely issue.
    Strange, how would I know with my readings above it's not a signal issue?

Title
    Thanks
    Because the Astra 2 satellites providing the sat signals are roughly in the same area and in the UK provide the same strong signal for all UK channels.
    I think the bottom line of my original response is the key question - if you are using a valid card and your FTA channels are working solid without glitching then it shouldn,t glitch on the encrypted channels..
    Last edited by twol; 09-08-16 at 10:43.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:
    .......................> FBC & DVB-S2X into 90cm dish (27.5W) Opticum robust Unicable LNB
    AX HD61, Edision Osmio 4K+, Zgemma H9Combo, Octagon SF8008 , gbtrio4k, h9se using unicable ports

Title
    Thanks
    Because the Astra 2 satellites providing the sat signals are roughly in the same area and in the UK provide the same strong signal for all UK channels.
    I think the bottom line of my original response is the key question - if you are using a valid card and your FTA channels are working solid without glitching then it shouldn,t glitch on the encrypted channels..
    Okay thanks for your reply,

but what can I do to resolve my issue?

Title
    Thanks
    Are you using a valid Sky card?
    If not thats your issue.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Forum Supporter
    Donated Member
    Thanks
    i see it as low levels due to dish out slightly,reading should be in the 90+ for 28.2

i take it when you say extenders cables are joined with an adapter to join 2 f connecting together.
    Last edited by cactikid; 09-08-16 at 20:26.

Title
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cactikid View Post
    i see it as low levels due to dish out slightly,reading should be in the 90+ for 28.2

i take it when you say extenders cables are joined with an adapter to join 2 f connecting together.
    Yes that is correct.

Which reading should be in the 90+? How do realign the dish?

Title
    Thanks
    The only one that matters is SNR and that is not consistent across receivers so its a relative figure that can be used to tune the receiver dish/lnb.
    Aligning a dish first time round can be painful, but is actually easier the more you do it. It helps if you can see the Snr figure (use the installed satfinder) on the TV or use an app on your phone whilst playing with the dish. Google ViX for info on setup there may even be a sticky .
    If its bad alignment just slight (very) changes should fix it.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

Title
    Thanks
    The only one that matters is SNR and that is not consistent across receivers so its a relative figure that can be used to tune the receiver dish/lnb.
    Aligning a dish first time round can be painful, but is actually easier the more you do it. It helps if you can see the Snr figure (use the installed satfinder) on the TV or use an app on your phone whilst playing with the dish. Google ViX for info on setup there may even be a sticky .
    If its bad alignment just slight (very) changes should fix it.
    So it's okay for me to get up on a ladder and move the dish slightly?

Title
    Thanks
    Yes, but you need to be able to see the Snr
    Slightly loosen the bolts, so that it is almost moveable by tapping with a couple of fingers to move the dish left or right. (You don,t want big movements)
    Then tighten enough so its not going to move and adjust the verticle.
    Its worth using something like a marker pencil to note the original positions!
    Tighten everything and then adjust the skew by moving the left sloooowly left and right

Its really not hard, but like everything when you haven,t done it before!
    Last edited by twol; 10-08-16 at 08:43.
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners:

12. The Following User Says Thank You to twol For This Useful Post:

Bangord30 (10-08-16)

Title
    Thanks
    Yes, but you need to be able to see the Snr
    Slightly loosen the bolts, so that it is almost moveable by tapping with a couple of fingers to move the dish left or right. (You don,t want big movements)
    Then tighten enough so its not going to move and adjust the verticle.
    Its worth using something like a marker pencil to note the original positions!
    Tighten everything and then adjust the skew by moving the left sloooowly left and right

Its really not hard, but like everything when you haven,t done it before!
    Okay excellent I will give this a go making sure i'm very careful.

At what SNR percentage do I know the signal is solid? Over 90?

Thank you for your help so far.

Title
    Thanks
    Just as high as you can get it! You are in the UK, so should not be an issue.
    Satfinder is now called signal finder (hadn't noticed the change)
    I am very marginal signal on 28.2E so my SNR varies on my Xtrend from 67% (BBC1) to 95+ on some channels on my 1.5M dish, whereas local channels (19.2E) on my 80cm are around 86%.
    Everything is relative
    Gigablue Quad 4K & UE 4K
    .........FBC Tuners: